Revision THR 3rd time - doing well!

RobertHip1

Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Surgery over. To recap ceramic ball smashed why is still a mystery although I believe subluxation had had a role in this. Stem went through plastic liner and was scraping against the metal cup and producing lots of metal particles. Surgeon is pleased with operation. I believe that the whole thing was replaced stem ball liners etc. Lots of cleaning out and tissue with metal particles removed. Pain levels near zero at the present time. Been in bed for whole day but about to take my first steps.

Yikes!!! What horrible pain that must have been! Good to hear you are pain free now. You know what to expect in recovery, being an old pro. But you'll have lots of support here. Good luck! :thumb:

Welcome to the other side (again). Glad the surgery went well. You know the drill. I look forward to following your journey.

Here is your reading list in case you need a reminder.
Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of this BoneSmart philosophy for sensible post op therapy
5. Here is a week-by-week guide for Activity progression for THRs
6. Access these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it

Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

:wave:Glad to see you on the healing side.
Lots of healing vibes coming your way for "once and for all" getting better.:tada:

Thank you all. I'm coming off meds and pain etc on its way. So far so good.

@RobertHip1 Why are you coming off your medication so early? Or are they just switching to oral versus an IV?

Hi jacey, coming off the hard stuff and on to aspirin and paracetamol. If the pain gets bad I can change back to the opioids. Never had IV - feel okay so far.

Hello and Happy Sunday @RobertHip1
Wondering how you're doing twelve days out?
I hope your pain is well managed and you're able to rest comfortably. Please leave us an update.
We're here and we care.
A great week to you!

Hi Layla, good and bad. Good is that I'm in little or no pain since day 2. Hip feels stable the first operation never felt stable. Unfortunately my wound is bleeding daily. It's old blood probably coming from a hematoma a bit deeper down. Current strategy is to hope it drains naturally before any infection. If it doesn't it's back to the operating theatre and re opening the whole thing and removing the hematoma !!!

Yay! :happydance:
Wonderful news! Thanks for the update. May it only get better from here on out.
Stay in touch and enjoy the weekend!
@RobertHip1

:wave:So glad to see things are improving.:ok:
Healing vibes coming your way:yes:

Hi @RobertHip1
How are things with you as you approach one month postop?
Hope all is going well and you are getting about easier.
Continued good wishes for healing

Hi Mojo33,thanks for asking. I'm on antibiotics after swab show's bacteria on the wound. This is mostly a precaution - hopefully it was just a skin bacteria! Otherwise much faster recovery from this revision than from previous hip replacements. I suppose this is because my leg bone was not sawn off this time so less trauma. Stopped using a stick after three weeks. In the gym doing sensible excercises. The feeling of stability is sooooo much better

Great to hear hip seems stable and you are doing well.
:fingersx: for this hiccup to resolve quickly.

Well done, Robert.:) :-) (:

Happy One Month Anniversary!
Sorry to read about bacteria on the wound. Hopefully the antibiotic does the trick.
It's good to hear you're recovery is moving along well. Please stay in touch and share a report on your progress on occasion.
Wishing you a wonderful weekend!
@RobertHip1

Hi @RobertHip1
Wondering how you're doing? Hopefully you got the all clear after using the antibiotic on your incision. With any luck all is well and you're making steady progress.
Stopping by to wish you a Happy Two Month Anniversary!
I hope you have a great week. :)

Yes @RobertHip1
I do hope all is well with you.
Happy 2 month hipversary!:tada:

Thank you both very much. All seems to be mending but my six week post surgery checkup time has passed and no word from the hospital. I have called about 10times but keep getting passed around! Yesterday an orthopedic secretary said she would contact the surgeon so hopefully I will get the six week check soon. Thank you for asking and thanks for having such a great site!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back