Hip Arthroscopy 4 Months Post-Op FAI/Labrum Repair

Your patience is admirable. It is not always easy to come by in recovery. I am sorry your right hip is interfering with enjoying the progress your left is making. Let us know how your OS visit goes in February. Until then, good luck and Happy New Year!
@Sammy-Am

Sammy-Am, sounds like you are doing great in your recovery! The fact that this is now your ‘strong’ hip speaks volumes. Good for you for trusting your body and the process of healing!

About your other hip. Ugh. That’s a tough one! One the one hand, you want to get back to pain free living with two good hips, right? On the other hand, you just now started to feel better and the thought of another surgery probably does not sound very tempting! I feel for you.

There are pros and cons to both waiting and doing the other hip soon. As an outside observer, it’s easy for me to say, “just do it and get it over with! Then you can heal and get on with life!”. But you’re the one that has to go through it, so only you know what the right choice is for you.

Full confession: I had a partial replacement on my left knee in August. I know my other knee probably needs to be done at some point. It would probably be wise to get it done sooner, before it gets worse. But at this point, you’d have to drag me kicking and screaming into the operating room :yikes:
I might feel differently when my left knee is more healed, but right now I just hope it holds out for as long as possible!!

Best of luck in your recovery and in making your decision. You’re doing great!

Last edited:
Sammy-Am, sounds like you are doing great in your recovery! The fact that this is now your ‘strong’ hip speaks volumes. Good for you for trusting your body and the process of healing!

About your other hip. Ugh. That’s a tough one! One the one hand, you want to get back to pain free living with two good hips, right? On the other hand, you just now started to feel better and the thought of another surgery probably does not sound very tempting! I feel for you.

There are pros and cons to both waiting and doing the other hip soon. As an outside observer, it’s easy for me to say, “just do it and get it over with! Then you can heal and get on with life!”. But you’re the one that has to go through it, so only you know what the right choice is for you.

Full confession: I had a partial replacement on my left knee in August. I know my other knee probably needs to be done at some point. It would probably be wise to get it done sooner, before it gets worse. But at this point, you’d have to drag me kicking and screaming into the operating room :yikes:
I might feel differently when my left knee is more healed, but right now I just hope it holds out for as long as possible!!

Best of luck in your recovery and in making your decision. You’re doing great!

Hi again!

Thanks for the reply!

At the moment, I’m actually pretty tempted to schedule surgery the next time I see my surgeon. I’m definitely in the mindset of “let’s get it done and over with!”

The surgery aspect (and that amazing nap time!) has seemed like the easiest part of the process so far, so the surgery itself I’m not afraid of or putting off. My crutches keep eyeing me from the corner of my bedroom and I’m not thrilled about another year and a half long recovery. But, I see the progress my left hip has made so there is definitely light at the end of the tunnel!

Working in healthcare, we’re in our slow period at the moment. I’m gradually progressing to part time which would be ideal for another surgery. And besides stiffness and the aforementioned qualms of this past recovery, my only two other concerns are driving (since it’s my right leg), and NY snow—if and when that will ever come. But since recovery from arthroscopy is so long, I can’t see waiting the full year and a half before starting the other hip.

I hope your recovery from your knee surgery is going well! We see a lot of partial and total knees in the office and I wouldn’t wish that torture on anyone. Seeing the other side is amazing, but the journey definitely isn’t easy.

I’ll try not to be a stranger on the thread and will definitely post after my next follow up in February—if I remember :giggle:.

Best,
Sam

Definitely keep us updated Sam! It sounds like you’ve got a great attitude and are in a good place mentally to handle another surgery. Let us know what you decide!

Hi Hippie Friends! :wave:

Figured it was about that time to hop on for another update and a new avatar—my baby Maggie :doggie:

I’ve been doing PT since the beginning of this year and overall have felt great. My right (non-surgical) hip is still a painful, hot mess—not nearly as bad as the left side before surgery, luckily. Lots of popping and locking and feeling like it’s going to give out. And that pain afterwards is horrific :sad:.

I follow up with my hip surgeon on the 17th of this month and I think I’m going to schedule surgery for the right side. I think it’s time. I made the mistake of sitting on the floor to play with the dog a few weeks ago, and couldn’t get up. I think at 31 that’s when you know to just get it done and over with LOL.

On a lighter note, my left (surgical side) seemed to be benefiting after the long PT hiatus. I even did a Yin yoga class yesterday morning and my hip was more than happy to comply. But, the past several days I’ve been dealing with a nasty flare up—going to hard, I suppose.

My last approved session of PT was today and while I love PT and everything it stands for, I’ll give you a small glimpse of what they had me doing at almost 7 months post-op.

Stretching:
Hamstring
Thomas
Pirformis
Hip Mobilizations with Mulligan Strap
Hip Flexor Stretch (Low Lunge)
Foam Rolling

Strengthening
Clamshells (and Reverse Clamshells)
Single Leg Bridges
Band Walks
Hip Machine (usually 30lbs)
Knee Extension/Hamstring Curl Machine (40lbs/50lbs)
Leg Press (75lbs)
Squats on a Bosu Ball
Single Leg Ball Toss
Pistol Squats
RDL’s

Usually all of those done in a session, sessions 2x’s a week :mcoffee:

From my last visit with my surgeon in January, I’m guessing my flare up is from a nasty case of hip flexor tendinopathy. At the moment I’m trying to rest, take Tylenol, use hot packs, and elevate. I’ll see if I get more approved PT visits and if so, decide to do more before seeing my doctor or just let my body continue to rest.

One of these days I’ll have two happy and working hips. I know I’m almost at the next stage, but boy does the waiting stink. But I know that in due time this will all be a thing of the past.

So long for now,
Sam

Wow, Sam, you’ve been busy! I’m so happy for you that you were able to do a yoga class! It sounds like you’re set on the surgery for your other hip, so that has to give you some peace of mind. Always good to have a plan! That PT list. Sounds exhausting. Mine was much the same though, I had a white board set up in my room to keep track of all the exercises. And oh, most importantly, your pup is adorable! What kind is she? She looks a lot like my little terrier Ladybug. Anyway, best of luck with your appointment on the 17th. I hope your left hip continues to improve and you’re able to schedule your right hip at a good time. Onward and upward!

Hi @Sammy-Am :wave:
I know you are young and PT for strengthening and toning can certainly be helpful but that PT List :flabber: all in one session:flabber: with that kind of weight:
Leg Press (75lbs):flabber:

with labral repair.... :flabber:
Hate to ask you what kind of reps!
From my last visit with my surgeon in January, I’m guessing my flare up is from a nasty case of hip flexor tendinopathy.
I think you guess right! And I wouldn't be surprised with the above regimen.
At the moment I’m trying to rest, take Tylenol, use hot packs, and elevate. I’ll see if I get more approved PT visits and if so, decide to do more before seeing my doctor or just let my body continue to rest.
Definitely the right protocol, but I would not schedule any more PT and get the good hip good if you are going for #2.

Lots of tendon terms:
Tendinopathy is a generalized term for chronic tendon problems.
Tendinosis describes the microscopic anatomy of the tendon “scar” tissue, characterized by irregular strands of collagen, abnormal cells, vessels and nerves that form to attempt to repair damaged tendon tissue.
Tenosynovitis is the inflammation of the sheath around the tendon.
Tendinitis is a term for tendon pain based on our historical understanding that inflammation of the tendon caused tendon pain

Almost all are in response to or exacerbated by chronic overuse; when overuse is continued without giving the tendon time to heal and rest, such as with repetitive strain injury.

Just because we can, doesn't mean we should.. I mostly learned this the hard way too.:nah:
I hope some days of rest calms things down and hope your week is sweet.

Hi @Sammy-Am :wave:
I know you are young and PT for strengthening and toning can certainly be helpful but that PT List :flabber: all in one session:flabber: with that kind of weight:
Leg Press (75lbs):flabber:

with labral repair.... :flabber:
Hate to ask you what kind of reps!
From my last visit with my surgeon in January, I’m guessing my flare up is from a nasty case of hip flexor tendinopathy.
I think you guess right! And I wouldn't be surprised with the above regimen.
At the moment I’m trying to rest, take Tylenol, use hot packs, and elevate. I’ll see if I get more approved PT visits and if so, decide to do more before seeing my doctor or just let my body continue to rest.
Definitely the right protocol, but I would not schedule any more PT and get the good hip good if you are going for #2.

Lots of tendon terms:
Tendinopathy is a generalized term for chronic tendon problems.
Tendinosis describes the microscopic anatomy of the tendon “scar” tissue, characterized by irregular strands of collagen, abnormal cells, vessels and nerves that form to attempt to repair damaged tendon tissue.
Tenosynovitis is the inflammation of the sheath around the tendon.
Tendinitis is a term for tendon pain based on our historical understanding that inflammation of the tendon caused tendon pain

Almost all are in response to or exacerbated by chronic overuse; when overuse is continued without giving the tendon time to heal and rest, such as with repetitive strain injury.

Just because we can, doesn't mean we should.. I mostly learned this the hard way too.:nah:
I hope some days of rest calms things down and hope your week is sweet.

Usually the reps are 2 sets of 15 or 3 sets of 10 :upright:

To be honest, a lot of the exercises felt great at first. Challenging, yes, but it was nice to have that “working out in a gym” feeling again.

What I sensed from exercising is that my right hip muscles aren’t activating as much as they should be. My operative hip takes the grunt of all of my day-to-day activities.

I think I’m going to hold off on any PT for the time being, and maybe just focus on some core stability exercises for home. If I feel up to it, I might even pop into the occasional yoga class before my next surgery. I know tendon issues can be a pain to rehab, so we’ll see what my body responds to and what it doesn’t. Thanks for the added clarification by the way :) :-) (:.

She’s a Rat Terrier! 14lbs of all love and energy LOL.
Awww I love rat terriers! :roseshwr: Great little dogs. My little one is a toy fox terrier. They’re cousins I believe :) She is an excellent ratter here on the farm. Her record is 15 rats in one day! But she has also been a great rehab buddy/cuddler and I bet your Maggie has been too!

She’s a Rat Terrier! 14lbs of all love and energy LOL.
Awww I love rat terriers! :roseshwr: Great little dogs. My little one is a toy fox terrier. They’re cousins I believe :) She is an excellent ratter here on the farm. Her record is 15 rats in one day! But she has also been a great rehab buddy/cuddler and I bet your Maggie has been too!

AWW! I love that! We had a Jack Russell growing up and were in the market for a second one or a TFT. I didn’t know anything about Ratties before Maggie, but boy they are a hoot!

Maggie isn’t much of a ratter, but she loves catching and snacking on bugs in the summertime :sick:. She loves when Mommy’s home from work, but only likes to cuddle on HER terms! LOL

Hi Friends!

Three more days until I see my surgeon to hopefully make headway on treating my right hip! Yay! :yay:

As far as the left side goes, I was wondering if anyone had any experience with adductor pain. It’s like this constant dull ache in my adductor that can sometimes feel sharp.

I had relief last night after elevating my leg throughout the day and sleeping with a pillow between my knees (that was HEAVEN!). However at work today, I made the mistake of showing a patient hip abduction and now my hip is flared again :boohoo:. Does anyone know what this could be?

I know I’ll get answers on Friday. Usually I just have some pain walking (usually taking longer strides) and standing in one place too long. I did also notice that the front of my hip goes on a non-painful popping spree when I wake up. I’m still off of PT until I can hopefully get this cleared up. Just a few more days.

Sam

Last edited:
Hi @Sammy-Am , I absolutely had that abductor pain, probably for two months. Keeping a pillow at hand and icing was the best solution I found. It seemed to clear up on its own as I began to walk more. Good luck!

Hi All,

I had my appointment with my surgeon early this morning. He was happy with the progress that I’m making on the left side and that my pain is substantially better than before surgery. He seems to think the residual pain and tightness on my left side (around the ASIS and a little groin irritation) is from the iliopsoas. Since I’m just over 7 months out, we’re going to watch everything and see if the tightness diminishes over time.

As far as the right hip goes, we scheduled the arthroscopy for March 24th :happydance:. It’s been well behaved lately, but I’m really hoping that fixing the tear and impingement will bring both of my hips back into balance. For now though, I’m going to take a really long nap and enjoy this rainy day:sleeep:.

Best,
Sam

Best Wishes for surgery tomorrow, Sam!
Will look forward to hearing from you soon. :)
@Sammy-Am

Best Wishes for surgery tomorrow, Sam!
Will look forward to hearing from you soon. :)
@Sammy-Am

Hi Friends!

Once again, I’ve lost track of time and haven’t posted in a while. Whoops.

As I mentioned in my last post, tomorrow was supposed to be my surgery day, but it pains me to say that I had to cancel my surgery earlier this month :boohoo:. Things have been chaotic in my world. My Mom passed away at the end of February after a long and hard battle with cancer and everything after that has been a whirlwind. I’m moving apartments in a couple of weeks and taking a new full-time position in my company where I can get better pay and benefits, and not to mention unlimited PT with no copays:dancy:.

I just saw my surgeon this morning to talk everything through. Sadly my right hip is gradually getting worse and in the past few weeks, I’ve noticed that I’ve developed a nice limp on that side. The pain is okay. Some days it’s bearable and other days, not so much.

The game plan at the moment is to do the surgery in June or July. When my new insurance kicks in I’ll start another round of PT and in the meantime, my doctor prescribed an anti-inflammatory to hopefully reduce some of my symptoms. I follow up with him again in the beginning of May and hopefully I can FINALLY get my real surgery date :angel:.

I am so sorry to read the news about your mom. :console2:
No need to apologize for not updating you've had a lot going on. I am also sorry you're dealing with physical pain in addition to everything else and I wish you comfort both physically and emotionally as you grieve your loss.
Hugs
@Sammy-Am

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker