BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

Dismiss Notice

41 years old - Left TKR on September 5th, 2019

Discussion in 'Knee Replacement Pre-Op Area' started by Goldi5150, Aug 1, 2019.

1. Goldi5150

Goldi5150 new member

United States United States
    Hi Everyone,

Goldi here, I'm 41 years old and from St. Paul, MN. I'm scheduled for my first TKR on my left knee in September. My left knee is stage 4 Patellofemoral arthritis with bone spurring, stage 3 medial and stage 2 lateral in the left knee. Right knee is stage 3 Patellofemoral, stage 3 medial and stage 2 lateral.

I have a connective tissue disorder (Sticklers Syndrome) so all my joints / cartilage / anything with collagen in it sucks. I was also an diagnosed member of the Celiac Disease club for 30+ years, which contributed to significant inflammation until my diagnosis in 2016. My mother also has Sticklers syndrome and both knees and hips replaced by the time she was 50 years old.

I'm excited about having it done as I'm having significantly painful decrepitus, where the knee will give way and I have to hop around on my right leg for a couple of hops before I can go back to walking. I've had the stupid knee lock up while soaking in the bath - that's fun, when it's locked straight, then it's a game of "crunch, ouch, bend" and repeat. *sigh* I've been walking 5k's with a friend for the past 3 years and I'm looking forward to resuming out schedule of walks in the late fall.

My biggest worry is that once I have this knee done and the leg working right and tracking correctly, that the right knee will give out and I'll be back in next year to have the right one done - I'd really like to wait a couple of years if I can. I'm also nervous that once the left knee is done that the left hip will get worse and need replacement soon after - I've been to Mayo Clinic about both of my hips and they told me to come back when I'm ready. I decided to to the knee first because it's the joint that is causing the most significant pain right now.

The OS anticipates a good outcome as he said my ligaments are in good shape and still "stretchy" and I haven't lost much strength in the left leg. Fingers and toes crossed that it goes well!

Goldi

• Like Like x 1
  2. Pumpkln

Pumpkln FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Welcome to BoneSmart, glad you joined us!
    What a long history, glad you are having a TKR. How long between TKR's, it depends. Hopefully with the left knee replaced and taking the work load off the right, you will be able to wait a reasonable amount of time.

If you are at the stage where you have joint pain but don't know for sure if you are ready to have surgery, these links may help:
    Score Chart: How bad is my arthritic hip?
    Choosing a surgeon and a prosthesis
    BMI Calculator - What to do if your surgeon says you're too heavy for joint replacement surgery
    Longevity of implants and revisions: How long will my new joint last?

If you are at the stage where you are planning to have surgery but are looking for information so you can be better prepared for what is to come, take a look at these links:
    Recovery Aids: A comprehensive list for hospital and home
    Recliner Chairs: Things you need to know if buying one for your recovery
    Pre-Op Interviews: What's involved?

And if you want to picture what your life might be like with a replaced hip, take a look at the posts and threads from other BoneSmarties provided in this link:
    Stories of amazing hip recoveries

3. luvcats

luvcats senior

Welcome to the forums! I'll have my 2nd knee done on September 4. I'm also a card carrying member of the Celiac club.

4. Goldi5150

Goldi5150 new member

Hi Luvcats!

Aren't we lucky being members of the Celiac Club :) How was you experience with food in the hospital? I'm really nervous about being inadvertently glutened while I'm there.

5. luvcats

luvcats senior

My experience in hospitals has been mostly good. I spent 2.5 weeks in a hospital for a non-knee related issue earlier this year. I only had one issue. I would call for my meal, they would read back the food allergies listed in my record, and then I would order from the menu and their computer would kick back if I ordered something with an ingredient I shouldn't have. One time I ordered a hamburger and it came with a bun. A regular bun, even though I'd ordered just the patty. I caught it and didn't eat it, and then I kicked up a fuss and they took it very seriously. They tracked down why it happened, told me about how they were going to fix the problem, and checked with me several times while I was still there to make sure I hadn't had any more issues.

My knee was done at a different hospital but part of the same system, and their protocols were the same. When you start doing all the pre-op work at the hospital, I urge you to ask how they handle things at your hospital. If it isn't to your satisfaction and your support system is good, just bring some things with you and have family bring more if you need it. At our hospitals, most knee replacements are only there for one night, so it wasn't too big an issue.

6. Goldi5150

Goldi5150 new member

@luvcats thanks for the info, I think I'll be at the hospital for 1-2 nights, so I'm sure it will be manageable and it's close to my house so my other half can always bring me some snacks if I need them.

• Like Like x 1
  7. sondrals

sondrals junior member

:welome: I'm 41 too and having my first TKR on August 22nd! I don't have quite the extensive medical history as you do. I'm not celiac but I am gluten intolerant and I'm hoping the hospital can accommodate my diet as well. Good luck on your surgery!

8. Goldi5150

Goldi5150 new member

Thank you @sondrals! I hope everything goes well for you!

• Like Like x 1
  9. pdlinda

pdlinda junior member

Goldi5150

I have several of the same issues you do.

Had my left hip replaced 2008 posterior. My right hip was replaced 2017 anterior. When I returned home and started PT exercises I IMMEDIATELY felt right knee grinding and clicking. Right knee examined soon afterward; however, like you I couldn't face major surgery again so soon after the right hip was done.

I started PT in january 2019 to see if I could save the knee. Finally, after almost collapsing at airport after Easter trip to see my kids/grandkids I knew the time had come to replace the right knee. I'm scheduled on Oct 9th.

I have IBS and was satisfied with the menu I received in the ortho hospital I had the knee replaced where I'm returning to get the knee done. However, the thought of dealing with the digestion issues that will surely arise to cause me an IBS flare are starting to cause me some anxiety.

10. pdlinda

pdlinda junior member

Goldi5150

*...in the ortho hospital I had the HIP replaced where I'm returning to get the knee done.

11. Celle

Celle FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

New Zealand New Zealand
  12. Goldi5150

Goldi5150 new member

@pdlinda

It sounds like we have a lot if similarities! I guess time will tell how Long I will go between the TKR and hip replacement!

Coincidentally, I was diagnosed with IBS 20 years before they finally figured out that I had celiac all along... frustrating!

13. Bossy97

Bossy97 new member

I’m also 41. I’m having a cementless TKA done 8-27-19. I’m an operating room nurse & the recovery is a new area for me. I don’t have the medical history you do. My journey started a little over 3 years ago. I tore my meniscus & was told I needed to lose weight. I fell in love with fitness & lost 110 lbs. My knee pain got worse. Xrays showed end strange osteoarthritis in all compartments. I’ve done cortisone, synvisc & PRP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk