BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

Dismiss Notice

[THR] 5 month post op weakness

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Recovery Area' started by barbln, Apr 17, 2019.

1. barbln

barbln new member

United States United States
    I had my THR on Nov 14, 2018. My operated leg is still very weak. I am the first to admit I have slacked off on exercising. I was going to physical therapy once a week until about mid-March. I had hoped just with daily activity and walking that I would be back to normal by now but this is not the case. I'm curious, are any of you doing well without PT or exercise?

2. Jaycey

Jaycey SUPER MODERATOR Moderator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    @barbln Welcome to BoneSmart! I think you will find that most of our members did no PT and walking was their primary exercise. Hips don't really need training - they are healing post THR. Gradually increasing your walk length will strengthen your op leg.

How long did you limp around pre-op? I limped around for 3 years pre-op LTHR and my recovery too over one year. So 5 months out is still early. Time and a bit of patience is all that is needed.

Even though you are 5 months out I'm going to leave you our recovery reading list. There are some good articles on a rough timeframe for healing and activity levels.
    Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
    1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
    2. Control discomfort:
    rest
    elevate
    ice
    take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
    3. Do what you want to do BUT
    a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
    b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
    4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of this BoneSmart philosophy for sensible post op therapy
    5. Here is a week-by-week guide for Activity progression for THRs
    6. Access these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
    Healing: how long does it take?
    Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
    Energy drain for THRs
    Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it

Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
    Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Eman85

Eman85 post-grad

United States United States
    What are you trying to do that makes you feel that your hip is weak? My OS told me up front that it would be at least 1 year that I would still be in recovery and he was right. In the last month or so I've seen further improvement and less stiffness in the muscles. It's still getting better but I am sure that it will never be "my hip", it will always be a replacement, but that's fine as it doesn't hurt or keep me up at night.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. HertsHippy

HertsHippy member

@barbin - I had my THR 3 weeks before you. I have exercised a reasonable amount but I am still a long way off “back to normal”. There is still quite a bit of healing going on. However I am way, way better than I was pre op. Like @Eman85 I am expecting full recovery to take at least a year (also as advised by my physio) and I also think I will always consider my hip to be a replacement. But I am grateful for the improvement to my life which THR has given me.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Josephine

Josephine FORUM ADMIN, NURSE DIRECTOR Administrator

When you've been here a little longer and read around a bit, you will notice we are heavy on the advice of "NO exercise or PT for hips".

• Agree Agree x 1