TKR 4 years post tka and now pain and swelling

Jerrycat

Country
United States United States
Hello, I had a TKA 4 years ago and out of nowhere my knee had a sharp pain, a snap sound/feeling and I’ve gone downhill since then. I’m am active 63 year old who went from running upstairs, gardening for hours and babysitting 4 grandkids to doing the same but with pain and swelling. I’m 5’7” and 170 lbs. The original surgeon said it’s a bone spur on my kneecap that’s always been there and to baby it. The tk revision doctor said it looks like a patellar fracture and do whatever I can tolerate, then see him in 2 months. The ct scan notes translucency around the tibial piece but that isn’t where the pain and swelling is and I can use that leg to push on a shovel. I did have a rough recovery with huge amounts of swelling. No infection, mild heat at times, tightness and effusion on outside. At night the pain can be a 7 until I go to bed. Any ideas as to what’s going on?

The tk revision doctor said it looks like a patellar fracture and do whatever I can tolerate, then see him in 2 months.
Has this pain increased since your doctor diagnosed the fracture? Do you remember doing anything that might have caused a fracture?

I stopped and turned around in a kitchen rug when it happened the first time and then that type of pain/snapping continued for weeks. I still have the pain and sometimes it feels like there is bone on bone. The pain has increased as driving makes it swell as does walking and gardening. It can still stop me in my tracks but at least I can go up and down the stairs normally. At night I wear a light brace because moving it can eake me up,

Jerrycat- this sounds really frustrating. Does it respond to elevating and icing? Maybe that could help. Or avoiding walking, gardening, and driving for a week?minimal weight bearing activities for a bit. I’m not a Dr but have rehabbed a few injuries. Hopefully, with this post 2 weeks ago, you’re better already

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom