THR 49 y/o with AVN, planning on THR

@Laskyd

Hi Laskyd, So sorry to hear of your fall and subsequent AVN....When are they saying you need a THR ?

So I am not doing too bad and had a good run of 8 weeks or so of limited pain (no pain meds) but for the last 4 weeks I am in pain and limping so on light pain meds but still walking around without a cane etc. I am trying to get an appointment with my Surgeon for an MRI so he can track the deterioration of my hip due to the AVN. I'm hoping that the pain I'm in will subside, if not or it gets worse I will look to book my Left THR in within 6 weeks or so. I'm kind of at the 'acceptance' phase now after the initial shock of diagnosis etc.

One thing that did help was on Amazon Prime in the UK I watched the 'Andy Murray Resurfacing Story' and although he ended up with a Metal on Metal hip (a Birmingham Hip Resurfacing) his journey through the pain etc did ring true for me and I'm certain most of us on this forum.

Wishing you the very best outcome.....

Last edited by a moderator:
@Prem1234
I am in pain when I get up and first start to walk but I need a cane to walk around because I have a serious limp. If I am lying down or sitting I am not in pain. Like you I have been in shock with this diagnosis and it has taken me a long time to accept that I need the hip replacement. Hope you end up with a great outcome in the end!! We both need to get our lives back!!

@DesertDiva,
I was a fellow bilateral idiopathic AVN sufferer. I underwent CD but it was successful for the one leg (early stage).

My femur head continued to limit my range of motion despite my using 2 canes to walk. When the insurance company kicked me out of therapy stating that my recovery had peaked, I opted for the THR following examinations that revealed that my femur head was still eroding.
At the time of my THR, my operated leg was considerably shorter than my right.

I would not have settled for core decompression surgery if I had stumbled upon this forum before the surgery was done.

Nevertheless, it was not without merit for I was in pain 24/7 before the bilateral CD and I woke up from the CD surgery AVN pain-free in both legs.

In essence, CD saved my right leg (early stage ...no symptom).

Final word for everyone else contemplating THR, don't try to tough it out and good luck.

Desert Diva's thread is here...

Be best to ask her there as not to derail Prem1234's thread.

So I saw my surgeon Monday for the 3 month follow up and MRI so he can compare the MRIs. There was less 'water' in and around the hip but I have been taking low doses of Ibuprofen and Paracetamol for 4 weeks ish due to increased pain. The AVN is slightly more pronounced as well.

I asked him his view and he said looking at the images 'it's screaming out hip replacement'.

Like us all I don't want to have one but due to the increased pain and limited mobility it's now stopping me doing the things I want to do so I have elected to go ahead for a LTHR on the 14th January.

So new year new hip.....

No, no one wants major surgery but our joints force us to this stage and are very thankful for the technology that exists that enables us to get our lives back to normal. How wonderful that you do not have a long wait for surgery. It gives you just enough time to get organized for recovery.

:xmas-wave-smiley-emoticon:
New hip for a new year.:tada:
Lots of great support here so you can get through this and back to life.
Look forward to sharing your journey.

Laskyd,
sorry about a late reply. My MRI was negative for AVN in October despite an unusual pain which slowly subsided over several weeks. I still have some discomfort at times which I suspect will be present on and off for the rest of my life. But I can use my elliptical without making it worse.
In October I was convinced I had AVN and was ready to have hip replacement by the end of the year. I was looking to get couple opinions from different surgeons (which I did not have to get at the end). I am not sure where you live but would suggest you get couple consultations, possibly in a major Ortho center. There are different approaches (anterior, posterior) and somewhat different recovery. I suspect you were essentially no weight bearing for 3 months after pinning which is a long and difficult recovery. I had several knee surgeries before and this was the toughest recovery of all. My surgeon told me that recovery after THR is easier than pinning since you can walk on the leg right away. Most people are out of the hospital in one day.
I sorry about your complication and I know how you feel. It is so discouraging to have to go through a second surgery within less than a year.

Hi @Prem1234
Getting down to the short rows (southern farming colloquialism)
So you can get this bad hip gone and get back to a full happy life.
Hope you are settled (as much as one can be when one is having hip replaced):unsure:

Lots of folks here to cheer you on.
:yay::yay::yay:

@Mojo333

Hi Mojo333, thank you for the message and yes the clock is counting down quickly now....I have one more blood test on Friday 6th January before my operation on Tuesday 14th.

I'm thinking about the operation a lot now as it's so close....My hip is going through a painful phase which just confirms the right decision to push on and have the THR.

many thanks again

Hello :wave:
Wishing you all the best tomorrow. We'll be waiting for you on the healing side. I look forward to following your journey.
See you there soon :)
@Prem1234

Thank you all for the kind words and your thoughts.....I'll be leaving in an hour for the hospital. See you on the healing side :)

Healing vibes coming your way :loveshwr:
Bye bye hip pain!:yes!:

Thank you all for your thoughts and caring words....I have had my LTHR and have just got home after a night in hospital. I'll start my recovery thread :)

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back