5 more days until my RTHR

@lotusbuds
I was in hospital 3 nights for each of my hip ops and only needed help form the hospital staff when I first got up. That's to make sure that the spinal,block had worn off and I was safe.
When I got home I managed on my own. That's not to say that husband didn't help when he was there. He was a great help lifting my leg on and off the bed.

Like you, I was in the surgery center for only one night also then released to the care of hubs who surprised me and turned out to be an attentive Nurse. I'll bet yours does a great job too.

Just as Jaycey, the nurse showed me how to get in and out of the bed before I was discharged. I found that and navigating stairs to be a non issue and I was anxious about both. With that said, I chose to sleep in my recliner for the first few weeks. I nestled pillows along side of me and felt like I was swaddling like a baby. I mainly chose to do this because I slept comfortably enough in my chair and I was terrified I'd roll onto my incision during the night. Unfounded fear, but I had it nonetheless. So understand there are options, everything works out in the end.

A tip you can take, or leave -
Have whoever is driving you home bring a large plastic garbage bag for the car seat. I used one and it worked really well helping me to easily swivel to face the windshield, once seated on the car seat. In a pinch you can also use it to swivel into position in bed if the combination of your pj's and bed sheets are providing unwanted friction.

Best of luck, will be thinking of you and looking forward to your first update.
Hugs
@lotusbuds

Last edited:
@Jaycey thank you! That is what I thought we were supposed to do is use your arms to scoot backwards and forwards. Maybe I misunderstood the PT yesterday but it sounded like he wanted me to sit up first then do the scooting. I will work with the PT in hospital for sure.
@Bionic Thanks! I think my husband will be a great help and although I have a leg lifter he can have the official role too.
@Layla I will definitely use a large plastic bag in the car and have one by the bed just in case. What a great idea.
I heard I have to be at the hospital at 10:30am on Friday and its an hour or so drive (35 minutes on a weekend). Although I wanted to be one of the first I am happy with this time as I don't have to rush as much in the am.
Thanks everyone.
XXX

:hi: I had the same concerns for how I would manage getting up and down for the first few days. We do get it figured and though I needed help in and out of the bed...which I also didn't stay in for long periods..lots of bathroom trips...I spent alot of time in my recliner the first weeks as I could get up and down easier.
You will be able to do more than you think, I did. Especially after the first week...you will just be sloooow!
You are going to do just fine and all will be worth it in the end:loveshwr:

Happy thoughts for tomorrow! I think you will be pleasantly surprised at how little assistance you will require afterward.

We are thinking of you and know you will be happy to get that bad hip gone.
Sending healing hugs in advance:friends:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks