THR 44 year old getting a new left hip

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScottBGKY

Country
United States United States
So never thought I’d be here at age 44. Seems I had some really bad hips from birth and years of football, military, running, basketball and powerlifting have worn both completely out. The pain and limping in my left hip have stole all of the joy from my life. Hard to believe 2.5 years ago I took home 2 medals at a powerlifting meet and today I can’t even put my shoe on my left foot.

Surgery is scheduled for December 30th

Lucky guy! You will be 2 weeks post op when I get mine done. Also the left hip here. I saw this group today and was very pleased at the common sense and absolute truth here. I work in health care but This is a new adventure. Just remember to ask questions of your care team and tell them if you have nagging wonders. They will go out of their way if they know you want to get the info.

@ScottBGKY
:welome:to BoneSmart, glad you joined us!
You will notice I have added your surgery date to your signature, and have added you to the December SuperNovas, where you will see who else is having THR around the same time as you.

Here is some pre op information for you,
If you are at the stage where you have joint pain but don't know for sure if you are ready to have surgery, these links may help:
Score Chart: How bad is my arthritic hip?
Choosing a surgeon and a prosthesis
BMI Calculator - What to do if your surgeon says you're too heavy for joint replacement surgery
Longevity of implants and revisions: How long will my new joint last?

If you are at the stage where you are planning to have surgery but are looking for information so you can be better prepared for what is to come, take a look at these links:
Recovery Aids: A comprehensive list for hospital and home
Recliner Chairs: Things you need to know if buying one for your recovery
Pre-Op Interviews: What's involved?

And if you want to picture what your life might be like with a replaced hip, take a look at the posts and threads from other BoneSmarties provided in this link:
Stories of amazing hip recoveries

With your surgery date fast approaching here is a copy of the recovery guidelines.
Here are the Hip Recovery Guidelines, the articles are short and will not take long to read.

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

6. Access these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

Last edited:
Hello! I’m 49 and getting a new right hip as well as a revision to a 21 year old hip replacement on my left side. I’m super athletic and I think it’s helped my arthritic hips last longer. I’ve also been teaching Pilates for 12 years, and I’m saddened by what I can’t do anymore. Looking forward to being pain free again soon.

Welcome @ScottBGKY
I found this forum just before surgery and joined just after (I think).
It has been a great help to me in understanding that the ups and downs of the first few weeks are completely normal and that the discomfort is temporary.
I am about 6 weeks post-op now, and the future looks bright...

@jenTjenT
Hello! I’m 49 and getting a new right hip as well as a revision to a 21 year old hip replacement on my left side. I’m super athletic and I think it’s helped my arthritic hips last longer. I’ve also been teaching Pilates for 12 years, and I’m saddened by what I can’t do anymore. Looking forward to being pain free again soon.

not wanting to take over the thread but can i ask why the revision after 21 years, Loose stem, wear etc ?

Many thanks

:wave: @ScottBGKY
Hope you are hanging in there and not getting stuck with the disappointment about your hip letting you down.
I have always been a very strong physically active person and seems that in the two years before my surgery...all went downhill quickly.:sad:

My new hips have rid me of all of that horrid hip pain, decreased mobility, and sleep deprivation.:yes:

Your upper body strength will undoubtedly help tremendously during recovery...helped me move myself about...and that patience muscle will be the hardest one to keep flexed!

Hope you have a :merry-xmas-smiley-emoticon:

Hello @ScottBGKY

Thinking of you today and your new hip. Your surgery team will be prepared. You will be in good hands. We will all be here to support you through recovery. Best wishes today.

:wave: @ScottBGKY hope by now your surgery is over and you're in your room resting. Pop in and give us an update once you're feeling up to it. We can help you get a recovery thread setup when you're feeling better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker