THR 5 months post-op cannot lie on surgery hip

sophiejo

Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hi all, hoping to get some insight here.
I had a right THR in November. I had a few bumps along the recovery road but now I'm pretty active, doing most things I could do before the pain got so bad.
My problem now is I still cannot lie (sleep) on the operated leg, it causes an acute bruised type of pain (difficult to describe). I feel it externally. It isn't actually bruised. It's quite different from the arthritic pain. If I do rest on the hip for even a short while (it was my preferred sleeping side and I try it out occasionally) I feel it the following day and find myself rubbing my leg to ease it. It's bad enough to need painkillers sometimes.
I did refer back to my surgeon at 4 months with this and a few other minor issues. He pretty much said I'd benefit from physiotherapy, which I'm getting from my qualified daughter, but he didn't explain what's causing it. I can't see how physio will help this issue though it should help the other bits and pieces. All movement is good!!
I had the surgery done privately (not NHS - UK) and I'm now outside my post-op aftercare period. I've searched the net endlessly but can't find this problem described elsewhere.
Has anyone had similar? Is there hope that I'll be able to sleep on my operated side again eventually
Thanks in advance

@sophiejo Welcome to BoneSmart! What was the date of your surgery. We will put the information in your signature for you.

Many of our members complain about this issue. Soft tissues were majorly stressed during your THR. It can take some time for the tenderness to ease. Just keep trying.

I agree with you. Physio will not address this soft tissue problem.

Even though you are 5 months out of surgery I think you might benefit from reading our guidelines. Have you iced and elevated that op side? Icing may ease some of this.

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
We are all different, as are the approaches to this recovery and rehab. The key is, “Find what works for YOU.“ Your doctor(s), physiotherapist(s) and BoneSmart are here to help. But you have the final decision as to what approach you use.

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of this BoneSmart philosophy for sensible post op therapy
5. Here is a week-by-week guide for Activity progression for THRs
6. Access these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Hi @sophiejo .

I’m sorry you have this ongoing issue, and I hope someone may be able to advise. I was pretty good at side sleeping at the 5 month stage after my first THR, but I was by no means fully healed. I had lots of improvement still to come, which mostly just came by itself in time. I hope it will turn out the same for you. There’s definitely a lot of odd things that go on in our legs during the recovery from hip replacement surgery.

Thanks @Jaycey
Op date was 5th November. Had I known about this forum I would have registered pre-op! I found it during my searches in the weeks after my op and, yes, I've read the guidelines and some of the threads created by others. I found it very helpful & interesting reading when I wasn't very mobile. I used/use ice as recommended.
@Klassy
Thanks for your reply. Strange, the brochure issued by the clinic for What to do when you go home? stated you can sleep on either side!! I couldn't imagine sleeping on operated side after a few days :shrug: but did expect it to be comfortable by now. I think perhaps 'they' paint a very positive picture and maybe set expectations a bit high?
Anyhow I'll continue to be patient and hope for best.

Thank you so[hiejo for sharing your experience with side sleeping and please keep us updated. Please maintain a positive expectation. My own experience with my RTHR was that post op, there were some issues that seemed slow to resolve, then one or two weeks later they were no longer present. I understand your the hip pain/bruising is not a trivial, passing thing.

'they' paint a very positive picture and maybe set expectations a bit high
Yes, happens far too often. The people who write those brochures haven't necessarily had the procedures they write about. Recovery from THR can take up to 1 year or longer. You just need time and patience.

My surgery was right side, and that’s been my preferred sleep position for my entire life. I did not expect my body to adapt, but for now, 12 days out of surgery, I’m sleeping on my left side with a pillow wedge and I’m actually getting some real sleep. I’m always amazed at how our bodies can adapt. I expect at some point my right side will let me know when it’s ready, maybe weeks or months. Tenderness and swelling are improving daily, but slowly. So I’ll show some love to my left side and my new best friend, the pillow wedge. I’m an impatient patient for sure, but I know not to force this issue, it will happen when it happens.

@Sohowarrior I managed to sleep mostly on my back for nearly 6 weeks - terrified of messing it up :heehee: then gingerly the left side with a wedge. Now the wedge has gone but I really want to sleep any which way without aches and pains which of course most of us had to cope with for some time pre-op! I'm keeping up my daily stretching routines for flexibility and of course overall my mobility and pain level are vastly improved :yay:
Good luck with your recovery (12 days out seems a long time ago for me!!)

I feel my body is kind of doing its own thing, if that makes sense. I found back sleeping for an extended length of time just impossible. But once I got on my left side, it was like I had found internal world peace. It just worked, and I am rested and grateful for that. I went out alone today for the first time, I had a very safe manicure which really lifted my spirits. Walked home without calling husband to get me. Feeling proud and positive!

@sophiejo :wave: and welcome to the forum. I get where you're coming from. I also had RTHR and that is my preferred side to sleep on. Also had pain/discomfort when trying to sleep on my right side for what seems like forever. I still have issues trying to find the sweet spot to lay comfortably.

I used a small travel size pillow (rectangular) and laid it under my right thigh to give it some extra padding. It seemed to help some. Also have a habit, when on either side, of pulling my knees up sort of like the fetal position. Not sure why but seems to be comfortable and also helps my back pain (from other problems).

Have been told I have trochanteric bursitis in both hips so that can explain some of the discomfort. I've also been told I have right illiotibial bands. Not sure if either of these things is the cause but still feel different sensations in my right hip and thigh. Have had recent xrays and been told everything looks fine

Sometimes I still use ice which can be helpful. I have flat gel freeze packs so it's easy to lay on top of them. I'll even occasionally put some heat on the area. Hoping something above gives you some relief.

Hi all, hoping to get some insight here.
I had a right THR in November. I had a few bumps along the recovery road but now I'm pretty active, doing most things I could do before the pain got so bad.
My problem now is I still cannot lie (sleep) on the operated leg, it causes an acute bruised type of pain (difficult to describe). I feel it externally. It isn't actually bruised. It's quite different from the arthritic pain. If I do rest on the hip for even a short while (it was my preferred sleeping side and I try it out occasionally) I feel it the following day and find myself rubbing my leg to ease it. It's bad enough to need painkillers sometimes.
I did refer back to my surgeon at 4 months with this and a few other minor issues. He pretty much said I'd benefit from physiotherapy, which I'm getting from my qualified daughter, but he didn't explain what's causing it. I can't see how physio will help this issue though it should help the other bits and pieces. All movement is good!!
I had the surgery done privately (not NHS - UK) and I'm now outside my post-op aftercare period. I've searched the net endlessly but can't find this problem described elsewhere.
Has anyone had similar? Is there hope that I'll be able to sleep on my operated side again eventually
Thanks in advance
Hi there
I am 12 months post op on my right hip this month
Only started to be able to sleep on it for a few hrs at month 9 so hang in there

The PT people I had in hospital told me whatever I was doing 30 days prior to my injury I'd be able to do in another 30 days! NOT!!!
I'm a right side sleeper too and I had to get used to sleeping on my back but I can do it now, 9 weeks post op tomorrow and still on my back.
I sometimes bend my knees cause it does relieve pressure on my back.
Can't wait to curl up in my fetal position on my right side!

... Strange, the brochure issued by the clinic for What to do when you go home? stated you can sleep on either side!! I couldn't imagine sleeping on operated side after a few days :shrug: but did expect it to be comfortable by now. I think perhaps 'they' paint a very positive picture and maybe set expectations a bit high?
I hope you won’t think me unfeeling, but your mention of the brochure’s blithe optimism made me laugh. I was so fed up of failing to sleep on my back by 10 days after my first THR that I phoned the OS office to ask if I could sleep on my side. Imagine my joy when the answer was yes, either side, just use a pillow if sleeping on the non-operated side! I was thrilled, until I tried it on the non-operated side. Very very uncomfortable, building rapidly towards unbearable. And I couldn’t even contemplate lying on my incision.

So the brochure is perfectly correct, you CAN sleep on either side as soon as you go home. You just won’t want to.

Sorry, wasn't making fun but in hindsight it is a bit funny.
What we are allowed to do...what is confortable for us to do.... certainly they dont always coincide.
Good thing is, All Temporary and well worth the recovery frustrations.
I was already sleep deprived pre-op, and was seriously frustrated postop.
But, eventually, it did resolve.

Keep the faith, Friend.

My rTHR was Nov 23 and I had a large hematoma post op. It showed in exrays. I believe it to be resolved but it is still tender. If you look on YouTube at what they do when they replace a hip, it's very obvious why it's still tender. I'm sorry you are still feeling this having have had three Hip replacements now, I have experienced that this will get better with time. It's so hard to be patient!
Sending healing hugs your way!

I still cannot view what was done to me during the hip replacement. I know by how swollen my leg was , just how invasive the surgery was !!!But it was soooo worth it!!!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks

Latest posts