BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. ATTENTION: Download the new BoneSmart® app today! This FREE app is available for iOS or android phones and tablets and will allow you to connect to the forum on all of your devices. The old Tapatalk app is being discontinued so get the new app now.

Get The app HERE

Dismiss Notice

43 year old gearing up for LTHR in February

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Pre-Op Area' started by sowotiff, Dec 26, 2017.

1. sowotiff

sowotiff junior member

United States United States
    I first found this page about a year ago when I woke up the Saturday after Thanksgiving with severe groin pain. I couldn't walk without some sort of assistance. After a couple of weeks of ignoring and seeing a chiropractor I finally went to my primary physician and learned I had avascular necrosis in the left femur.

I decided to have the core decompression procedure in January of this year. Well, let's just say recovery was slow at best and then took a turn for the worse. I finally went back to the ortho and learned that my femur is now beginning to collapse.

Because I am only 43 I initially did not want to have the surgery and thought I would try PT and new meds. However, I quickly realized that I would only be postponing the inevitable and getting rid of this pain sooner rather than later is best. So, February 22, 2018 is surgery day.

This is such a great resource for tips and advice!

2. Jaycey

Jaycey SUPER MODERATOR Moderator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    @sowotiff Sorry you had to suffer through CD only to end up with THR. Unfortunately we see this a lot here on the forum.

The good news is your THR will result in no more hip pain and getting back to life again. There is no age discrimination for THR. We have teenager on this site who have has this amazing surgery.

Please be very careful until your surgery date. I had a collapsed hip joint and that pain is horrid. Baby that hip for now and use a walking aid if the pain gets too bad.

3. MammaT

MammaT supremo

Welcome @sowotiff. I will be a couple of weeks ahead of you with my second replacement. I agree with you getting rid of the pain sooner than later is smart. I waited with my left hip until complete misery set in. My right is not as bad (although today it is misbehaving loudly). I am hoping to have surgery before the collapse. Read the materials here and don’t be afraid to ask questions.

4. sequin98

sequin98 senior

Canada Canada
    Hello! Welcome!!
    The age was a big thing for me too, I discovered all this mess when I was 41. And I tried everything to postpone the inevitable.
    Rumor has it, it will feel better after. Being in my 40's needing new hips is scary.but living with this much pain scares me more.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Layla

Layla FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Hi @sowotiff
    Welcome! As Jaycey mentioned your situation isn't new to the site. @danabanana on the Recovery side comes to mind. Check out her thread. You two are close in age and have the AVN and Core Decompression in common.
    Dana is about 5 weeks into recovery from a THR.
    Stop back often to visit. We'll be here to encourage and cheer you on as you wait and recover.
    Warm wishes for a great week!

6. danabanana

danabanana graduate

Canada Canada
    Hi!!! Thanks for the tag, @Layla

So @sowotiff (clever Handle, BTW hehehe) such a similar story. I had core decompression, in hopes of avoiding a THR, Nov 21/2016, at 40, after a SHOCKING diagnosis in Aug of that same year of AVN. Long, painful, "recovery" (in loose quotations because I didn't recover).......it didn't work. The AVN got worse and my pain continued so when I went to my SO it was no question, a THR was gonna happen... I also decided sooner rather than later. I had my left hip replacement on Nov 20....so, I'm 5 weeks post op now. My recovery is going slow but I also have two auto immune diseases so that slows things down for me.

Anyhow.....cheers to you!!!! I know it's a rough road but Im here for ya. :flwrysmile:

Last edited: Dec 27, 2017
  7. Gretel

Gretel graduate

Australia Australia
    Welcome to the forum. Sounds like things have been pretty awful for you. Glad you’ve got a surgery date sorted. There are wonderful, supportive people in here and questions are welcome :)

8. sowotiff

sowotiff junior member

A bit of a rant.... I am 1 week and 2 days away from my LTHR. Needless to say, I am beyond ready to get this done!

I work for a small organization and have decided to apply for short-term disability for my recovery. I will use all of my sick time and all of the PTO I have accrued leading up to when my STD kicks in. I mentioned somewhere else that my boss has repeatedly tried to discourage me from using STD. She's offered lots of creative alternatives including working from home and/or getting donated time off from colleagues. However, I am NOT a good work-from-home person on a good day and I don't want to ask colleagues to donate their time. Yet, she keeps suggesting these alternatives.

Now this week we learned that one of the supervisors in organization must have hand surgery and will be out for about 2 weeks. She is scheduled to have the surgery towards the end of my leave (or what I am guessing will be my leave). She purposefully scheduled her surgery to try to accommodate the organization. Today, we learned that our Director of Finance has to have a revision HR due to Metallosis. He needs to have this surgery ASAP because he is being poisoned by his bad HR. Needless to say, this has my boss, the CEO, loving OUT!!!! Both of her directors and one of her 2 supervisors will be out on medical leave at the same time.

I get it. This will be tough on the organization. HOWEVER, now I feel like she is trying to guilt me in to returning to work MUCH, MUCH sooner than planned. She is also making comments about needing to look at the STD policy, because it doesn't clearly say when we should be using STD vs. PTO (but it does). I realize she is panicking right now, but..... none of us planned to have this awful stuff happen.

And, while the work that we do is important, we can go through a period of tight times. I have heard so many on here speak about feeling guilted into returning to work (either by others or self-imposed). I want to go in to my recovery feeling comfortable taking as much time as I need. I also want this for my colleagues.

Hopefully in a couple of days she will calm down and we can get to planning instead of panicking. Just ranting, because I know some on here will understand!

9. MammaT

MammaT supremo

Well you certainly have reason to rant @sowotiff. When you say small organization do you mean less than 50 employees ( if 50 or more there are FMLA provisions). As a ceo, it really stinks when I have key staff out at the same time, but it doesn’t seem like anyone is going out for anything light. I don’t want my folks come back until they are ready. I need them to be 100%. So sometimes, I have to do a little (or a lot) more.

I let some of my subordinates guilt me into an earlier return (they would point out how good I was doing, but they couldn’t feel the toll on my body.

While your boss is settling down, maybe you can draft some ideas for coverage plan to help get the conversation started.

10. sowotiff

sowotiff junior member

Yes @MammaT there are only 16 of us in the organization. My CEO actually has a really good heart and really does try to treat us well. However, she is also fairly anxious, reactionary, and crisis focused. It also doesn't help that there are so many unknowns and instead of waiting for the answers she makes up every crazy thing that could happen. I'm sure she'll be calmer in a couple of days. And, it will definitely help when our Director of Finance actually gets his surgery scheduled.

11. MammaT

MammaT supremo

Good luck with all of it. Take care of yourself.

12. anny

anny graduate

New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi @sowotiff .....so sorry you've got this pressure so near to your op! You need to do the best for yourself so that you can make a full recovery, and the company will benefit from that. I don't know anything about US companies, but is it not possible for them to get in temporary help? even if it's extra help at the bottom, and current staff move up the line temporarily to cover those on sick leave? Hopefully something will be sorted, when she's had time to calm down. In the meantime try not to worry and look after yourself :flwrysmile:

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Eddie 1

Eddie 1 junior member

Same surgery day as me. I’m 46 btw, good luck.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Toddlermom

Toddlermom senior

@sowotiff Vent away! You will not know how quickly you can return until you HAVE the surgery. It isn't possible. There might be multiple scenarios. It depends on your job, and your specific medical situation. However, I would attempt to manage their expectations. Find extra temp help. It is not anyone's fault that each person has a medical need.

Returning from STL early might prolong your long term recovery (and full-time return at 100%). Good luck on your last week of preparations!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Jaycey

Jaycey SUPER MODERATOR Moderator

Do not let anyone pressure you to return to work. It's just not worth it in the long run. Take the time you need. Have you read this article - Phased return to work. The recommended time off post THR is 10 - 12 weeks and then a phased return. It's tough when there are so many other issues impacting the work load. But you have been up front with your work place from the beginning. Look after yourself!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Josephine

Josephine FORUM ADMIN, DIRECTOR Administrator

Don't forget to tell her also that you will be on strong pain killers and therefore likely to make mistakes!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  17. Hippielife

Hippielife junior member

YIKES :dubious: can't anyone at your work place volunteer to help you out with meals, wish you well or just a simple how ya doin visit? :chinstroke:
    Sending good thoughts on you journey thru hip replacement. Keep us posted. :egypdance:

• Like Like x 1
  18. sowotiff

sowotiff junior member

LTHR is 1 week from today! Last night I took my last dose of Meloxicam (anti-inflammatory). Curious to see how this next goes without it. I can take Tylenol, but historically I haven't gotten much relief from it. I am planning on working Monday thru Wednesday next week IF the pain isn't too bad. How did folks survive in the last few days without their pain meds?

19. Layla

Layla FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

It's the final countdown @sowotiff
    I'm truly excited for you. As nerve wracking as it can feel at times you're going to have relief!
    I didn't take very many NSAID's....stubborn....so it wasn't a problem for me. I'm sure those who were
    quite dependent on them struggled. But you won't need them anymore, very soon!
    Working right up until surgery will be a helpful distraction I would imagine, as long as you home is prepped for recovery.
    Wishing you comfort and peace as you await the 22nd!

20. Toddlermom

Toddlermom senior

So close! When I went off Meloxicam, I had NO idea how much pain it had been masking. Get as much as you can done in the next two days. My last 3 days were pretty useless. The drug builds in your system over a few days, and as it wears off you will know what is really happening in there. This is the time to start using ice packs for pain relief.....

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1