Lounge Doctor

THR 4 weeks post op

Spex10

post-grad
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Thanks @Jana777. Actually I can't really complain. I sleep pretty well in bursts that add up to 7ish hours a day. I'm not in much pain and generally feel stronger every day. Long may it continue!
I hope you keep on keeping on in a positive way too.

OP
OP
J

Jana777

Country
Australia Australia
Thank you! Yes I'm walking about 2 miles a day now after 7 weeks. I still like to have the stick with me but can manage. I think the soft tissue will take some healing still. Great that you're doing so well. I'm still finding that getting a comfy position in bed is tricky but it'll come in time. All the very best for your continued recovery.

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Country
United States United States
I think the soft tissue will take some healing still
Here is an interesting article from the BoneSmart Library on healing.
You seem to be doing well. Try a variety of pillows in bed if you haven’t already. I found it helpful in an effort to get comfortable. One here, one there to plop an arm or leg on.
I hope you have a lovely weekend! :)

OP
OP
J

Jana777

Country
Australia Australia
8 weeks post op now. Walking about a mile every day and getting around the house well. However I'm getting SI joint area ache during and after and feel the need to bend to stretch it?? I'm aware of every step when I'm out and feel my posture is better with the stick and can walk longer and easier. Pain for me is also in my butt. I've searched here and learned a lot about piriformis. Surgeon said he cut it to dislocate the hip. I had issues with it prior to LTHR and it's still there. I feel I want to wriggle it out when standing. Would give anything to sleep but this butt pain prevents full sleeps. I'd like to stretch piriformis and I think I'll give it a go now that I'm 8 weeks +. Surgeon said before op not to do physio as walking was all I'd need. I think my pelvis is still hanging forward (5 years of labral tears in hip therefore walked weirdly) which puts strain on my si joint. Maybe hamstring stretches too? I think I need a complete overhaul! Still it's only 8 weeks, I realise patience is needed but I'd just be happy to think this might all be temporary. Thanks for listening!!

Eman85

supremo
Country
I had pain in the butt with both sides. It took some time to work it out. I started stretches very gently and progressed from there never forcing a stretch.

CricketHip

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
@Jana777 Did you have restrictions given to you post op? I had an anterior THR so don't know what and for how long the restrictions last but a gentle piriformis stretch could be helpful, especially if you are familiar with doing them? Can you call your surgeon's office and ask for their opinion? I don't consider a piriformis stretch as Physical therapy, but that's just my opinion.

A soft ball to roll your hip over may help, too. Or take a couple thick socks and roll them up and roll around on that?
By 8 weeks I had a good therapeutic massage session which helped me so much! I opted for another one about two weeks later and boy, did they help.

I hope you can get some relief and get some good sleep.

OP
OP
J

Jana777

Country
Australia Australia
Thank you Eman85 and Crickethip. I had posteria hip replacement and was told just to walk as much as possible. The surgeon said he'd cut the piriformis and medius and basically "what do you expect" was the answer he gave me. I'll try a gentle stretch as you mention. It doesn't hurt or pull too much when I'm up and about or even sitting- its just through the night even with lots of well placed pillows and an ice gel pack every now and then. I have a small padded material ball that I can't be without at night as I lie on it to stop the ache in my bottom. Pain in the butt. Perhaps it will indeed rectify as time goes on. I don't get pain in the hip area as such, it's all wound sensitivity and butt and low back. Sorry to be a bit flat, I've probably come quite far and don't realise what's healing inside. The healing chart was very good and I must take that to heart. Again thank you. ‍

New

OneStep App

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
FunctionIsFun
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom