BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

Dismiss Notice

[THR] 5 Weeks Post Op Hip Surgery Still Draining

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Recovery Area' started by safari91, Apr 29, 2019.

1. safari91

safari91 new member

United States United States
    Hi everyone. 1st time here, but have been perusing everywhere to find help. Right hip surgery March 25th. Surgery went perfect, went home on the 27th. Everything was going pretty well, when I had a little football forming on my stitch line.

Then just before the staples came out, It opened up and drained. Went to the Dr. and they said it was a bursa sac that had drained. I saw the x-ray, and there was liquid in it. They said not to worry come back in a month. About a week later, it started draining again. This time a little more yellow color. So I am freaking out. Went back to the DR. the next day. They told me that some sutures must have broken, and it should be fine. Just might take about 4-6 weeks to heal. What??

So here is where I am at. Still draining, but not a lot. I do change the band aid every 3-5 hours, and there is still drainage. Question is, I am thinking it might need an antibiotic to finish healing. I have had several major surgeries, none like this though!! If you have had a similar experience, or have knowledge of what is going on. I would be interested and grateful for your input.

2. KathyB

KathyB junior member

@safari91 Hi, this site will have great info for you during your recovery and also be a place to connect with others for support. One of the moderators/advisors will be in touch with you shortly with recovery guidelines as well as advice regarding the incision drainage you are experiencing. Best wishes for your recovery.

• Like Like x 1
  3. safari91

safari91 new member

Thank you for the quick and kind response. This drainage thing is making me go cuckoo. Other than that I’m doing very well. I look forward to hearing from them.

4. clodaghcov

clodaghcov senior

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    @safari91 Ho, you sound to bedoing really well except for this draining, hopefully as you feel well it is not too worrying, however any kind of symptoms that could be caused by infection need to be addressed and if i were you iwould be contacting my consultant for reassurance. I am someonewho has had infection and felt very poorly, you sound well which is great, just put your mind at rest and contact himmx

• Like Like x 1
  5. Carriemay60

Carriemay60 post-grad

Canada Canada
    I think that development would leave me a bit cuckoo as well. I would be wanting antibiotic even if it was precautionary. From what I've seen, infections are no fun at all. Do you have any temperature? A Bonesmart staff should be along soon and perhaps they will tag our nurse for you. :)

• Like Like x 2
  6. GrannyC

GrannyC post-grad

I’m not a medical person either but I’d definitely keep in close contact with my OS office and maybe get them to give you a bit more specifics on what to watch for, how you should be treating incision and how long until you can expect it to clear up. Don’t worry about bugging them or being a pain. That is what we pay them the big bucks for!!

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
  7. Layla

Layla FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Good Morning, Welcome to BoneSmart. Thank you for joining us here.

I'm sorry you're struggling with an incision that continues to drain. I feel you should contact the office of your OS and express your concerns in regard to infection. Personally, I'd want it to be monitored more closely and if you can't get any satisfaction from your OS, I'd consider contacting my Primary Care Physician.

Some common signs of infection are:
    Fever
    Unusual or increasing pain
    The incision is hot to the touch
    A change in the size of the incision
    A change in the odor of the discharge
    A yellow or green discharge that is increasing
    Redness or hardening of the surrounding area
    Excessive bleeding that has soaked through the incision

Are you experiencing any of the above symptoms? I was cautioned by the forum Nurse early in my recovery that there's potential risk involved each time you change the bandage with an open wound. Wondering who advised you change it as often as you are? I'd advise you contact a medical professional for another evaluation.

Please find below the Recovery Guidelines. Stop back and let us know what you hear about your draining incision. We'll be here to offer support and encouragement as you continue on your recovery journey.

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
    1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
    2. Control discomfo
    rest
    elevate
    ice
    take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
    3. Do what you want to do BUT
    a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
    b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.
    4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
    5. At week 4 and after you should follow this
    6. Access to these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
    Healing: how long does it take?
    Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
    Energy drain for THRs
    Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it

Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
    Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask the at each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

• Like Like x 3
  8. safari91

safari91 new member

Thank you all for the quick response. Well this morning has been the best one yet. When I went to bed last night, we had dressed it with 2 gauze pads and some tape. This morning , maybe a drop or two. Did not even reach the other gauze pad. Wow!!It looks a lot better!. I am still going to see the Dr. though. Just to be safe. Gives a whole new meaning to the words, one day at a time.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  9. Jaycey

Jaycey SUPER MODERATOR Moderator

@safari91 Sounds like things may have already turned around for you on this drainage. But you are right to keep on top of this. Please let us know what your doctor says.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Mojo333

Mojo333 FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Glad to hear things are improving!
    This recovery business is an emotional rollercoaster.
    Glad you are still following up with the doctor.
    Healing vibes coming your way!:yes:

• Like Like x 2
  11. safari91

safari91 new member

Well I had an appointment with my Podiatrists today. Good timing perhaps :)). I took a couple of pictures of the incision before my appt. hoping I might get to have a short dialoque with him. And yes , he took the time and looked at the pictures, and reassured me that all is well. That was extremely nice of him, and very good news to me. And just the fact that he took the time with me was really nice. So with thoughts, and all of you on this forum. I would like you to know that tonight I will be resting much better. My 6 week check up is next Wed. with my OS. So unless anything drastic changes, I am going to continue my path to healing, and ride this last week of the emotional rollercoaster this surgery has been. Also, a follow up from my Dr. visit next week. <3.

• Like Like x 3
  12. Glenbud2

Glenbud2 new member

Infection is no joke and not to be taken lightly. If the doctors did some bloodwork, they would know by having an elevated red count which is an indicator of infection the bloodwork would also reveal your SED rate, which is also an indicator of infection. It’s better to get this checked out more sooner than later.

Good luck and may the Lord provide you with a fast and efficient recovery!

• Like Like x 2
  13. safari91

safari91 new member

Hey Glenbud2. I read about your Operation and what's going on. OMG. Your a tough son of a gun!! My prayers are with you. I am gonna take your advice and all my primary DR. in the morning, and have him order me a blood test, I am do for one anyway. including checking for infections. I see my OS next Wed. for my 6 week, and will voice my concerns to him. Better safe than sorry. Hang in there. If you ever need someone to talk, Let me know. I am new here, but so far I really like it. Thanks for the info.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  14. safari91

safari91 new member

Hey All. I went to the Dr. Yesterday (5/8/19) for my 6 week check up. The drainage has but a tiny, tiny bit stopped. All seems well. The Dr. is very happy. The leakage that I had was from the Bursa Sac. Must have overdone it a bit, and irritated it. But for now, seems fine. I have a follow up in 4 weeks , and he said if there is any more drainage to come back in 2 weeks. I am walking 1/2 mile every other day, and doing normal life stuff. Oh Joy. I guess overall it was a successful surgery. My pain in the hip was gone as soon as woke from recovery. I never really did have any swelling in my legs. I did wear those compression leggings 24/7 for 10 days, minus washing them every other day. Stairs (16 of them) started as soon as I got home. That might have been the irritation to the Bursa. In any event. This is a Great Forum, and I glad I found it. Should anything change, I'll let ya know. Until then. Thoughts and Prayers for anyone having any issues. Try not to worry, and Please Do Not rush it. another couple weeks isn't gonna make any difference. Take your time, and let it heal. God Bless.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  15. Layla

Layla FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

What a thoughtful person you are. We're happy you found the forum. I'm sure those in recovery with issues appreciate your thoughts, prayers, concern and advice.

It's good to hear the incision looks okay and the draining seems to be coming to an end.
    Thank you for updating. Please stay in touch. We'd love to follow your journey as you continue on the road to recovery :walking:

A great Spring to you!
    @safari91

• Like Like x 1
  16. LAbabymama

LAbabymama member

Thank you for your update @safari91. I’ve been dealing with some yellow drainage from my incision and your post made me a lot less nervous. I also have no other signs of infection and was worrying that maybe I should take an antibiotic as a precaution, but I was reluctant to do that unless absolutely necessary. Well the drainage has since stopped and I feel fine. Hopefully it was nothing!

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  17. safari91

safari91 new member

Well that is Great news LAbabymama. My understanding is, that yellow color is not an infection. But keep a close eye on it. Simply because if there is an opening, it could easily go the other way. Sounds like it just finishing up, like mine. Nice to hear from you. Probably the nicest and most informative forum on the net for related topics. Have a Great evening and a easy recovery. Hope everything stays well, and we can all move forward one step at a time.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  18. Mojo333

Mojo333 FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

:wave:Glad to hear you are doing well!
    Lots of improvement to come.
    Month four was my biggest turnaround.
    Slow and steady does win this race.

Hope you have a good weekend!:SUNsmile:

• Like Like x 1
  19. safari91

safari91 new member

Woo Hoo. Two days, completely dry and looking good. Putting my shoes on without assistance, and walking about a half mile or more every other day. Still doing my stretches and resistance bands daily. I sure I good go further and do a little more, but tomorrow is another day, lol. My chores around the house have increased immensely. Almost (Monday) is 7 weeks since surgery, getting better with each passing day. Happy Mothers Day to All of you Moms out there. <3

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Jaycey

Jaycey SUPER MODERATOR Moderator

Glad this recovery has gone well for you @safari91 ! You will continue to see progress for many months. Enjoy that new hip!

• Like Like x 1