Lounge Doctor

Bilateral TKR 4 days post op! Bilateral TKR

1359Arc

Country
United States United States
Hello All….I just wanted to drop by and let you all know how my adventure is going so far….. I had my bilateral total knee surgery in August 26th….right after surgery they were asking me to lift my legs which I did…lol. I’m guessing I was able to do it for because of the nerve blocks …I felt really good…. The first night I really only took Tylenol as far as pain meds but the next night I added in a oxy 5 and that is pretty much what I have stuck with every 4 hours.. I opted to stay an extra night in the hospital because my BP would drop a little low and I would get a little dizzy when I would try to walk. The next day (Saturday) was much better and I was able to leave. I Slept in my own bed Saturday night but because the bed is so soft it kept sinking, and I was really having a time getting out of it to hold myself up to get to the walker, (even with help it was quite difficult). So I opted to move to the power recliner which is where I stayed Sunday night and will do tonight as well. Overall my process has not been too horrible so far. Managed to get a shower with help today and I can get up from the recliner on my own and walk around some. The legs once in a while may feel a little wobble but honestly I think it was because I would get going a little faster than I probably should have. My ice machines have been a Godsend. I highly recommend them!! Tomorrow at 10 am will be my first formal post surgery PT . I am interested in how that will go as I don’t want to regress with my pain too much. But I guess we will see !!! Well, that’s my story for now…..

Attachments

Jockette

Country
You are doing well!

I will leave you our Recovery Guidelines. Each article is short but very informative. Following these guidelines will help you have a less painful recovery.

Just keep in mind all people are different, as are the approaches to this recovery and rehab. The key is, “Find what works for you.“ Your doctors, PTs and BoneSmart are available to help, but you are the final judge as to the recovery approach you choose.

Knee Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

6. Access to these pages on the website

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling
Heel slides and how to do them properly
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in the majority of BoneSmart’s forums, we ask that each member have only One Recovery Thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review the member’s history before providing advice, so please post any updates or questions you have right here in this thread.

patriciad

Country
Wow a Bilateral TKR and so far so good. Good luck with PT. My in home therapist was wonderful and really helped get me on my feet. It was a very positive experience. My ice machine was going non stop for the first 3 weeks and I still use it now when I have my daily ice and elevate session. I am on my 2nd knee replacement with a 6 year gap between the right and left knees. I cannot imagine coping with having both done at the same time. Keep up the good work and I look forward to hearing more as you post your progress.

Taoquest

Country
@1359Arc, the first week was a blur to me- Oxys, nonstop elevation, and both ice machines purring nonstop. The journey has had ups and downs, but now at almost 12 weeks, I am so glad I did both at once. Things continue to move slowly, but always in the right direction. I knew little about what to expect, and this site has been a godsend. You’re in good company and we’re here for you.

valli

Country
Canada Canada
Hello 1359 Arc.
Thought I would drop a note and say hello, as I don't see too many bi-laterals and wanted to cheer you on.
I had both knees done 17 days ago and have had no complications. I am 81 year old female. The pain was severe initially but I had Hydromorphone to help and now just take Tylenol #2.
The hardest thing for me was getting up to standing position from the recliner as my upper body strength is poor. At day 17 it is much easier, but the challenge is psychological as I still think it is going to be agonizing, but it isn't! A cheerful voice in my head always says. "Now, that wasn't really so bad, was it?"
I can walk quite confidently with the walker and am using it mostly for balance. Not doing any PT yet except flexion and ROM. The PT who visited said that both were quite good already, so will investigate more when I have healed more. Hope all goes smoothly for you too. Cheers, Valli.

jessicarogers36

Country
Wow hats off to you. I had only my right done and it's been a really hard journey I couldn't imagine both at the same time. Your one tough person!! I wish you a speedy recovery.

DJL1967

Country
Canada Canada
Awesome, sounds like you are doing well right outta the gate. I'm 3 weeks out from my bilateral TKR.
Good luck with the rest of your recovery.

patriciad

Country
@valli - Good morning!
Just read your inspiring post and am in awe. I love your positive attitude and I am definitely going to try to be more like you with the “now that wasn’t too bad” mind set.
Hope your progress continues well!

christopher_car

Country
This has been really helpful. I'm scheduled for bilateral TKR January 4th..... I'm nervous but these post are helping.

OP
OP

1359Arc

Country
First thing … you can do it !!! Don’t ever for a minute think otherwise. The pain was a lot more manageable than some would have you believe. You just need to stay with your meds and keep ahead of the pain. My ice machines have been a life line. I use them now only when I have stiffness and swelling when I over do things. I am just at week 8 and will be going back to work mid November. Not looking forward to that at all because my work is a lot of walking and can be very physical. But I am hoping I can do a phased return. The whole recovery is truly a slow process and that is what is probably the most frustrating for me. I want to do more than I am able but the knees will definitely tell you if you overdo it. I am happy with my progress so far and each day brings something different and a little less discomfort.

New

OneStep App

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
irving95
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom