Hip Resurfacing 5 Weeks Pain<

Hi,
Just checking in to see how you're doing and how you're handling work. Hopefully you're adjusting well.
How did your visit with the surgeon go?
Leave us an update when you have time. We'd love to read about your progress.
A great week to you! :wave:
@wendys

Hi @Layla - I go tomorrow to surgeon for 6 week follow up and xray. My left hip is on FIRE so they are going to do a steroid injection in that hip. I’m doing pretty well with work. I go home when I feel it’s too much. Luckily have a very great employer. I’ll update tomorrow once I see how all is healing. Thank you!!!

Wendy

Last edited:
Good Morning,
Sorry to hear about your left hip. I hope the injection brings you speedy relief.
Good luck with your appt today. Will look forward to an update if you care to share. :)
@wendys

Well....I had my 6 week follow up today and received very disappointing news. I have to continue the use of a walker for at least 3 more months. No weight bearing any more than 50% max in next two months. I go back in a month for more X-Rays and another f/u. Also I’m not to do any unnecessary walking and absolutely no exercises...not even step 1 PT!

I guess I was under the impression that my hip would heal faster than it will. Dr.Gross said it will take a long time, likely more than six months. He’s not very hopeful that left hip can be done this year. He didn’t recommend a cortisone injection because that hip is bone on bone and it won’t really help. He prescribed Vicodin for nighttime but I’m pretty sure I will vomit from it. So, I just gotta dig deep and not be depressed. I can swim, I can work full time and I can drive. Do I get a wheelchair? Is that dramatic?

Wendy

Everything I read on line is how important physical therapy is for hip fracture recovery....is it weird that Dr Gross told me to do nothing?

Wendy, I bet the fracture is in a very vulnerable spot to refracture. I bets that's why he wants no weight bearing.

Thanks

Larry

Hi @ljpviper He told me I could gradually increase weight bearing up to 50% of my body weight but very limited walking and NO PT or exercises of any kind. I just never had a Dr tell me to not do exercises.

:hi: I know this is a long road, but I am glad you are doing all you can to stay up...stress is horrid for our immune systems.:sad:
Healing vibes coming your way @wendys :roseshwr:

Thank you @Mojo333 I am feeling very depressed and alienated by life. Things that I enjoyed before I cannot do. I know this will pass and I know it could be worse but I’m still frustrated.

Your surgeon is being cautious - certainly to your benefit. I know this non-weight bearing business is a bore. But just hang in there. It's really a short space of time for a lifetime of no more hip pain.

Just wondering if there is anything diet wise that you could do to aid healing that fracture. Maybe ask your surgeon's office.

@Jaycey I started Keto shortly after the second surgery. Down 11 pounds so far. I heard elimination of sugar and carbs help alleviate inflammation. Surgeon just said to swim, walk very minimal and that’s it...no other PT. He said I’m still healing from hip resurfacing and a fracture on top of that so the less I do the better in my situation. I’m so used to going non stop and it’s so hard to just sit around.

I know it is hard, but you are doing good, girl.:yes:

The physical part is a time game, but the mind game is the hard part.:unsure:

When you get to make up for this...you will be proud you let this heal the right way in the time it takes.

I know it's tough... but so are you.

Wishing you some peace and lots of healing hugs.:loveshwr:

I'm sorry you're feeling down. It's certainly understandable. You feel like you're missing out, but thankfully it's only temporary.
Congrats on the weight loss, that's a positive. And you can swim, drive and go to work too.
Maybe you should consider renting a wheel chair for a bit, as you mentioned, so you're able to do more and feel less restrained. You're doing well in a tough situation. Please continue to stop by often, we're here for you.
I hope you have a nice weekend!
@wendys

Just ordered a wheelchair today from Amazon. You are so right...need to be a bit more mobile to get out of this funk. It’s so nice out here in SC and I’m inside all the time. Thank you for all your support and encouragement! @Layla have you ever heard of post fracture being no activity or exercise before? I just feel odd not doing any Physical Therapy! Wendy

Good Morning, sweet Wendy :wave:
Great news! You may as well get out and enjoy the beautiful Summer weather and utilizing a wheel chair temporarily will certainly make it easier to do more and see more, saving you time also. I'm happy to hear it.

I understand you questioning your doctor after the Fosamax recommendation you didn't agree with. Wise choice by the way, in my opinion. I'd like to draw @Josephine in to comment on your surgeon's direction in regard to physical activity and exercise. Let's see what she has to say given her experience in Orthopedics. Please check back periodically in case she has questions. I'll look forward to her response with you.
I hope you have a wonderful weekend!
@wendys

Well I had my 6 week follow up today and received very disappointing news. I guess I was under the impression that my hip would heal faster than it will. Dr Gross said it will take a long time, likely more than six months. He’s not very hopeful that left hip can be done this year.
Sorry, but I think he's right.
He assured me that a hip fracture is a well known risk to hip arthroplasty surgery
Hip fracture is a well known risk to hip resurfacing, not arthroplasty - this term includes total hip replacement.
Everything I read on line is how important physical therapy is for hip fracture recovery. Is it weird that Dr Gross told me to do nothing?
Not at all.

Wendy, the dates in your signature has me a bit confused. Can you check them as see if they are correct?
Have you really booked a resurfacing for December 2019?

Left Hip Resurfacing December 2019
Right THR Fracture Repair June 19, 2019
Right THR May 13, 2019

I was supposed to have been able to have left hip resurfacing done in December but that’s on hold. Thank you. And right about fracture being a complication of hip resurfacing not replacement. Sorry to have confused you. Wendys

Hello and Happy New Year!
I read elsewhere you're still dealing with stiffness, limping and pain since your fracture repair of seven months ago. I'm sorry you're still struggling. Wondering how your OS is reassuring or advising? Hopefully you will continue to see improvement over the next several months. Please join us again for support and encouragement as you move toward your February 24th Left Hip Resurfacing. We're here for you. :)
Hope you have a pleasant week!
@wendys

Just had xrays done to confirm my recovering hip can handle my next surgery as scheduled...waiting to hear! The more I move the better I feel but my job is sedentary so weekdays are tough. Thanks!!!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
August it is
Recent bookmarks