TKR 5 weeks after surgery

Debonair1961

Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Well here I am on the other side I really don’t know what has hit me. Even being the most prepared I thought I could be the pain has hit me like a train wreck. In recovery they was trying to get the pain under control it was at this point I just wanted them to cut the leg off. I know it’s only day one but boy I really hope it gets better they have had me up already and wanting me to straighten leg bend the knee etc. So very swollen and hard to touch they have taken me off the morphine drip and giving me strong painkillers orally my tolerance to painkillers is high so it’s taking them time to get the right amount to be honest I can’t wait to get home so I can stick to my bone smart plan I have asked for ice but they are reluctant to use it onwards and upwards

I’m so sorry you’ve had such a rough start. :console2: Hang in there as best you can and know that once you’re home you will be in full control.

I will leave you our Recovery Guidelines. Each article is short but very informative. Following these guidelines will help you have a less painful recovery.

Knee Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

6. Access to these pages on the website

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling
Heel slides and how to do them properly
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in the majority of BoneSmart’s forums, we ask that each member have only One Recovery Thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review the member’s history before providing advice, so please post any updates or questions you have right here in this thread.

It’s hard to believe at this moment for you, but everyday gets a little better , at least for most people. The pain is truly shocking in the beginning. You hear about it, but it’s like something you have never experienced before. Only people on here who have been through it , truly get how mind boggling tough it can be.
My best advice, is not my advice, LOL, but the fantastic moderators on here.
Follow them and it will help you tremendously. Stay strong.

Did they say why they haven’t been to open to giving you ice? I haven’t had mine yet so I have nothing but others experiences to go by - until December 15th at least— but almost everything I’ve read here has said ice is so important.
I really hope that you get some pain control tonight that helps you be able to sleep.

I have asked for ice but they are reluctant to use it onwards and upwards
Did they say why they haven’t been to open to giving you ice?
From reading this forum I have learned that there are many opinions about this recovery. It just might be this hospital’s protocol to not agree with much icing. We have even had a couple of members who’s surgeons told them not to use ice.

While in the hospital it can be hard to go against what their protocol is, I guess it depends on how assertive each of us are. Add in basic pain levels and medications and it can be hard to advocate for what we personally feel is best for us. We just have to do what we can to get through a less than optimum hospital experience and know that once we are home, we can be in charge of our recovery.

I’m impressed by your positive attitude- especially in pain. When I’m in pain - I have to admit I’m nothing but positive. I really hope you can get some sleep and have a much less painful tomorrow and maybe even go home!

I lucked out there..the hospital provided me with an ice machine (Iceman). It was on me the whole time I was there. The MA's would just swap out baggies of ice to keep the water cold.

Those ice machines are wonderful! I used mine the whole time I was sitting or laying down for at least 3 months. It helped to keep the swelling and pain way down along with the med use.

Did they say why they haven’t been to open to giving you ice? I haven’t had mine yet so I have nothing but others experiences to go by - until December 15th at least— but almost everything I’ve read here has said ice is so important.
I really hope that you get some pain control tonight that helps you be able to sleep.
I think in my case it’s just that they cannot freeze packs quick enough it seems they are throwing away the reusable ink packs because of COVID-19 which is a waste as they can be sanitised at least when I get home I can use as much ice as I want it certainly eases the pain and swelling xx

I lucked out there..the hospital provided me with an ice machine (Iceman). It was on me the whole time I was there. The MA's would just swap out baggies of ice to keep the water cold.
That would have been very helpful but these are trying times at best just going with the flow until I can get home

Day 5 after surgery oh boy came home from hospital today the bruising is showing itself all around the knee back sides and front my consultants says this is what he would expect I am trying to keep swelling down with ice packs but the pain is very hard to control taking liquid morphine every 4 hours with paracetamol and anti inflammatory in between does this sound right my husband doesn’t think so

Hi, really sorry you are in a lot of pain. Take your pain relieve regularly and it will gradually get better. The swelling makes your leg stiff and hard. Elevate it while lifting the bed up and keep moving your angles.
Be positive- it will get better!

I really feel for you on the pain front. I'm in a similar boat-my pain is awful also. If you continue to keep up the pain schedule with your meds, and the pain doesn't become manageable, I would reach out to your surgeon and ask to have a different schedule, type of pain med, etc. Try to take your pain meds on time so you don't get behind the pain, and if that works, great. If not, call your surgeon, or his office, or whoever you need to call over there for pain meds/info.

How was last night-did you manage to sleep at all?

Hi I am now day 12 after surgery TKRL and feeling at this stage I have gone backwards what I thought I was doing was ok and good I have 90% bend still struggling to straighten leg but have now come to the conclusion that I am fast approaching the reverse. I am struggling with pain management the straightening is getting harder I can’t lift my operated leg and my husband said to me this morning that he noticed I was dragging/shuffling my right leg and not trying to low bear on my operated leg. Some background history that has come about from surgery it was my natural instinct to bend my bad knee to the left to relieve the pain and discomfort therefore my knee was out of line by 1/2 inch this was all put right during surgery but I feel that’s why I am having problems with the straightening.can someone please tell me the best plan of action what exercises to start with so I can strengthen the muscles that have been left dormant I am petrified that I am going to be left with a stiff leg and not much mobility

@Debonair1961
You'll notice that I have merged your newest post with your original recovery thread. For several reasons, we prefer that you only have one recovery thread:
  • That way, we have all your information in one place. This makes it easier to go back and review your history before providing advice.
  • If you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts and advice others have left for you in the old threads, and some information may be unnecessarily repeated
  • Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.
So please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here. If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we'll get it changed for you.
If you need an urgent response to a question, just tag a member of staff.

Many members bookmark their thread in their computer browser, so they can find it when they log on.
Thanks,
Chris

am struggling with pain management
Pain may be causing the other problems you are having you are having with your knee.
Be sure you are taking your pain medications on schedule as prescribed. If that is not working, call and ask for an adjustment in your pain medications.

Although I have not had mine yet to know this for sure- from what I’ve read on here on different threads is that this recovery is like a roller coaster- and is common to teeter from moving ahead and then sliding back— especially in early days. -
I’m so sorry your pain is not controlled- I hope that you will call your dr to ask for an adjustment...
I wish I had tips for how to correct the drag you mention- but I bet having pain controlled will help you to work on that and I bet the moderators will have suggestions to help.
thinking of you...:hugzz:

Well the information plus advice from you guys is so true it’s so much like a rollercoaster one day you feel very low , pain management is poor feeling I am not trying hard enough. To today 15 days after surgery had my staples out wound very clean and neat. Pain meds are better have a telephone call with my doctor tomorrow to see if we can narrow it down. Knee is very stiff today and soar but the stretch and bending is a little better. I had a random consultant talk to me as I was leaving hospital yesterday asking me what operation have I had done once informing him TKR 2 weeks a go he was overwhelmed by how well I was doing with the walking etc so it just goes to say when you think you are not doing well others see things differently. It’s also very encouraging which builds your confidence not long to your opp Cococay will be thinking of you too thanks for your thoughts

thank you Pumpkln

Last edited by a moderator:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562