TKR 4 Weeks out RTKR

OP
OP
D

dfrishman

Country
United States United States
You must have had your left knee done if you're driving this soon. I agree with @hawk2go , unicorns and rainbows recovery, you are very lucky. Not the typical one. Glad you are recovering so nicely, it sure makes it all worth it, right?
no, it was right knee. To be quite honest, I could have driven home from the surgery. I was able to move my leg enough from the beginning to press the brake and the gas. But, I waited until day 3..I couldn't stay in the house that long. Went to get the car washed. I went in, with the mindset that I would be doing these things..not knowing for sure but expecting to. I know that most of these protocols are aimed at people in the mid 60's and up and I'm sure If I was in that age group I'd be in the same situation. I was at the gym the day before surgery and kept working even in the pain I was experiencing to walk. So, I was ready...not to mention I have a fairly high pain tolerance. I'm hopeful that my recovery continues, it seems I've hit a bit of a plateau..

kneeper

Staff member since January 2014
BoneSmart Staff
Country
It doesn't really depend on age. Some people in their 40s have a slower recovery than older people.

BarabooProud

Country
I went in, with the mindset that I would be doing these things..not knowing for sure but expecting to.

I also had the mindset that I would recover quickly. Did not happen. I'm only 50 and have worked out my whole life. Was in shape going in. The pain continues and I get a tight feeling around my knee every time I walk around for more than 5-10 min. Just be careful not to judge others who did not recover as quickly. They may have done everything they were supposed to and things just didn't work out the way they wanted. So happy for you and jealous!

Jaycey

ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011
Administrator
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
I know that most of these protocols are aimed at people in the mid 60's and up and I'm sure If I was in that age group I'd be in the same situation.
Not true! "These protocols" are aimed at anyone recovering from TKR. There is no age discrimination when it comes to joint replacement. Recovery is different for everyone. What works for you might not be appropriate for others. As our guidelines say:

We are all different, as are the approaches to this recovery and rehab. The key is, “Find what works for YOU.“ Your doctor(s), physiotherapist(s) and BoneSmart are here to help. But you have the final decision as to what approach you use.

Sks1997

senior
Country
I am happy to read about a fast recovery! I recovered slow and painful on my first and seems that I am doing same on this one. It wears on me mentally almost as much as physically. I was doing free weights and recumbent bike before my surgery but knee was so bad I had to stop doing the lunges and squats. And I am at a good weight. I finally believe it is truly different for everyone. I’ve seen people that have done no pre-hab and obese that have had quick recoveries.
Today my husband mentioned cancelling our Florida trip in Feb because of my slow recovery. I bought him Daytona tickets which he will go with our friend so I won’t be the one doing so much walking. And by Feb in Indiana, you are so sick of cold and winter that you just want some sunshine!
Not cancelling the trip!

Cocopug

Country
Netherlands Netherlands
I'm 51, so most of the articles I read about recovery seemed geared towards people in their 60's. I was driving at day 3, no pain meds after day 2.
Amazing recovery, good for you.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Lyla
Recent bookmarks
Top Bottom