THR 1 year follow up on new hip :)

I am glad you guys had some sunshine in the midst of this doom and gloom covid forecast. I never thought I'd live long enough to see NC weather colder than that in Pa but we're giving you a good run for your money. I'm with you, this rain has me wanting to do a king kong off of my housetop.

I can imagine, that would be difficult even without Covid 19 factored in.
That is another good point to consider in your recovery. Seriously, your activities of daily living are more than enough exercise for your new hip.

We had abundant sunshine yesterday where I live, I hope you are getting some sunshiny days, too. Yesterday did so much for my psyche..which is good because now the rain has returned.

We have some fun threads in the Social room here that you might enjoy, too. hugs!

The biggest hurdle is coming home alone w/no help to get on w/life in and out of the home. Its really easy to push yourself into a conundrum trying to keep up.

Hopefully it’s getting easier week by week and you’re mastering a routine that you’re comfortable with. Best wishes for a peaceful week and a good post op appointment on Wednesday. Let us know how it goes. :)

I'm with you, this rain has me wanting to do a king kong off of my housetop.

This is hilarious! As long as you don't do it.. :heehee: Interestingly, we had such a mild winter that I was comparing it to N.C. weather.. but this chilly rainy spell is so depressing.
Today is another beaut of a day.. and hopefully on those sunny days we are all getting outside as much as we can.
How are you feeling today? Are there any other signs of improvement?
Good luck tomorrow, maybe have a list of what you want addressed, that always helps me.

Well, so far I would rate my recovery as 3rd class seating but the way I feel now as 1st class as opposed to the aforementioned rocky road. I went back to the Doctor this week and he gave me a green light w/the use of 1 crutch still but could lose it only until no limping or pain is present which isn't quite yet. He basically said if you have pain I'll see you in a month otherwise I'll see you in a year. I'm going to do my best to make him a stranger. I am in PT but nothing crazy, only basics which I'm very comfortable with. I think Hip patients are all funneled into a basic timeline of average recovery periods by the masses. Its been so long since I've not had hip pain that I sometimes draw a blank to the beginning of this long journey. I hope everyone here has been great w/their hips?

I like that the OS keeps “the light on for you” just in case things don’t settle for you in a month. I also like that you’re going for the positive and hoping not to see him for a year. Using the crutch until the limp is gone is a good course of action. I had to use my cane longer than most but it paid off. I agree that it seems there is this recovery norm in orthopedics and if you seem to fall outside of it, some are not sure what to do with you. Being patient and taking things a little bit at a time is about all you can do at this stage. Time will tell. Some of us had to play that game and had to tweak a few things in the healing process but eventually got to where we are enjoying doing the things we love again. You will, too. Like my OS said: it just takes the time it takes. Then you go from there. Keep us posted of your progress. Continued healing blessings to you.

A belated Happy Two Month Anniversary!
How are you doing? Hopefully you continue to enjoy progress.
Best Wishes for a great Memorial weekend!
@DaddyRabbit

Well guys and gals it been 3.5 months since my surgery an I'm sorry to report I'm in the hurt locker. It seems when I sit or lie down and get up the pain is very significant when I put weight on it and it continues to hurt for the first minute or so and then after walking it off it subsides. This process is constant and repetitive 100% of the time. The doctor has called me back in for more x-rays on the 2nd of July and I'm expecting to receive the worst of news of a loose prosthesis. I have learned a lot of do's and don't when it comes to hip replacements and picking out Doctors. Hindsight thingy. Anywho, I hope all of my fellow hippie brethren is doing great.

Hello @DaddyRabbit
Please don’t expect the worst. Hopefully your assumption is wrong. I’m sorry you continue to struggle with pain, are doing this alone and don’t hold your surgeon in high regard. I can only wish you comfort as you await your appointment in eleven days. Hopefully a diagnosis is made and a plan of action to bring you relief and brighter days soon.
Stay in touch...we’re here for you. :)

Hello @DaddyRabbit
Please don’t expect the worst. Hopefully your assumption is wrong. I’m sorry you continue to struggle with pain, are doing this alone and don’t hold your surgeon in high regard. I can only wish you comfort as you await your appointment in eleven days. Hopefully a diagnosis is made and a plan of action to bring you relief and brighter days soon.
Stay in touch...we’re here for you. :)

Thank you so much Layla! I'll keep my fingers and toes crossed. Its tough to be here w/a 20 yr hip that has been for the most part Perfect and now w/technical advances one 3 months old that I can't seem to keep out of the shop. I'll keep ya posted and may all have a wanniful weekend.

@DaddyRabbit sorry to hear you're having pain but will keep you in my thoughts and prayers. Hope you get better news than you're expecting when you get to see the doc.

Update, went to Doctor yesterday for X-rays and all checked great. The doctor said it wasn't uncommon to have soft tissue pain at this stage in the game. Still, it hurts like crazy on occasion w/out rhyme nor reason. Some days great. Maybe I need to get it exercised by a priest or something? Have any of you hippies felt anything like this in your recoveries? I will post the X-rays when they post them on my chart.

Hi @DaddyRabbit - great to hear about your latest xrays! In response to your question:
At six weeks out from my posterior hip replacement surgery, I tried a PT group because my hip's soft tissues hurt a lot and my gluteals were weak. After going for weeks, I found this PT group rarely touched my painful leg.

With my muscular pain and weakness continuing to be problematic, I looked for a new Physical Therapist. This PT was interested in touching my leg and has extra training in manual, hands on PT, with a CFMT certification, certified functional manual therapy.

Some of what my PT does looks like massage, but his hands on work focuses on getting my muscular soft tissue irritations and adhesions to heal, referred to as soft tissue mobilizations.

I have been with my PT for almost 5 months. As I healed, I began supervised strengthening and range of motion exercises, and am now doing very well.

At about 4 months, I became more active, and at times I over did and caused tendonitis. Fortunately, my PT’s hands on therapy helped settle down my inflamed tissues and I learned to slow down the pace of my activities.

Currently, my pain is gone (by 6 months after surgery) and I now enjoy walking several miles a day, sometimes I do a longer hilly hike, which thrills me. I do daily prescribed (by my PT) exercises.

Please note that I waited until about 6 weeks to start outpatient PT, as this is what my OS directed me to do, as she is concerned that nothing be strenuous while the leg was initially healing. My OS, who generally does not suggest PT, is delighted with how my PT helped me and has lifted all restrictions.

Last edited by a moderator:
P.S. A little more about the painful tendonitis I gave myself
When I first was feeling well enough to be more active, at about 4 months I started to walk one mile a day, I started to have these intermittent really sharp pains in different parts of my surgical leg (my shin, the side of my thigh), hurt so much my leg felt like it was going to give out). Took me awhile to realize this was tendonitis that I had caused because my leg was not ready for the level of activity I was trying to do. My PT helped me recover from my tendonitis, and of course continued to treat where my soft tissues were hurting from my surgery. So, for me, my CFMT physical therapist, allowed me to recover from my hip replacement and from my induced tendonitis.
Take care!

@DaddyRabbit first off I love your humor! I read your thread, and am glad that at least your xrays are good. That counts for a whole lot.

That pain on first walking is something I had for quite a while, more so on the first hip. To get around the ridiculousness, well before I went to get up, I'd do glute clenches, move my legs around, pelvic rocking, discreet herl-toe raises in place, wiggle my hips to and fro, and stand slowwwwwlyyyyy. Especially getting out of the car! Since I'd already mobilized, warmed, and primed the soft tissue, it complained less, and was less apt to throw me to the ground first and ask questions later. After a good while, this rigamarole wasn't needed.

Here's something for you- every hip is different. Also...... you are not 36 any more........so your soft tissues have more issues (gesundheit!).

Sorry, I'm punchy tonight. Have a relaxing weekend!

Thats more or less the same formula for pain that I'm on right now. It sometimes feels the worse after sitting on a hard non forgiving surface. This recovery time really does suck after coming from a life full of activity. I can even tell a drastic difference from one pair of shoes to another.

Last edited by a moderator:
@DaddyRabbit first off I love your humor! I read your thread, and am glad that at least your xrays are good. That counts for a whole lot.

That pain on first walking is something I had for quite a while, more so on the first hip. To get around the ridiculousness, well before I went to get up, I'd do glute clenches, move my legs around, pelvic rocking, discreet herl-toe raises in place, wiggle my hips to and fro, and stand slowwwwwlyyyyy. Especially getting out of the car! Since I'd already mobilized, warmed, and primed the soft tissue, it complained less, and was less apt to throw me to the ground first and ask questions later. After a good while, this rigamarole wasn't needed.

Here's something for you- every hip is different. Also...... you are not 36 any more........so your soft tissues have more issues (gesundheit!).

Sorry, I'm punchy tonight. Have a relaxing weekend!
I have enjoyed your "Punchy" assessment of my mundane at best hip recovery. Its funny you mentioned getting out of the car because that has to be a well thought out plan while attempting to be innocuous to the surroundings. It goes something like stand there and fumble with assorted things at vehicle waiting for the associated pain to abate enough to crab walk into your destination. I've also done enough toe raises and heel walks this weekend that one of my buddies asked if I was auditioning for a Charlie Chaplin movie. Yeah, this old age definitely leaves a lot to be desired.

Just in case: it is suggested that you not wear shoes you wore before surgery as they may have modeled to your walk before and now throw off your gait causing issues as well. I had not even considered that until reading it here on the forum. Time is usually the best tincture for those soft tissues. You can always investigate further if they don’t get better and/or begin to impact your daily activities.

IMG_8712.jpg

Just in case: it is suggested that you not wear shoes you wore before surgery as they may have modeled to your walk before and now throw off your gait causing issues as well. I had not even considered that until reading it here on the forum. Time is usually the best tincture for those soft tissues. You can always investigate further if they don’t get better and/or begin to impact your daily activities.
I did not know this. These blasted Ecco's and new balances aren't cheap either. Oh well shoe fetish, prepare t be fed. Thank you for the advice that I was so oblivious to.

@DaddyRabbit love the shoe fetish being fed! :heehee: I know after my surgery there were a couple pair of shoes that I had to do away with but not all. By the time I had surgery there were only a few pairs that I could actually stand to wear. And, some of the ones that bothered me prior to surgery felt great after.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023
  • EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024
  • Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Forum statistics

Threads