5 days post-op and doing good!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks Tbone and Judy.

I wondered what having a arthroscopic/synovectomy surgery (as it was called) would be like on a man-made knee. I was told to bring crutches to the hospital and I used them immediately afterwards since I was still kinda numb from the spinal but I haven't used them since I came home! Really no pain to speak of but we will see about tomorrow. It seems the day after is sometimes worse then the day of. Karen

Well, considering much of the pain comes from the cartilage on the bone ends, you can figure it out!

TBone,
I had the catheter 17 years ago when I had my c-section, and as much as I hated the idea of it, I really appreciated not having to get up to use the bathroom for a day after surgery. That would have hurt worse.
As long as they insert it "after" you are numb, that is. I remember the doctor saying to the assistant "why are you inserting it now; just wait until after the spinal" because I was saying no-way!
You can't feel it after its in place already, it just feels strange that you never get the urge to go to the bathroom. Coming out, I don't remember it hurting. But with men, it might be more uncomfortable----Just put the pillow over your head and sing your favorite song as they are removing it.

We always put catheters in after the anaesthetic. Don't understand why anyone would do it before.
ai21.photobucket.com_albums_b286_flagady15_smilies_scratch.jpg

I sure don't remember it going in, so must have been after I was sedated. All I felt at removal was a very brief scratchy feeling against the inside wall of my bladder (must have been the head of the tube) as the nurse pulled it very quickly. (I had a male nurse, too, Dave, luckily without the sadistic bent yours had!)

(God really knew what he was doing when he had us gals birth babies, right, ladies? If we were quite as squeamish about our "PARTS," humans would be extinct! :) (No offense, guys--we love ya!)

That is SOOOOOO true, PR! My hubby swears when he passed a kidney stone,,,,,,that THAT was the most excruciating pain there is! If men had babies Tnot talking about the OnE trans gender one), there wouldn't be many people on this earth at all!!!!

PR,,,,,,I'm wondering......since you had the anterior hip surgery and your incision was glued,,,,does your incision disappear ? I've always been curious!

Judles, I have passed a kidney stone, too, and the only pain I could even begin to compare it to was having a baby! I'm not even sure it wasn't more painful! I know several men who have had them, and I always felt that was God's way of letting them know what women go through having babies.

Also, my dr. called my glued incision something like a "plastic surgery closure" and said it should only leave a thin line. But I seem to develop quite a bit of scar tissue around scars, so we shall see! :o)

Karen

Thanks for clearing that up!Most importantly,,,,feel GOOD, Karen!!!!

Karen that is pretty darn weird.

All of my 3 major incisions have been glued. It does just appear as a straight line. the most recent in my back is much thicker than the hip or neck, not sure how it will turn out. But I am proud of every one of them!!!

Judy

PR,,,,,,I'm wondering......since you had the anterior hip surgery and your incision was glued,,,,does your incision disappear ? I've always been curious!

Well, now THAT sure would be nice! But, no there's still a scar--it just doesn't have those tiny staple dots on either side. Maybe one of these days I'll get around to posting a pic--it's just that I know hubby will think I'm certifiable if I ask him to take one--and it's darn near impossible to shoot a hip scar yourself, even if it IS in the front!

Well, the beauty of the staples is that they don't leave any scars! I had staples for my hysterectomy in 1980 and there is no sign of their having been there. Actually, there's practically not sign of a scar at all! Just a general thickening under the skin. Is amazing!

But same cannot be said for hip/knee scars. Where the surgeon's knife has been, there will be a scar. Just depends how much of a scar. Good news, they do fade over the years. I've seen hip scars of a year or more that were little more than a thin white line amd sometimes you really had to look for them as well!

On the other hand .......... no, I won't go there!
ai21.photobucket.com_albums_b286_flagady15_smilies_wink_1.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member