THR 4 weeks out - Questions

Hello @RUA

Just catching up on your thread.
Something else you may want to consider for sleep is Magnesium.

Magnesium supports the following:
Bone health
Healthy blood sugar
Cardiovascular health
Muscle relaxation and nerves
Promotes healthy sleep (falling asleep and staying asleep)

An article on Magnesium -
https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/magnesium-is-a-star.20301/

Wishing you some restorative rest this evening and a peaceful weekend! :)
Layla: Yes I take magnesium supplement during the day and then I take a magnesium drink at night called Calm to help with muscle spasms. It helps the muscle but the insomnia is still pretty strong. I think it may just take some time. Thx for the links !

Ok I have to ask- Is it normal to still have trouble focusing at this point? I know it may be ties to the energy drain but ia m still having to push through to get things done. I have burst of energy to get things done by by mid afternoon after my walks I am zoned out a bit. I am only taking 1 tramadol at night for bed and tylenol during the day. If its normal and I just have to be patient thats fine but if its not I need to figure out why...

@RUA yes those episodes of energy drain are normal. It really takes much longer than you would think to heal from major surgery of any kind. Even when your new hip is feeling good and most if not all extraneous aches and pains are gone, there is still lots of healing going on at cellular level. Every one's journey is different of course ... for me after BTHR I was having those "nap attacks" for up to 6 months after the surgery. They do go away eventually :)

Reactions: RUA
@RUA yes those episodes of energy drain are normal. It really takes much longer than you would think to heal from major surgery of any kind. Even when your new hip is feeling good and most if not all extraneous aches and pains are gone, there is still lots of healing going on at cellular level. Every one's journey is different of course ... for me after BTHR I was having those "nap attacks" for up to 6 months after the surgery. They do go away eventually :)
Ok thx so much for responding. I am being patient lol

@Sheila-Seattle The OneStep programme is something we are partnering with here. I have highlighted your interest to Jamie who is leading on this.

Participate in OneStw app it is a great aid.
Yes I am participating- just got the app and used it today. Thx

I found your thread because I'm at one month and checking what others experienced at that point. I can't find this app. Can anyone point me with a link? thanks.
Hey I am sorry as I just saw this - they should reach out to you about the app- it has been helpful for me to use it . I am 7 weeks post op now and getting stronger and doing light pt and walking a mile and sometimes more a day . The app has been helpful to track progress and do the exercises as well. Bless you on your recovery.

Question about treadmills: i am 7 weeks post op been walking about a mile a day here outside but it’s about to ice over down here for a while. Is it too early to try to use the treadmill? Is it a good or bad thing at this stage of recovery? Thx for the response

I personally have no experience with using a treadmill @RUA, but I think you could apply common sense here, and if I'm way off base one of the other staff will set me straight! :) If you don't use any incline, and keep it as slow as you would walk outside I would probably give it a try. If you have been walking a mile, I would start with 1/2 a mile and see how you feel. Better to ramp up slowly that pay the price for being aggressive.

Hi :hi: @RUA
The treadmill may be okay at a slow speed with no incline initially. Just to be safe, consider communicating with your surgeons office to get clearance from a member of his care team, allowing them to advise. I think you’ll be most comfortable receiving reassurance from them. Please let us know how it goes. Those following behind may take an interest in your progress.
A wonderful Thursday and weekend to you! :)

Reactions: RUA
@RUA thanks. Yes I asked about the OneStep app and then got hooked up. I've only tried it once but have my first appointment Tuesday. It's amazing what it can do.

I'm curious at 7 weeks you say you're walking a mile. Is that all at once or over the day? And is it all flat? I live in a hilly place and my PT here tells me I need to be able to walk without my cane for an hour at once before I try my hills! I'm only at 5 weeks and eager.

Last edited:
@RUA thanks. Yes I asked about the OneStep app and then got hooked up. I've only tried it once but have my first appointment Tuesday. It's amazing what it can do.

I'm curious at 7 weeks you say you're walking a mile. Is that all at once or over the day? And is it all flat? I live in a hilly place and my PT here tells me I need to be able to walk without my can for an hour at once before I try my hills! I'm only at 5 weeks and eager.
Hi- yes it is all flat and i typically walk it all at once - I also go grocery shopping and such but i don’t count those steps - i use a cane when i am outside in case i move too fast and lose my balance but i don’t use it at home - i am hoping to not use the cane here soon but I know that it’s different for everyone - my biggest focus is gaining more flexibility and strength - i do have pains here and there especially after pt and walking (close together) but my body tends to heal slowly so I am contributing some of it to this. I know people who have done great at 6 weeks and people who are still taking time to heal at 6 months , it’s really up to your body. Since you have hills that means endurance so maybe that’s why you need to walk a little longer before doing. Regardless i wish you all the best.

Hi :hi: @RUA
The treadmill may be okay at a slow speed with no incline initially. Just to be safe, consider communicating with your surgeons office to get clearance from a member of his care team, allowing them to advise. I think you’ll be most comfortable receiving reassurance from them. Please let us know how it goes. Those following behind may take an interest in your progress.
A wonderful Thursday and weekend to you! :)
Yes they said i can do the treadmill- honestly my surgeon was really good but i have learned more information on forums - i am the one to go to them and ask about things verses being given the information so it feels a bit backwards - since it is cold here with bad weather i will try the treadmill and see how I do. I will report back.

Ok folks so I live in Texas and have been dealing with all of the snow- no water for a week and loss of power (not for too long praise God) and tbh I am finding myself really exhausted by the time the day is coming to a close. I am 2 months out from surgery and have been healing well (slowly but on track) is it normal for me to feel this way if I am stressed? Is the drain still happening at 2 months? Since the surgery when i am out of energy i feel beyond depleted , just want to be sure something else isn’t happening- thx

is it normal for me to feel this way if I am stressed? Is the drain still happening at 2 months? Since the surgery when i am out of energy i feel beyond depleted
Totally normal. It's energy drain and nearly everyone feels this post op. Recovery is tough enough. But I really feel for you dealing with the added stress of the situation there.

Hang in there and be good to yourself!

Hey everyone - don’t know if anyone will see this but i am 10 weeks out now still walking a mile a day if i can outside (unless the weather is bad)- i have been having pain and inflammation in the joint area of my hip and when i went to my first PT session they said it’s possible I have tendinitis in the joint - i see the doctor next week but sent them a note and they told me yes it’s possible and that they would discuss it more when i se e to me and possibly give me a steroid shot for it. Has anyone had a steroid shot in their operated hip area? I thought tendinitis only happened if u were doing too much ??

If there is a possibility that you have tendonitis, you will really need to baby that leg/hip.
No fun, I know.:bored:

I found that short walks several times per day, often with a shorter stride, was more helpful while healing was still happening.
I know it was hard to edit myself at times once I was rid of that bone crunching pain and ready to get back to fit and mobile.
Many times I had to take a few steps back to settle things down and get back on track.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
MaxiHound
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom