THR 5 weeks post op

@Cmoon I am sorry you’ve had such a rough time. I totally understand your fatigue since I have psoriatic arthritis and fatigue is a well known problem for me too. Are you on any biologics? I‘m on Tremfya a self injection every 8 weeks. I was pretty nervous about surgery since biologics can raise your risk of infection.
I am not. I take Hydroxychloroquine daily and I need to up my vitamin D. I was on methotrexate, what a terrible drug. It helped maybe two weeks in the 6 month period I took it. Weened off a month before surgery and haven’t started back up despite my rheumatologist directions. Right now it feels my fatigue levels are normally out, I’ve not having episodes every other day anymore which is good. But I am now since I’ve overdone it the past few days of walking and standing, cooking. Time to relax again. Hope you are well!

REST-I have Ehlers Danlos so I understand the fatigue issue. Sometimes you need to put your foot down and tell them you need a break. I was told you shouldn’t be starting physio until at least 6 weeks post op, so the issues are likely due to overdoing it way to early.

People like us need a bit more time to heal and recover, and you really need to pace yourself. If your body is sore, then you are doing too much.

Hi @Cmoon I had outpatient PT yesterday and was also told to start putting full weight on both feet when I walk and also when I stand up. I've been doing the thing they had me doing in the hospital... right leg out straight and stand up with left leg. I've been doing that for 6 weeks! PT said that's why the left hip is starting to hurt and the right hip is weak. It amazes me how fast I got into the habit of sticking my right leg out and standing with the left. I'm still doing stairs one at a time, always "up with the left, down with the right." I'm not strong enough to start with my right. Yet. And I'm still on "do not bend" restriction. I never realized how often I drop things until I got this hip replaced. I'm always looking for my grabber to pick things up. lol Putting on shorts is fun too.:)
The sun is out today and it makes me feel better. I hope you have a great day today.

REST-I have Ehlers Danlos so I understand the fatigue issue. Sometimes you need to put your foot down and tell them you need a break. I was told you shouldn’t be starting physio until at least 6 weeks post op, so the issues are likely due to overdoing it way to early.

People like us need a bit more time to heal and recover, and you really need to pace yourself. If your body is sore, then you are doing too much.
Now that I’m using a cane, I definitely need to take it easy. My hip has been sore every day now and my ankle and foot swelling is back. Rest is so important for us. I wish I knew that physio shouldn’t start until the 6th week. I’m done with home PT and waiting for outpatient. I’ll go one day and see how it goes.

Hi @Cmoon I had outpatient PT yesterday and was also told to start putting full weight on both feet when I walk and also when I stand up. I've been doing the thing they had me doing in the hospital... right leg out straight and stand up with left leg. I've been doing that for 6 weeks! PT said that's why the left hip is starting to hurt and the right hip is weak. It amazes me how fast I got into the habit of sticking my right leg out and standing with the left. I'm still doing stairs one at a time, always "up with the left, down with the right." I'm not strong enough to start with my right. Yet. And I'm still on "do not bend" restriction. I never realized how often I drop things until I got this hip replaced. I'm always looking for my grabber to pick things up. lol Putting on shorts is fun too.:)
The sun is out today and it makes me feel better. I hope you have a great day today.
My problem is my gait for sure, I graduated from a walker a week ago and am using a cane now. Trying to balance things out. I’ve beeen standing more and cooking, not huge meals or anything but I’m definitely feeling the soreness in both my hips now. Still have a limp, trying to fix my gait and remember hip flex, heel to toe. I still sway my leg out. I drop a lot of things too ha ha I never realized!
Get some sun! Its important to not be stuck inside so much! I hope you have a great day too

I have over done things myself and had to cut back on my exercises. I think we have to keep pushing ourselves slightly though, or as I have been told things heal but they heal the way they are and then you can't move any further. So you have to keep stretching it. I find I am always trying to show my physiotherapist how good I am doing, and that doesn't help either. So what I am saying, basically, is push yourself but know your limits. Gently. Gradually. They are there to guide us but we are the boss. I think they can be a bit pushy sometimes because some people are too reluctant even though they could do more. So it is a hard thing for them to know unless we tell them.

A belated Happy Two Month Anniversary!
I drop a lot of things too ha ha I never realized!
Isn't it crazy that it seems we drop things more at a time when we struggle to pick things up. :wink:
Keep up the heel-toe walking and the limp will soon be history. Enjoy the rest of the week!

It’s past midnight.

The fans are circulating the cool air around the room

I can hear the humming of the motor

I can hear the light sniffles of my dogs

My husband next to me, his face illuminated by the moonlight.

It’s peaking through the curtains, His tough exterior has softened. His hands are rough and callused. He’s peacefully asleep.

Im still laying here, awake.

My mind is racing, wondering when I can regain my freedom.

I feel trapped most days.

I’m pleading with my brain to process my next step, to keep myself balanced and strong. Muscle memory.

I can hear the train coming, it’s blowing it’s horn through the crossing, waking the stillness of the outside world.

It’s been months since I’ve experienced breaking through the silence of the night.

Eyes scanning everywhere, left to right to straight ahead and left to right again. Miles away. Always on high alert.

The vibrations shaking my seat and shifting side to side.

The radio chirping, the engine howling behind me. Rumbling. The wind creeping in through the windows. I smile. I feel freedom.

A few more months and I can get back with my life, with my career. I never thought I would miss work this much.

It’s now past 1am, my dogs have switched positions and sandwiched themselves, one between my legs and the other pressed against the outside of my leg.

My husband has tossed and turned.

I’m wondering why I even wrote this but this is what’s on my mind.
I hope this little depression moves quickly.

I saw my X-ray the other day. It’s shocking still that I have a titanium hip. I know I have it but to see it, that was a mixed emotion. Is that normal?
I’m ranting.

Goodnight.

327EA677-9C35-4F76-8405-34988AA361B0.jpeg

It’s past midnight.

The fans are circulating the cool air around the room

I can hear the humming of the motor

I can hear the light sniffles of my dogs

My husband next to me, his face illuminated by the moonlight.

It’s peaking through the curtains, His tough exterior has softened. His hands are rough and callused. He’s peacefully asleep.

Im still laying here, awake.

My mind is racing, wondering when I can regain my freedom.

I feel trapped most days.

I’m pleading with my brain to process my next step, to keep myself balanced and strong. Muscle memory.

I can hear the train coming, it’s blowing it’s horn through the crossing, waking the stillness of the outside world.

It’s been months since I’ve experienced breaking through the silence of the night.

Eyes scanning everywhere, left to right to straight ahead and left to right again. Miles away. Always on high alert.

The vibrations shaking my seat and shifting side to side.

The radio chirping, the engine howling behind me. Rumbling. The wind creeping in through the windows. I smile. I feel freedom.

A few more months and I can get back with my life, with my career. I never thought I would miss work this much.

It’s now past 1am, my dogs have switched positions and sandwiched themselves, one between my legs and the other pressed against the outside of my leg.

My husband has tossed and turned.

I’m wondering why I even wrote this but this is what’s on my mind.
I hope this little depression moves quickly.

I saw my X-ray the other day. It’s shocking still that I have a titanium hip. I know I have it but to see it, that was a mixed emotion. Is that normal?
I’m ranting.

Goodnight.
You just described me exactly during the first few weeks (I'm on week 7 now). And YES on the xray. Hubby took me on week 3 to see the surgeon for follow up and he showed us the xray. I was shocked to see that metal thing going down into my leg bone! I try not to think about what I saw. I'm a very emotional type person so those things affect me. I've also been feeling very depressed lately, feeling like I'm trapped in this semi-broken body. I want to go back to normal living. What is normal anyway? Hang in there @Cmoon we can get through this together. -Barbara

Been awhile since I posted.
My new hip has been fine, the occasional swelling and soreness is still present.
My right non operated hip is now causing issues, jolting me to a stop while I walk, having pain when I lift my leg. The same issues I had with my left hip before I was diagnosed with the necrosis. I wrote my surgeon asking if he could look at my X-ray from my last appointment on 8/19, he said he noticed there was some changes showing the necrosis rating it from mild to moderate, to keep icing it and rest. I see him on the 21st, possibly have an mri of this hip and go from there. My return to work date was already pushed back to the end of Nov, now with this new pain, who knows what I will have in store for me.
Feeling a bit down about this all, I feel like I can’t catch a break.

Cmoon,
Just reading your posts from last few weeks, and I'm with you, can't believe I have this titanium hip, It's just so odd, I was saying on one of my crying jags months ago that I wanted my real hip back, but I fell and fractured it...
This is certainly a long journey we are all on, but like all long trips it will end and we won't think about the hip at some point, I'm waiting.
All my best to you

Good luck with your appointment today.
I hope you receive some good news or reassurance and the pain you're dealing with eases.
Happy Three Month Anniversary, here is a flower to brighten your day. :flwrysmile:
@Cmoon

Good luck with your appt!

Thank you all that wished me good luck with my appointment. I had to reschedule but I ended up seeing my surgeon yesterday. My leave is now extended another 3 months, past my Nov 21 return to work date. We spoke of my issues and concerns with my non operated hip (right) and are now going to keep it under a watchful eye. Starting in 6 weeks, I will be heading in for another X-ray and we will go from there but as for replacing it, his direct words were “do not get mad at me but yes, you will need your right hip replaced”
I am his youngest patient with necrosis, and my recovery has been an up and down battle.
He told me I had so much flexibility prior to surgery, that I am still at a high risk for dislocation if I’m not careful. I have to rely on my cane for assistance and I can’t even walk around my house or backyard without needing to sit because my right hip is painful and jolts me to a stop. So I will be alternating my walker when needed, and back to using the motorized carts at the grocery. I’m trying to stay positive but I am bummed. I will be going into the new year with plans to replace my other hip.
I’m currently awaiting for aquatic physical therapy as that’s all he recommends for me because of my recovery and my lupus.
Hopefully I can get in soon.

Wow, that's a lot for a young woman like yourself, so sorry you are going through so much and facing another replacement.
Hang in there, easy for us to say but I know how impatience can get to you, just wanting to be normal and active again.
I think getting in the pool will definitely help you. My son has a pool and it felt great being weightless when I went to his house and walked in the water.
I wish you well.

@Cmoon I totally agree. i started the heal to toe and it helps a lot but feels weird since so many weeks i didnt put much weight on my bad leg for months

I am bummed. I will be going into the new year with plans to replace my other hip.
I'm sorry you have to endure this so soon. Sending a hug and best wishes for all you're dealing with. :console2:

I feel so defeated. I can no longer bare weight on my right leg, sharp pain when I do and feeling of unstableness. Iced it most the day, used my walker to go to the bathroom and back, and popped a hydrocodone. I absolutely hate pain killers but it was needed, didn’t help much when I was on it for the very limited time. Thank you all

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023
  • EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024
  • Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Forum statistics