THR 4 months on and damage to soft tissue^

PhilippaC

Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
THR 22nd August '17.
In general I have lots of the side effects of drugs. I prefer natural medicines if possible but obviously for surgery this is not an option. I had a strong reaction to Tramadol and was then put on dihydrocodeine. I was very nauseous and retching on an empty stomach through the day after the op and in the remaining days at hospital. Almost nothing would stay down.

I was then given anti nausea pills to dissolve under my upper lip ...the taste of these made me more nauseous..this and the dihydrocdeine.

A couple of days after being home I felt just as grim. I stopped the heavy painkillers and went on to just a few paracetamol throughout the day. At this point I had very little pain amazingly but still felt very rough indeed. I called my GP who said stop the paracetamol as well if you don't need it.

I called my acupuncturist to see if she would do a home visit. She is a wise Chinese doctor of 75 who looks and moves like someone of about 50!! She gave me a session and some Chinese herbal patches on my tummy. I slept for a bit after she left and woke up with the nausea almost gone! She herself is married to a retired surgeon so she knows how the drugs can 'poison 'a body. She also told me to eat vegetable broth, small amount of fat free chicken if I felt like it, wholemeal toast and stewed apples and lots of water... and only that, which I did for several days. She said no cold drinks or food and no raw foods.

It has worked like magic... 5 days later I still can have an occasional slight feeling of nausea but that's all and I've got a lot of my energy back. My THR is doing well.

This worked for me as I know my acupuncturist well. My GP also recommended the homeopathic remedy Nux Vom 30 to take every hour or so as needed and it seems to be helping too.

Last edited:
PhillippaC,
Welcome to BoneSmart, glad you joined us.
Sorry to hear how nauseous you were after the general. Most respond well to the anti-nausea medications. Glad you found something that worked for you.

Please post your surgery date, a moderator will add it to your signature for you. Having the exact date will help us better advise you, Thanks!

Here are the recovery guidelines, the articles are short and will not take long to read.

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

Pain management and the pain chart

Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it

Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Welcome to BoneSmart. We are all individual in our recovery. Glad you found something that works for you. I look forward to following your recovery journey.

@PhilippaC ,
How are you getting along? Hope your nausea is better.
How can I find my threads and posts?

Some additional information about posting.

Please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here. If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we'll get it changed for you.
If you need an urgent response to a question, just tag a member of staff.
How to tag another member; how to answer when someone tags you

Here are the instructions on finding your thread, How can I find my threads and posts? . Many members bookmark their thread, so they can find it when they log on.

Hi @PhilippaC , what a mess that was-- I am so glad you have your Chinese herbalist expert right there for you, and that what she did worked for you. I hope things are still under control, so you can get to the fun job of being very very patient for your recovery! How are you, how is your hip?

Thanks for your reply Zauberflote.
I'm 2 weeks today after surgery. Walking around the house with no crutches or sticks with minimal pain which seems miraculous! But I just can't sleep on my back!! Nights have become so difficult ,dozing for the odd hour here and there and then exhausted during the day.
I just read a post about it here and that helped a lot. Seems I'll be somewhat nocturnal for a while! Not fun!

yep! Sleep in a chair, sleep wherever.... Somebody here was taught a safe way to sleep on their side, but, oh-so-helpfully, I don't remember who it was....

The sleep does get better after a time. I don't have to sleep on my back (anterior approach), but my op side won't let me sleep on it. In addition, I am still having almost as many bad sleep nights as good ones, nearly at end of my seventh week out! Ugh. This too shall pass, right?

How wonderful and encouraging this has all worked for you @PhillipaC
It sounds as though you're doing well! I guess there are different roads to recovery all dependent upon
what works for us individually. I prefer natural remedies myself and your results thus far are interesting.
I wish you continued healing on your recovery journey!

I hope things are going well for you Layla and Zauberflote.
I'm now into week 4. I had minimal nausea after the acupuncture and read here about someone who got relief from the acupressure wrist bands and they did take the final nausea away. I can now walk around the block to my local grocery shop with minimal support from the crutches, for about 15 minutes. My legs feel heavy though. A small amount of independence regained but I can't carry very much. I'm at the place where I don't feel so ill any more but don't feel totally well either. I get tired easily and sometimes a bit weary. I miss not being able to get in my car and go... patience for another 2 weeks required! I stopped all painkillers after week two and haven't needed any. There is a slight dull pain in the hip but it's manageable. I got a layer of soft spongy memory foam on top of my firm mattress which has made sleeping on my operated side possible..what a relief.. I just couldn't sleep on my back. I have a pillow between my legs and another tucked in my back / thigh to keep me in the most comfortable position. The hospital said it was ok to do this 'if you absolutely have to' but NEVER to sleep on the non operated side. The lack of sleep was too distressing! I'm still injecting Fragmin at night and wearing the TED socks during the day. I've been very fortunate that someone has always been available to put them on for me in the mornings. I find spreading the help around works well so no one person feels burdened. My timings have changed. I now get up at about 6 am and go to sleep at about 10 pm. I used to be a midnight / 8am person. Im up in the night a couple of times with the occasional tea and toast around 3 am. Of course my mind occasionally wanders into unhelpful thoughts like.. will I walk properly ever? Will I regain my energy levels etc etc..i have to keep these unhelpful thought in check!! too much time on my hands, fed up with watching programmes,dvds etc and I don't seem to be able to settle to reading or painting ( I'm an artist) .Meditation helps but I am finding it hard to settle to that too. Living one day at a time and remembering/ believing it's temporary help.
I'd love to hear how others are getting on and how their days are going? What helps and what doesn't etc.

Last edited:
hi @PhilippaC your update sounds very good actually! All of your 3:00am questions are addressed now by telling yourself it's very early days yet-- you are only 3 weeks out! Your body is spending all its energy on healing you from very major trauma, and as the healing begins to complete, you will find the energy that you'e looking for now. You'll walk properly again! My plan at three weeks was to not walk very far, several times a day. 15 minutes would have been too much for me, especially wrangling crutches (argghh how do crutches hippies DO it!). It's possible that the heaviness your legs feel after walking is simply fatigue, even exhaustion. I might see what happened if I walked shorter distances at one time. And it's possible that you don't want to carry very much, in order to aid that new stem in its healing. I still have a limit for myself of about 12 lbs, in my 8th week. I can carry more but I'd rather not just yet.

Could be that your "general malaise" feelings are from holding at bay that "slight dull pain", because if it's always there, you are spending energy "managing" it. I know that I feel badly when my normal aches and pains are acting up! But again also, see above about major trauma. We do not bounce back as we would if we were 20 years old!

I had the "can't settle to anything" with my first hip, except I had collected a 6" tall pile of short-form science fiction magazines, which take no brains. I couldn't practise my flute successfully with the first hip for way too many weeks. This hip is different, in a good way, thank goodness.

My cure-all for boredom has been to come on here and visit around, check on everyone's thread, talk to them there, check on the pre-op thread for people I might have an answer to their questions (don't call me on the grammar there!), write in my "hip journal", and call my (almost 90!) mom...

There is a trick for "calling" somebody to see what you're addressing to them-- we call it "tagging", and it works like this: put the "@" sign and NO SPACE, then type the first few letters of their name, and wait about 2 seconds-- a little list will pop up on the screen of possible names that you might mean. Select the one you want, click or hit enter, and that person will get a notification that you "mentioned" them in a specific place. I will do one for you, as you also addressed your post to Layla-- so we go, @Layla and she will come!

Keep on keepin' on, every day a little better. :)

LOL I forgot to say how my days are going! I am doing pretty much normal activities in the housework/shopping/etc department, so very busy. Have gone back to work, which for me means playing my flute wherever and whenever I get hired to do so. I walk every day, although sometimes it's a long grocery shop rather than a nice outdoors walk. The most I walk at once is .85 miles, but in a day I've done as much as 1.5 miles! We had a week of really nice fall weather, and I could walk any time of day I liked. But it's gone back to sticky and warm (but not hot) so I have to get out early morning and/or well after dark. I have traveled by plane at 4 weeks for a family occasion, and that was not nearly as bad as I'd thought it would be, although going through security with a sopping wet pocket from the ice bag I'd had in it was a little interesting-- the moisture alarmed the scanner! I travel again in a few days, for a micro-reunion of a university class, and then turn around and go on a real vacation for 11 days!!!! And then I turn around and go to my mom's far away for a little birthday gathering. All this while finding and renting an apartment for our son who'd not yet left home, and helping him become acclimated to being alone (but with All His Own Appliances!!). I drive too much. The driving is ok, it's the getting in and out that my hip dislikes. For this hip I never really lost energy-- what a relief from the first one! I am finally getting over the urinary urgency I had for nearly two months-- no idea where that came from! I still don't sleep as well as I'd like all the time, but this too shall pass. I can't sleep on the op hip-- tried it twice last week and it paid me back so I'll wait a little longer... I am having a much faster recovery than I had last time, and I am so very thankful for that!!!

Last edited:
Thanks Zauberflote,
What you wrote was reassuring. And you are so busy...amazing! You sound like an old hand at this process and I'm glad the second one seems to be easier for you...and all this travelling sounds fantastic. I'm looking forward to travelling again . My hip was so painful I gave up about 9 months before the op.
From what you wrote it sounds like I am maybe doing too much and the shorter walks more often sounds better.
Thanks for taking the time to reply. Hope you have a fun time with all your activities.

I'm now at the start of week 6 post THR. I was mostly pain free pretty quickly and walking around the house well without crutches etc at 4 weeks but going for a walk outside is difficult. My legs feel like I have lead weights in them... like I'm walking through treacle! There is some pain on the lower shin of the operated leg and a deep low level pain in the hip but actually my other unoperated leg is worse!

There is pain in the hip (oh no!) but mostly pain in the thigh. It stops me doing the exercises to strengthen the legs and also stops me going very far. I'm not limping. I'm concerned that I'm going to be left with this pain and not get walking as I had hoped. Does anyone else have this?

@PhilippaC You may notice I moved your post from another members thread back to your own recovery thread. It's best to post your news, updates and questions on this thread so that we have a history and can advise you.

What exercises are you doing. The only exercise you need to do to strengthen your legs is walking. Doing exercises and walking (especially without any walking aides) only results in what you are experiencing - aching and sore muscles.

You are only 6 weeks out of major surgery. Give your body time to heal. Slow and steady.

@PhilippaC lead legs sound like tired legs-- when I feel like that I slow way down and do less. If you didn't do much in the way of exercise for months before surgery that could be a reason for tiredness/weakness. You are only 5 weeks out, and that is Very Early Days Yet! Don't let yourself lose sight of the ultimate prize of a strong happy hip, which comes with listening to your body and taking it easy on that hip. Do you think you might be undermedicating the pain? I am almost 10 weeks out, and I still take significant amounts of both tylenol and advil, or I get nagging aches that drag me down. I read of people here who go off all drugs at 2 weeks, and wish my body were made like that!

I had shin splints once from landing too hard on that leg repeatedly in a dance class. That was shin pain. Currently I have right shin pain which is connected to trigger points all up and down my shin-- so that's muscular. It's chronic, and is all part of my S-I joint and piriformis problems on the right side. Very irritating! I am a veritable walking weather predicting machine!

Also, I'll bet that like all of us, you've been compensating for the bad hip for longer than you wanted to, throwing the good leg out of whack in the process-- hence pain on use now that you are more active. As our activity level goes up, we tend to find out just what that "good" leg thinks of all this. Slow and steady will help teach the good leg that it doesn't have to work so hard any more. Also, your "oh no!" sounds like you suspect OA in that hip-- I know that feeling well, and have just fixed it permanently!!

I'm going to tag @Josephine , our forum nurse advisor, who will probably want to ask you a few questions about what's going on. You've probably seen these questions on other people's threads? Anyway, Jo will give you much more professional input than I can!

It stops me doing the exercises to strengthen the legs and also stops me going very far.
Oh yes?!

I'd really like to offer you some structured advice but in order to do that, I also need to ask you some questions. Are you willing for me to do that?

Hi Josephine,
Thanks so much for taking the time...yes I'm happy to answer some questions .

Thanks Jaycey and Zauberflote for your replies. Very helpful.. yes im probably expecting too much. I'll slow down and take it a bit more easily.
The NHS hospital here give you muscle strengthening exercises to do before and after surgery but no physio is offered , if it's seen to be necessary, until you have had a hospital follow up appointment at 3 months.
Thanks Jaycey for moving my post...still not great at tech stuff!

I am sorry you are having pain. Those bands didn't help my muscle soreness and I had buttock pain after using them too. The PT has been trained to know how to strengthen muscles but our muscles are still healing. Don't need to be aggravated.
Don't think you did anything permanent...but should really just move them not work them, I think.
Hopefully this will dissipate soon.
I hyper extended my leg and did too much squatting the other day and have had some issues that concerned me too. I'm at 6 mos but apparently still need to take it easier. Hope you feel better soon

Be careful with physio! My operated hip was absolutely fine and mostly pain free after 2 weeks .it didn't need physio. It's now week 8 and walking has been good on the operated side but I have thigh pain on the other unoperated hip which was getting very painful and restricting my walking. Went to physio who gave me exercises for this leg. It involved pulling the leg out to the side and back with a band around both ankles. I did this for a few days and now the muscles on the thigh and buttock on operated hip are really hurting..stinging pain, hot and with deep throbbing and keeping me awake at night. I'm very upset . The physio knew I was only 8 weeks after my op and I can see these were the wrong exercises. So I'm now back to worse than how it was just post op!! I'm using ice packs and ibuprofen and worried that there is deeper damage done. Any advice?

You posted the above in another thread earlier today. I read it and wanted to find your own thread to see if you had been given any advice from administrators. I see you mentioned pains earlier on and @Josephine responded and wanted to ask you questions. Although you consented to answer them, she apparently missed your response. I know she herself was under the weather for a while so I'm sure that is the reason. Anyhow, I have tagged her here for you as I know she can offer you some advice and help. I agree with @Mojo333 that you just need to move around but you don't need those exercises. I'm sure that is what is making you hurt so much. Just hang in there, rest, ice and elevate and you'll do just fine. Sending positive thoughts your way... :flwrysmile:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Gsd33
Recent bookmarks