TKR 4 Weeks out RTKR

dfrishman

Country
United States United States
I'm 51, so most of the articles I read about recovery seemed geared towards people in their 60's. I was driving at day 3, no pain meds after day 2. My cpm machine by day 7 was at 120. I never used a walker, cane or any other device to walk. Staples out on day 14 ( to be honest very painful!), also back to work. Had in home PT for the first two weeks, where I got my bend to around 95 degrees, saw the doctor the following week and he told me that I really didn't need to do any out patient PT, that I was progressing way ahead of schedule and I should be fine if I continued my exercises at the gym. Week 3, went to the gym to try and use the bike, was able to make it around , albeit uncomfortably. The following day used eliptical which was much easier and allowed me to finally sweat after three weeks! Four weeks out currently, I'm walking with a very slight hitch in my giddyup, sometimes I feel like I don't have a limp at all, but watching myself on camera it's obvious that I'm not walking 100 percent normally. My right leg prior was bowing out, so I'm learning to walk a little differently. Still swollen and stiff, and I still ice after working and exercise. When I walk it's tight around the top of my knee cap. Wondering how long that will last? Biggest problems that I encountered, was trying to pee after coming out of surgery (which was out patient), constipation from the pain meds early on, the staple removal and sleeping (only now can I sleep on my stomach again). The first two weeks are rough, but it's improving quickly after that and I'm already so glad I had it done. Now, I just have to make it last, since I had it so young. (ACL repair in my 20's caused the early onset of arthritis.) I did try some hydralaunic acid a month before surgery, it didn't help...I'm going to try it on my left knee before it gets to the point of not helping that one either.

It is good to read such a good post surgery report. Although older than you, I have biked all summer which kept my legs strong. Looking forward to getting back to exercising soon.

It’s really nice to hear a good report! I was 45 when I had my left done and it went great! Not as great as your’s but eventually was amazing. Then I had might right done at 52. Not so great, many revisions etc. My last full knee replacement revision in Jan of ‘19 was similar to yours. Had one more revision in May. Hoping that was last. Working hard on PT still. Hope you continue to progress!

@dfrishman Welcome to BoneSmart. Sounds like you are doing very well with this recovery.

Your results really do not have anything to do with your age. It's about how bad your knee was, the expertise of your surgeon and the level of fitness pre-op. Note that many of our members have major mobility problems pre-op making it impossible to be active.

I'm very happy you have seen such rapid results. But I would not want anyone reading your report to compare their recovery to yours. It's just not the norm I'm afraid.

Happy Healing!

It’s really nice to hear a good report! I was 45 when I had my left done and it went great! Not as great as your’s but eventually was amazing. Then I had might right done at 52. Not so great, many revisions etc. My last full knee replacement revision in Jan of ‘19 was similar to yours. Had one more revision in May. Hoping that was last. Working hard on PT still. Hope you continue to progress!
Wow, all those revisions. Are the revisions as invasive as the original TKR? Also how did you know you needed revisions? Could you feel pain, swelling? just curious for the future..

Your results really do not have anything to do with your age. It's about how bad your knee was, the expertise of your surgeon and the level of fitness pre-op. Note that many of our members have major mobility problems pre-op making it impossible to be active.
I'm almost 70 but am pretty happy with my results only one week out today. Stopped pain meds on day 3, only OTC meds for pain. Not in any serious pain anyhow but swelling and stiffness. Still using walker but expect to switch to cane soon. I think that working with a trainer for months in advance to get my arms and legs strong made all the difference. If muscles were weak going in I think it would be much more difficult. I'm grateful that I was able to get to the gym, although honestly I hate every second of it! And my surgeon is very skilled and doesn't use staples thank goodness. First shower today!

Sounds like lots of progress for several people. But, as Jaycey said, and I totally agree, every knee is different, pre-op condition varies, and if recovery is much slower for some people (and that is the norm), then no one should be discouraged nor compare your recovery to anyone else’s. We all heal at different rates.

Dfrishman great on you. 53 here and having a heck of a time. But it'll be ok too late to turn back now.
Glad your doing good:):):).

Booger

Dfrishman great on you. 53 here and having a heck of a time. But it'll be ok too late to turn back now.

Booger
I had mine September 28! What's going on with yours? Are you up and about? Driving?

Last edited:
@dfrishman, that's a unicorn and rainbows recovery. I'm happy you skipped past a lot of the drama of TKR recovery.

Did you have your driving leg done? I did some pre-hab before surgery and agree strengthening upper and lower muscle groups made quite a difference in my recovery.
When I walk it's tight around the top of my knee cap.
My recovery has been different from yours but, at almost 8 weeks, I still have that tight feeling around the kneecap when I walk too much in a single session. It's The Knee's signal that I've maxed my walking limit for the time.

Booger
I had mine September 28! What's going on with yours? Are you up and about? Driving?
Just having pain cant sleep very good. Also the extension is around 11 and flex is around 105 last p.t. I am driving and walking 10 to 15 mins 2 or 3 times a day. Doing normal house stuff. Up down kitchen bathroom trips. Doing some pt exercises the pt gave me 2x a day. But im a big guy out of shape. Work swing shift 12hr days on a toilet paper machine.
How about you.

Booger

Hope your bathroom trips have improved. My first 2 months were good, a set back from pain in knee and right side. Visit with Surgeon 2 days ago he found muscle on outside of knee building more than the inside so pulling on knee cap. Now need to do exercise for the inner. LIMP, I was starting to feel a limp when walking and found by concentrating on Heel & Toe, it stopped. Hope that helps.

I run a meat warehouse, so I'm in and out of freezers all day long. Somedays building pallets, lifting heavy boxes as well. First week back, knee was tired and extra swollen, now it's not bad at all. I've been gym rat all of my life, probably has helped me recover faster, but i still weigh 205. Sleep has just now gotten better, since I can sleep on my left side and stomach. It's different for everybody. I told everyone before I started that I would be driving in the first week and I would be back to work after week 1..people were like "your crazy...never going to happen". I drove on my third day, but needed an extra week away from work. I'm just hoping everything stays solid, I saw that post about revisions the one lady was having and that terrifies me!

yes it was my right knee, but hitting brake and accelerator didn't require too much bending.

Very good point @ski_bum . If you had an accident and did not have an official release to drive from your surgeon, your insurance might not pay out. Best to get the official word at your followup appointment before attempting to drive post op.

Very good point @ski_bum . If you had an accident and did not have an official release to drive from your surgeon, your insurance might not pay out. Best to get the official word at your followup appointment before attempting to drive post op.
There are no such laws or insurance requirements in the U.S., other than you can't drive on pain meds. I've been driving 35 miles to and from work everyday since day 15:loll:

dfrish, what was the date of your surgery?

You must have had your left knee done if you're driving this soon. I agree with @hawk2go , unicorns and rainbows recovery, you are very lucky. Not the typical one. Glad you are recovering so nicely, it sure makes it all worth it, right?

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom