THR Aussie's Posterior LTHR

We can ALL try out for the shoe tying Olympics ... I even heard they have elastic shoe laces

My only challenge or complaint is I still can't get in my shower

You'll be able to do it in time. Like everyone keeps telling us - patience, patience, patience! But it is so hard to be patient for all this time!

Exactly GrannyC here it's been about 5 weeks it seems forever to me .... I mostly get down about the shower issues and it all steps from my hip rules no bending to 90 degrees and stuff if I could bend more I'd be okay

Here's a suggestion.
Could you ring your surgeons office and explain the situation about the shower. Its possible I believe that your surgeon may relax the restriction a bit at this stage to allow you to get in the shower.
Its worth a try.
Joe....

I agree with Irish Joe that it would be worth a call to the doctors office to ask about the shower. I didn't realize you had the restrictions. I thought you just couldn't lift your leg over the edge of the tub. I had anterior so I don't have any restrictions so I forget that some others do. Call early so they have time to get back to you today. Otherwise you will have to wait until Monday. And you are not bothering them. That is what they are there for - to help you and answer questions!

Thanks Irishjoe and GrannyC, I don't come on the net till later in the day but yes it was a great idea.... I will be at his office on Tuesday so I will ask then... I wish I could see him not just the PA she's nice but I feel best with him

It's actually a two fold thing I am not sure I can get my legs over but also I have to get my legs to go over BOTH the side of the tub AND over the toilet ... I'm not sure I can do or if it's allowed hip rule wise ..... I use to struggle to get in period but now more so and don't want to break the rules it's frustrating .... Nobody knows what it's like after 5 weeks not to shower I am it on here ... THEN I wonder if I I'll ever normal shower again

MyAussieGirl, if you did it before, then you will do it again. Remember that word - PATIENCE!! Talk to your doctor or the PA about it and see what they say. You could also mention it at PT and hear their response. Good to get a few ideas and thoughts on it. Hang in there!

Isn't GrannyC just the best motherly person you can have on your side. Don't know if you have children @GrannyC but you have such a nurturing supportive ' voice' that comes through in your messages... Very comforting.

Thank you. You are very kind and I admire how well you have done with your bilateral. I also thank my lucky stars I didn't have to go through all that you have. You've been one tough lady. There were some rough spots but you always bounced back. Yes, I have four wonderful sons, 4 dils and some fantastic grandkids - hence the name GrannyC.

@MyAussieGirl I haven't see you on here for a while so I hope all is well and that you've had a good weekend. I'm sure you are anxious to go to dr on Tues for your recheck and to get your questions answered. Keep us posted!

Hey Mojo333 I agree she's awesome very kind and supportive but you are too

GrannyC Huge HUGS I wasn't on yesterday cause we went to church then did house stuff then storms hit and I got fed up with the connection and by the time I was able to... I was and remain pretty depressed.... I find most people want perky from me all around me and it's hard to hide my frustration. .. I do but just find myself ready to weep at times.

Thank you and yes I intend to talk to the PT tomorrow and PA ... shower and restrictions getting to me and I think I am failings to walk correctly with my cane I sometimes accidentally kick it with my good foot.... I'm gonna ask how to adjust that too....

I have just been trying to keep busy and sleep some nights is so hard to come by like last night.... that's not helping my moods.... I'm gonna be checking up on ya ladies soon

And NO the comments on People wanting to be around me when I am happy perky whatever was NOT meant at anyone in here it's a general statement. People just aren't comfortable around people who are down and right now I don't have it in me to fake it I usually do on the rare moments I am down but can't this time ... sorry

We all need a little whine time... I do try too hard to get around it with humor sometimes and agree people DO get uncomfortable around me when I'm bummed out or just too quiet. And shouldn't have to fake it all the time

@MyAussieGirl I hope today is a better day for you. We all have down days even though everyone may not post it in the forum. In fact when you have a down day you may not even feel like being on the forum! I think getting some of your issues resolved, like the shower, will help boost your morale. Then as you can get around better, that will help, too. I hope PT can help you with the cane problem as you definitely don't want to be tripping in the cane. It will probably be just some little adjustment in the way you hold it.

What did you do during the days prior to your surgery? Did you work or have some hobbies you worked on? I am retired so I am not worried about going back to work. I am very lucky though that I enjoy sewing so starting about a week after my surgery, I could sit at my sewing machine for a while. That took little to no energy, it was sitting and it has kept me busy. I actually have a little home business of my own where I sew and sell my things in my online shop as well as to some stores so I have lots and lots to keep me busy. I had plenty of projects lined up ahead of time so I haven't struggled with the boredom and depression that some others have faced. I also was learning how to knit and thought I'd make up some dishcloths as I recovered but I have yet to take out the knitting stuff. I did finish one book last week and am well into another but no everyone likes to read.

So one step at a time. Hopefully PT today can give you some input on the shower and cane use. Bring pictures to show them was a fantastic idea. Have a good day and be sure to keep us updated on how things are going. We are all here for you to listen to the good and the bad. You know we all understand and are cheering you on.:yes!:

AussieGirl.
There is a saying here in Ireland.
" It's ok to be not ok, and its Definatly ok to say it"
Hopefully this one passes.
Joe.......

AussieGirl -

I definitely know what you mean by folks wanting you to be perky. Today I'm having a punk day - feeling tired as sleep is still tricky and maybe mildly depressed Luckily my fella gets it. He cajoles me out for a short walk and ignores me cocooning in my bed on a sunny holiday (Victoria Day here in Canada). It's exhausting to fake it. I won't. People, especially with social media, have become adept at curating their lives so everyone thinks they are so successful, creative, competent etc... Fughedaboudid! It's definitely okay here to grouse and moan - we all do. It doesn't mean we aren't grateful for our new hips etc.. it just means it sonetimes sucks to go through what we're going through! As to the shower I'm six werks out and just started using the shower. The hospital loaned me a bath bench - I used it once! Too hard to get in with long legs and I was sitting on what I wanted to wash! I just did sink baths. The first time I showered I was scared and my husband was there but I could get in without breaking the 90° rule and I could stand okay so . You have a trickier situation.

Good luck tomorrow - my meeting with the gp is Thursday (my surgeon is a two hour plane ride away)!

Jan

Mojo I agree I too usually joke around or do a good job acting like I'm fine as frog's hair but all these odd issues here add up and I wilted .... I don't like to be near Very down people but then I tell myself it's okay on how they act because it's how they feel. I admit it can be exhausting to be around someone who is down sad or quiet. I'm gonna try better to remember this time in my life so I can be supportive

Hey GrannyC I have been a housewife for many MANY years but do have some hobbies mostly outdoor kind of things. Before surgery my husband and I ran around and did more outdoor things ... I HATE winter I still go out a lot but shopping, out to eat ...Nights I usually and still play with my pets and read, watched TV but that was after hours out.
PT went GREAT I have much to say about it but ... I have learned to do a lot of stuff I couldn't before like get things out of the fridge low shelf.... Working on sofa...more to come late ....but..... YAYYY..... I will update on that stuff late after I charge my phone
I hate pillows between my legs to sleep on hot nights and not getting up from my sofa unless I have help ...that stuff may be ending soon
More on cane later but all in all an awesome PT session and she set up my Ten machine for me.... I may never need it but much learned and I ran into a person from church love the dude so we yakked.....more later

Jan ... HUGE Hugs I don't think I'll remember how to type your screen name without looking but THANKS I can stand a long time and will update better later ...yes lol WEEKS of no real shower can get to you.....My husband has been very supportive and tries to know what to say or do when I'm down but um lol not much he can say or do...as you know till it passes... I'm so glad no more arthritis pain but am not thrilled by these rules if .. when ... I see an end to them I will be less to not down but ummm right now ... I'm some less down.....WOW a plane ride to see your doc...how do you feel about that? Thanks and it's nice to meet you.... what's the name of your thread?

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back