THR 5 days post op

Jo Barry

Country
United States United States
I had tried to play in my mind what to expect...what would the pain level be...how it would feel when I first got up to walk. Well, I have been pleasantly surprised. I had the anterior approach...pain has stayed under 5. First few days I was taking Norco and Tramadol/Advil/Tylenol Extra Strenth. At day 5, I'm only taking the Tramadol/Advil/Tylenol. When walking ( with a walker), I feel a tremendous amount of pressure in my thigh area. All of my discomfort is in my thigh area. Before surgery I had severe knee pain (outside of knee). That pain is gone...thank God.

Hi Jo. I was surprised too. I had the anterior approach as well on Wednesday and walked to the bathroom 2 hrs later. The one thing I learned which surprised me was my doc said no aleve or Advil, both of which i have been very fond of:)

Known to inhibit bone growth which is what we want.

Glad you're doing well. Keep it up.

Hi @Jo Barry
You sound as if you are doing really well.
Thanks for sharing your recovery story thoughts... This was extremely helpful to me to read just prior to my hip replacements.

Hope you have made great friends with Ice! :ice:
Best pain reliever and anti-inflammatory that I found while recovering.
Tightness is normal and due to swelling so ice and elevation are key elements to a more comfortable recovery.

Here are some great articles you can look over.
All Temporary became mantra and I am still ever so grateful for my new life with new hips.:happydance:

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary​
2. Control discomfort
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT​
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

6. Access to these pages on the website

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

I had the anterior approach as well on

:wave:new hippy @mmits42
Glad you are on the Healing Side of this hip journey.
If you could let us know date ( June 9th, right?) and which hip we will add it to your signature and put you in June recovery group.:) :-) (:

You can click here on the blue link and go to instructions on how to start a recovery thread of your own.
If you need help just let us know...I know I was a bit too foggy to figure too much out about the forum early days.:heehee:

Congratulations.

Hi mojo. it was wed june 9th for my hip surgery. i will create a thread as suggested. thank you.

Congratulations on your shiny new hip and welcome to the healing side! :wave:

I had mine the 4th and was so surprised when neither of my knees hurt anymore. Thigh is a killer for me too. Bruising is quite technicolor! Stay on top of your meds and sleep when you can.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
tibiaplateauaft
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom