Hip Resurfacing 5 Weeks Pain<

A few of the hip resurfacing surgeons don't prescribe PT after surgery out of concern that PT might be overly aggressive and end up doing harm. Resurfaces aren't common and can be confused with a THR. I think Dr. Gross is one of them. Dr. De Smet too.

My guess is that Dr. Gross thinks the risk of having someone poke and prod your injured hip exceeds any possible benefit from the PT.

Good luck!

Hello @wendys

Just stopping by to wish you well. I think your hip resurfacing is coming up very soon. Hope everything goes well and you are finally on your way to healing and mobility. Best wishes Wendy. Sarah

:wave: Hey @wendys
Not long to go now. We'll be here waiting to hear how things are going for you after your next procedure. Wishing you comfort as you await next Monday.

:nah:Had my left hip resurfacing Monday 2/24/20
Everything went very smoothly. No vomiting this time. Pain well controlled. I am on day 3 and the swelling and pain seem worse today? I’m on the slow path to recovery due to my last experience with a fracture at 5 weeks post op. He’s cautious this time. So I’m on walker with 10% weight bearing for 4 weeks, then two weeks as much as I feel comfortable. Once I have my 6 week follow up I will progress to a cane Lord willing.
Very very tired

Attachments

• E6628C3E-EBBF-4080-ABCF-CF18A9879003.jpeg
    E6628C3E-EBBF-4080-ABCF-CF18A9879003.jpeg
    13.4 KB · Views: 195
Happy to see your update, glad surgery is over and you're back on recovery road. Not really too familiar with resurfacing but I'm assuming the recovery is somewhat along the same guidelines as THR. So yeah, day 3-5 can be pretty intense. Don't forget to elevate and ice ice baby! :ice::ice:

Lots of ice. My leg keeps going numb when I elevate it. Might have something to do with spinal block?

Hi Wendys.. how are you elevating? Are you sure there isn't a part of your elevation device pressing into your leg?
Other than that, I think you may be right and it's a hang over from your spinal or maybe from what they injected in and around your joint?
I sure would suggestion asking your OS tomorrow, though. Just to be certain.
I hope you can get some sleep tonight.

:hi: @wendys
I'm so glad you aren't sick like you were last time and that all went well.
You know our body does it's best healing while we are resting, so hope you got some restorative sleep.
It's been quite a long past year of healing for you and I'm sure you are liable to be tentative these first weeks due to the complications with your last one ...but I say let's cruise right on past these first weeks easy does it fashion!
Healing mojo coming your way:loveshwr::loveshwr::loveshwr:

Last edited:
Happy to see you on the recovery side @wendys Sounds like your OS has you on an excellent path to complete recovery. Hoping the numbness is gone today. Hoping pain medication is keeping you comfortable. ❤️

One week ago today was my hip resurfacing on the left this time with Dr Gross. Because I suffered a fracture in the first one I am on the slow recovery. I have good Vitamin D level and my Dexa was good but he’s being extra careful. I’ve really been struggling with restless leg at night when in bed which causes me to tighten my muscles. I had a bit of pain from that the third night. I’m on 10% body weight and limited walking. I am taking two weeks off. I have a desk job so it shouldn’t be too tough to go back. I’m just so paranoid to experience another fracture this time! I can’t take another one!
Doing everything by the book as and/or Drs. Orders this time.... including taking Fosamax for 6 months.

Hi @wendys It’s good to hear from you! Thanks for updating.
Do a little research and consider Magnesium, if you’re not using it already for the restless legs.

Magnesium supports the following:
Bone health
Healthy blood sugar
Cardiovascular health
Muscle relaxation and nerves
Promotes healthy sleep (falling asleep and staying asleep)

An article on Magnesium -
https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/magnesium-is-a-star.20301/

I've also heard of drinking 4-6 oz of Q-Tonic before bed which is a water that contains quinine. Read the label as some of the waters do not contain quinine, but quinine flavoring instead.

Wishing you all the best as you begin healing.

My wife sometimes has issues with restless legs at night or on long plane rides. She uses Restful Legs by Hyland's and it works well for her @wendys, it's usually found with homeopathic medicines in the drug store.

I found the magnesium helpful, too. I remember having those tightening muscles, and what a way to wake up! (said no one ever)
Wishing you the best in the next few weeks.. be kind to yourself.

Going to try all of the above! Thank you. Made the decision today to take three full weeks off instead of two. Going to give my body more time to heal. Thanks all. Wendy

So glad you’re taking the full 3 weeks. 6 weeks would be even nicer :ok:
But maybe 3 will be enough.
Just try to bear in mind, trying to rush things rarely works.
I hope you are having a good night.

I promise to behave! I’m one mile drive to work, have a desk job, can put my leg up and work. I was given a parking placard this time around so no unnecessary walking. I’m not doing anything more than the bare minimum. Thank you!!!! Wendy

Ooh,, the coveted parking placard.. :heehee: I had one for my first hip.. I mainly needed it during the wait for surgery. I was so sad when it expired..

I went back to work fairly early (not at 3 weeks though!) @wendys one thing that really helped was taking ice packs and a large ace bandage into work. That allowed me to ice and still get up to walk to the printer etc. It was a big help.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom