Bilateral TKR 9 months post op

Christmas knees

Country
Canada Canada
Good morning!
I had Bilateral knee replacement Dec 19, 2022. I am 65, a Realtor, so active , and doing fairly well so far. Today would be day 17 post op. I have been doing the post op exercises recommended by my surgeon faithfully and have my first physio appt tomorrow. I am interested to hear what the physio therapist will suggest going forward.
So far I have been using a walker but find I carry it more often than use it lately . Sadly it is cold and snowy here in Saskatchewan, Canada as is usual for January. I was wondering if anyone had any good ideas to get in some steps indoors...is it too early for a treadmill?
Thanks in advance for you suggestions!

@Christmas knees Hi and Welcome!

I‘ve moved your post above out of the Monthly team thread as we reserve that thread for surgery date information, and so members can see who else has surgery the same month. We prefer all other comments and discussion to take place in a pre op or recovery thread, such as this one.
Enjoy interacting with others who are on the same journey, here in this thread. :flwrysmile:

Personally I would not use a treadmill this early. Even well into my recovery I was a bit fearful of the constant movement, in case I could not keep up. I preferred to walk on stable ground/flooring. We are all different, though, and others may have a different opinion.

I will leave you our Recovery Guidelines. Each article is short but very informative. Following these guidelines will help you have a less painful recovery.

Just keep in mind all people are different, as are the approaches to this recovery and rehab. The key is, “Find what works for you.“ Your doctors, PTs and BoneSmart are available to help, but you are the final judge as to the recovery approach you choose.

Knee Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary

2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
If you want to use something to help heal the incision,
BoneSmart recommends hypochlorous solution. Members in the US can purchase ACTIVE Antimicrobial Hydrogel through BoneSmart at a discount. Similar products should be available in the UK and other countries.​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

6. Access to these pages on the website

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling
Heel slides and how to do them properly
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in the majority of BoneSmart’s forums, we ask that each member have only One Recovery Thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review the member’s history before providing advice, so please post any updates or questions you have right here in this thread.

I understand why you would want to use your treadmill, but here's what a physio dr. told me several years ago. An elliptical or treadmill can cause your gait to be off. I wouldn't think that you would want to risk walking much distance while in your healing stage and risk a gait related issue.
Would you consider using a bicycle? Whenever I had physio for my hips, I was always started on the bicycles. I noticed with the knee people, they did the same. If you don't have a stationary or recumbent bike, maybe you can get one of those under the desk pedalers? Or there's some sort of bracket that lets you change a normal :outdoor" bike into a stationary one.
We also had members who drove themselves to the mall to walk there in snowy/icy conditions.

I hope this helps.. wishing you the best of the best for your continued good recovery!

Last edited:
@Christmas knees I think at 2 weeks post op a treadmill may be a little too much so early on in your recovery.

I primarily used a stationary bike in my recovery with the seat as high as it would go where I could still reach the peddles, then slowly try rotating forward. If you hit resistance then go backwards, again, until you hit resistance. Continue this and over time you will complete a revolution and be ready to lower the seat.

I understand wanting to get walking but this early on I feel you need better balance and better control over your movements, something I believe a treadmill will impede.

Take care and all the best.

Thank you so much for your advice DJL1967. My Physiotherapist said the same thing today. I have a stationary bike..will try a few minutes and see how it goes.
Best of luck in your continued recovery!

Your therapist is right on target and so is DJL1967. A stationary bike is one of the best ways to exercise new knees, even in the early days of recovery. It allows your muscles to work and the joint to move without the stress of weight on the joint. My only caution would be to start slow with your time on the bike (maybe 5 minutes a couple of times a day for the first week). This is assuming you can do full rotations - that's the first thing you need to accomplish. Once you can do the rotations, you can gradually increase your time by 5 minute increments each week (if you don't experience any pain or swelling from the activity) until you get to a reasonable level - no more than 20 or 30 minutes daily. The key is to pay attention to your body and make sure you're not pedaling so much that you get swelling. And no resistance for now....just the pedaling motion is what you need. You'll have plenty of time for strength building a little later on in your recovery.

Hello. I thought I should update my healing process and maybe ask for a bit of advice ;)
Today is 4 weeks from my double knee replacement surgery. I have been doing fairly well, doing my exercises 2-3 times a day, elevating and icing. I have only have 1 PT session a week ago and the Therapist was happy with my progress and go back for another appt at the end of the week.
Currently, I am taking acetaminophen regularily but no other pain meds at this time, although I have some on hand if needed
This past week I have started to experience some nerve pain, especially at night. My legs feel like they are burning right down to my toes, a sensation of pins and needles. The nights have suddenly become much longer and uncomfortable.
My surgeon had prescribed gabapentin earlier but I had finished that dose. I got another prescription just this weekend and take 2x100 mg at bedtime, but it doesn't seem to be helping much at all now.
I would appreciate any other suggestions for relief. Thank you!

@Christmas knees Welcome to the other side!
I got another prescription just this weekend and take 2x100 mg at bedtime, but it doesn't seem to be helping much at all now.
It can take awhile for this drug to be effective. Just keep taking it as prescribed. Are you icing and elevating regularly?

Getting into a routine following this surgery can be a challenge. Just keep at it!

Here are your recovery guidelines:
Knee Recovery: The Guidelines
We are all different, as are the approaches to this recovery and rehab. The key is, “Find what works for YOU.“ Your doctor(s), physiotherapist(s) and BoneSmart are here to help. But you have the final decision as to what approach you use.

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary

2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
5. Here is a very general week-by-week guide. Activity progression for TKRs

6. Access these pages on the website

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling
Heel slides and how to do them properly
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

I merged your newest thread with your original recovery thread, as we prefer that members in recovery have only one thread.

This benefits you because all your information is in one place, easy to find, and maintains a nice journal for you.

This also benefits our staff, as your information is all in one place, and we often go back through your thread for previous details, so we know what you‘ve been through which helps us advise you better.

So, please keep all your posts in this thread. If you’d like a new title, let us know what you want, and we’ll change it for you.

Many members bookmark their thread in their computer browser, so they can find it when they log on.
How can I find my threads and posts?

Best wishes on your continuing recovery! :flwrysmile:

Thank you for advice on the meds and threads! Much appreciated!
I have been pretty diligent with icing and elevating....lucky to have borrowed an additional ice machine, one for each knee!

Wow, how great that you are able to have an ice machine for each leg, @Christmas knees Bet they go through ice like crazy!

I'm sorry you are dealing with so much nerve pain. I remember being awakened in the middle of the night with zingers that felt like electric shocks. It's awful, but -- the upside is that it means that the nerves are healing. It does dissipate eventually, but I hope the medication kicks in soon.

Sending hugs :console2:

Thanks @benne68 ! I understand it takes a few days for the nerve meds to build up in the system so sure it will be better soon. And yes! Knowing this discomfort means healing is helpful.
Hope you have a most wonderful day!

:hi: Happy One Month Anniversary, to date.
I hope the nerve meds kick in soon so you're more comfortable. A peaceful weekend to you as you continue your healing journey.
@Christmas knees

Good morning Bonesmart friends! I hope the day is starting out great for you.
Today I am thinking about my poor husband who has been tirelessly on duty for 4 1/2 weeks now. A big shout-out to caregivers!! It is alot and I sense he is getting a bit tired of it all. And who could blame him :shrug:
He is retired and used to alot of free time as I am a busy Realtor, used to being away from the house most of the time. Big change for us both.
I take care of myself and am doing my best to do more cooking, cleaning, etc but there are things I can't do quite yet. We live in a 110 year old home with steep stairs to the laundry, etc that I tried to tackle last week followed by a few days of pain and swelling. I don't want to do too much to set back recovery.
He does have his own routine, gets out every day and even took me for a drive and coffee at a drive through yesterday! That was awesome.
Any advice on how to make him feel more appreciated, other than "thank you, thank you, thank you"
All suggestions welcome! Thanks!

I understand what you are feeling. I had a similar situation with my husband, @Christmas knees. I even told him that I felt guilty having him do so much for me.

Here's what he told me: "This is what we do for someone we love. I am happy to be able to take care of you. There is no keeping score in marriage."

Best of all, he has continued to handle some of the household tasks even though I'm fully recovered. I haven't done laundry in almost a year and a half!
:heehee:

That is beautiful @benne68 ...and true I know. I think as women, we are just so used to being the caregiver ourselves...not easy to be on the receiving end.
Thanks for sharing your experience! The funny thing is my husband has taken care of most of the household tasks for quite a while, my work schedule being most days all day . It is the personal tasks...filling the ice machine for me, helping me to get into our deep soaker tub for a shower, etc, that I feel most guilty for. And if the shoe were on the other foot I would do the same for him of course. It is just hard to accept I am not superwoman I guess..lol

Lol...thanks for the encouragement @beachy! Much appreciated :yes:
I am still trying to find my way around this site. Have you had a knee placement as well? How far along are you on your journey?

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks

Latest posts