Bilateral TKR 9 months post op

@Christmas knees
Yes, I've had 2 tkrs. Most recent was 9 days ago. And a shoulder replacement in April '22.
Our replacement history appears on left side of the box after your post.
I'm doing just fine with recovery. Especially since I had a successful tkr 4+ yrs ago. It's up and down at times as I'm sure you know by now, but its worth it to have strong knees that don't hurt all the time.
I really cannot imagine having both at the same time. I call you ladies and gents Warriors!
Hope your recovery is going well. This is a great forum to ask for advice, vent, cry, scream and journal.

It is the personal tasks...filling the ice machine for me, helping me to get into our deep soaker tub for a shower, etc, that I feel most guilty for.
Christmas knees, I so understand what you mean. At the beginning we need so much help. The drugs made me horribly sick the first few days. I couldn’t keep anything down at all and was in horrible pain. Once (a bit graphic) I was in bed and threw up into a plastic grocery bag. Thank goodness I made it into the bag, but still, it was gross. He just got up and held out his hand for me to give him the bag and said ‘here, I’ll throw that away’.

I was so miserable and grateful and embarrassed. I told him I was so sorry he had to do that for me. And my sweet husband who grew up on a ranch said with the kindest smile, ‘I’ve put my hand up a cow’s butt, I think I can handle a little vomit’.

Yes, that’s how they check for pregnancy (ew!) Now, I happen to know he’s actually quite squeamish about vomit, but he was so kind and never complained once. At some point during those first awful days I just looked at him and said, ‘do you know how much I appreciate you?’

@JusticeRider if you were miserable and embarrassed how do you think that cow felt?:rotfl:
Sorry, couldn't help myself

@beachy, ah, I see it now! Thanks for the tip.
Wow, three surgeries! You are a warrior!
I chose to do both knees at once just to get it over with, knowing I would likely not want to go throught it again :heehee:
Blessings on your recovery and have a good weekend!

@JusticeRider...right?? I am so thankful for the things done in the name of love ;)
Thanks for sharing your "Super Caregiver/Spouse" story.
I hope your knee is feeling much better by now.
Have a good weekend!

99% of the time I was recovering alone. You ladies are so blessed! But, recovering alone has its advantages. You have to get up and get your own ice, snacks, meals, etc. This is natural PT. I never went out of the house for formal PT, but got plenty of it naturally!

Happy Monday bonesmart friends. I hope you are progressing well in your healing journeys!

Today is 6 weeks post bi-lateral knee replacement surgery for me. The time has gone so fast just with the icing, elevating, exercising and my daily walk at an indoor track that is close to our home. We are so lucky to have this facility as it was -40 Celcius this morning, which oddly enough is also -40 Fahrenheit ;)

I am one of the few folks that have had a bilateral knee replacement in our community so far, this was my surgeon's first! To be fair, I did have to convince him to do it ;) It is also my physiotherapist's first time with a bilateral client, so I am kind of winging it, and so so thankful I found this great site! I don't know what I would have done without reading all the advice and encouragement from the posts and articles.

I am just wondering if anyone else has a hard time standing still for any length of time, or sitting in a chair without elevating? I am ok if I am walking, and can walk around the house without my walker quiet easily, but as soon as I have to stand still for a while (cooking, doing dishes, getting ready for the day) I find it very difficult. I have started keeping a taller stool close by to be able to perch and do what I need to do. I love doing puzzles and have had one on the go for most of the past 6 weeks, but cannot seem to sit for any length of time before I seize up. As a side note, I am still experiencing a fair bit of swelling but do ice and elevate often throughout the day.

Does anyone else experience this...is it normal??

You sound like you’re doing a,axing, @Christmas knees ! I’m in NH, USA but your temps are too cold for me! We’ve had recliners forever so I’m used to elevating anyway but it took me a few months, especially with knee #2, to be able to sit for any length of time with my feet down. I can’t say exactly when but all of a sudden....I could.

Marie

but cannot seem to sit for any length of time before I sieze
I still find being too still- either standing or sitting difficult 13 weeks post PKR.
I have a rocking stool ( came with a rocking chair my daughter bought for nursing her baby) and it really helps. I can sit and watch TV and just gently move my feet. Maybe find some way to regularly move feet during sitting?

I’m 10 months post surgery TKR and my knee still does not like to be static. Gets irritated at night when I sleep in the same position for more than 2-3 hours. I feel for you and the interrupted sleep but it does get better. Bilateral TKRs is nothing short of an amazing display of willpower and fortitude. You will get there :)

@Christmas knees It took me awhile for the stiffness while seated or standing to resolve. Obviously if I sit or stand for very long periods of time I do have stiffness but nothing like it was early on in my recovery.

Sounds like you are making very good progress. Keep up the great work and positive attitude.

BTW -36 here with the wind chill ;)

BTW -36 here with the wind chill ;)
Oh my goodness! Do you find the weather affects your joints? I find my lumbar arthritis is definitely worse in the Winter- but temperature in London never that low.
Or maybe it's the dampness here that's worse and a dry cold is better??

You sound like a super hero to me!
I've only had one tkr at a time and 4+ yrs apart.
Everything you've mentioned sounds normal for tkr.
Your everyday activities sound like a lot for single tkr much less bilateral at 6 weeks.

For point of reference:
After my first tkr my hubs became ill when I was 8 weeks post op and our roles reversed. I became his caretaker and took over household duties. My knee went from feeling good to becoming swollen and painful. I was over doing it.
Make sure you aren't over doing it.
I'm amazed at your progress for bilateral tkr!
Keep icing and elevating.

Hello and Happy Two Month Anniversary!
It seems you received a lot of reassurance that what you're feeling is normal, as those above shared through their own experience. Brave bilateral's amaze me! I wouldn't have the courage to endure two at a time.
Thanks for sharing your journey! It will be beneficial to others and it is interesting to follow.
Have a great week and stay warm!
@Christmas knees

@Layla , thank you for your thoughts! It has been a journey for sure, but so far so good. I am starting to think about going to the office for short visits in a week or so, a goal I look forward to working toward if my surgeon gives me the AOK to drive in a couple of days . I miss my work team like crazy!!
Take care and stay well!

@Layla , thank you for your thoughts! It has been a journey for sure, but so far so good. I am starting to think about going to the office for short visits in a week or so, a goal I look forward to working toward if my surgeon gives me the AOK to drive in a couple of days . I miss my work team like crazy!!
Take care and stay well!
Happy Two Month Anniversary!!! I am glad you are doing so well! My bilateral is 2 weeks behind you. Today is my six week anniversary. Sounds like you are doing amazing. Going back to work has really elevated my spirits. (I office out of my home, but the sitting can be a bit much. Just remember to move around a lot!) Please take care!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JPL2016
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom