Hip Resurfacing 5 Weeks Pain<

My incision from hip resurfacing six weeks ago was 6”...for this surgery yesterday to repair a hairline fracture was an additional 6”. They cut through the previously healed original incision and then 6” more.
Dr Gross was pleased that he was able to place a steel plate around the fracture area and screw it with nuts and bolts. Recovery expected to be much more intense this time. Wendy xoxo

:hi: Sending you healing vibes and good mojo...
Just rest, breathe , stay medicated and heal!
:angel:

I'm sorry Recovery will be more intense this time. At least the surgery part is behind you.
Wishing you comfort as you begin healing.
I hope your weekend is a peaceful one. :console2:
@wendys

I've just read your thread and I'm so sorry to hear about what you've had to go through:scare: hope that now you will have a much smoother recovery and that you will start to feel better soon:praying: sending prayers your way:prayer:

:zzz: I appreciate that! I can’t believe how sore and tight my quad muscle is! Hurts to shift in my seat. I will push through!

You can do this! :yes!:
We're here for you, day or night. I hope today is a good day.
Sending a hug :console2:
@wendys

I’m so sorry that this happened to you @wendys It will get easier. My scar is a foot long too. Looks much better at 3 month mark. My weight baring restrictions were lifted and healing has continued to advance. I hope you get to rest comfortably and let the healing commence. Sending healing wishes. :flwrysmile:

Thank you @Fit4Family Question - how do I know what 10% of my body weight feels like? I’m really feeling depressed because of this setback. I’m out of work again with no pay for another 4 weeks. Ughhh

I will try to stay positive and I remind myself how amazing my surgeon was. The appliance he put in is crazy looking! I’m at Day five after surgery and having lots of incision and thigh pain.

Thanks for your kind and encouraging words.

Wendy

Good Morning,
A physical therapist should have instructed you on weight bearing before you were discharged. My understanding is a scale is used. You place your op foot on a scale applying whatever amount of pressure it takes to get to the magic number, in your case, whatever 10% of your body weight is. It helps you get a feeling for the amount of weight / pressure you can put on your affected leg. If you're working with a PT, they should definitely be able to guide you through this.

Sorry your struggling with pain. Be sure to take your meds on schedule and ice often. The forum nurse
recommends icing for 40-60 mins, no less, each time you ice. Do this several times daily as well as elevate, toes above nose. Hang in there, it will get better.
Hugs :console2:
@wendys

Good Morning @wendys Laylas answer above is exactly what my first PT did in hospital. Have someone help you at home if you’re unsure. 10% is barely a toe touch, more to balance. Be easy on yourself and limit how much you are leaning on your arms. Create a pillow protected world to keep you safe. Right now that bone just needs a chance to heal.

My fracture was reverse of your situation, fractured first, surgery then no weight on it, then THR, and more weight baring restriction. It is so hard, my heart goes out to you. Stay ahead of the pain. It will get better. I’m sorry about your job. Financial worries were part of it for me too. Your health matters most, so do what you can and let go of everything else. Will keep you in my prayers Wendy. ❤️ Sarah

I needed those words of encouragement. I used a scale at hospital to feel what 10% weight bearing felt like but was pretty drugged and couldn’t remember. I just used a digital mailing scale and you’re right. Barely any pressure at all. I am really trying to stay positive and not stressed but it’s so hard right now. Such a set back. Thank you for thinking of me and the encouragement...it means a lot. Wendy

@wendys, your experience is a setback ... the only comfort i can offer you is that I researched the heck out of surgeons ... and came close to resurfacing ... with Dr. Gross ... and one thing I learned ... Dr. Gross loves solving complicated problems ....

He loves it! Thrives on it! ... and I don't even know if he considers your case complicated or just bad luck/unfortunate. So I think when you get through this recovery, you'll have a great device that you feel good with. Keep checkin in.

Do you have a network of friends or coworkers or neighbors that you feel comfortable calling in for help and visits and walks?

Thank you @Going4fun. I have a supportive husband and grown son here to help me. I’m relatively new to SC, just moved here 3 years ago so have some friends and coworkers but not that I feel comfortable asking for help from. I like what you said about Dr Gross. He really made an amazing implant to support the fracture in my hip. I tried to upload a picture of it but it wouldn’t upload.

I am not sure how much I should be doing as far as exercises go and walking is difficult when not able to put any weight on the leg. I do heel slides to loosen up my quad, foot pumps to prevent blood clots, and isometric thigh tensions as directed by PT at hospital. I’m taking things much slower and much easier this time.

I appreciate you and your supportive words!!! Wendys

@wendys ... I sense you wanna go easy on the leg for now ... Dr. Gross used to have a fast protocol for recovery and a slow protocol--for people with bone quality he was worried about. I assume you would be on the slow protocol. I'm sure you can call Lee Webb and get some more detailed guidance.

The problem with directions following surgery is that after surgery, we are simply not in a great place to take in and process and think about what we're being told. And since directions are sometimes detailed and tedious, very easy for us to not feel confident knowing what to do.

I'd say call Gross' office ... you'll get the benefit of tone ... and comfort ... and a fuller sense of what you can/should do at this point. And you can process the directions now!!!! They'll also give you some encouragement.

I am not sure how much I should be doing as far as exercises go
Our advice about that is
Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.​
Here's some articles:

I do heel slides to loosen up my quad
Those are for knee surgery. I recommend you don't do them here.
foot pumps to prevent blood clots
You only need to do these for the first few days when you are really not very mobile. Once you are up and about going to the bathroom and kitchen, there's no longer any need to do them.

Hello @wendys Thinking if you. So happy to read you have a supportive husband, son and friends to help you. I would advise you to really take it easy. Without exercise, I’m progressing nicely 3 months out. My OS was very cautious about any exercise that used my hip flexors. It’s really hard, but your body just needs you to rest and sleep. You will be much better one month out from surgery. Just take it very easy. I found a gardening channel on YouTube that gave me things to dream about. GardenAnswer if you are into gardening. My girlfriends planned occasional movie days. They would come cheer me on. Can’t imagine what I would have done without all of them. Sending ❤️ from Virginia. Sarah

I appreciate that. Dr Gross still wants me to do step 1 exercises. I am very nervous about it. Also he wants me to take Fosamax and I’ve read very troubling reports about it hindering healing of fractures. I’m so confused. I guess I need to trust him completely.

I appreciate that. Dr Gross still wants me to do step 1 exercises. I am very nervous about it. Also he wants me to take Fosamax and I’ve read very troubling reports about it hindering healing of fractures. I’m so confused. I guess I need to trust him completely.

No, you don't need to trust him completely, wendy.
Doctors aren't infallible. Do your own research and trust your gut.
Prayers and best wishes for mental clarity in making decisions.
@wendys

What do I do? I don’t want to take it. After my hip resurfacing I made the decision not to take it because my Dexa scan was good and bones were strong. When I returned to him with the fracture, he told me if I had taken the Fosamax as directed I wouldn’t have had a fracture! So felt like this whole hip fracture was my fault for not following his directions!
I’m upset.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
shibbard
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom