Revision THR 3rd time!

RobertHip1

Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Just discovered my one year old replacement hip is and has been broken for some time. Both hips have been replaced. First one is perfect, second one never felt right from day one. The ball is smashed, ceramic broken and the stem is held by the plastic cup. Tricky facing up to this for the third time in two years.

oh no.. You must have had a year of agony.. When is your date for painfree ness?

:wave: @RobertHip1
I'm so so sorry this is an ongoing struggle...I can only imagine how anxious this makes you.
Your signature reflects Right THR June 16, 2017
I'm guessing it is the left one that is misbehaving?
When did you have this surgery and did your OS...is he the one repairing this?...have any insight on how this happened?

I am truly sorry for the struggles you still have.
Please let us know when your upcoming revision is expected.:friends:

“Tricky facing up to this for the third time in two years.”

I can only imagine - and when I do, I really don’t want to imagine it at all. I am so sorry you have met with this disappointment - it’s rather a cruel one - and of course, you must have hoped for a very different outcome.

Still, this isn’t your final outcome. You have more chapters to write before you find out “how it all turns out in the end.” And even though it seems you won’t get the timing of the outcome you hoped for, it’s far too soon to say you won’t get that happy ending - that’s still very much within your grasp.

The news today may well seem like a giant step backwards. It’s also happens to be the springboard you need to make a big jump forward. Until you correctly understand the obstacle you’re facing, you’re really blind, and can’t move forward a bit. Now you have good information that lets you move forward, and you are back on your way towards your ultimate goal.

Wishing you a quick trip through this detour, and a heaping dose of resilience to give you a lift over these admittedly unwelcome circumstances.

Thank you very much! I agree with everything you said but its very comforting to hear it from you. I will find out today about the timing of the next step.

Thank you mojo333.

Not sure about the dates on my profile but my first hip replacement was my left leg and it is strong pain free and I have confidence in it. The second was my right hip which remarkably has been more or less pain free but lots of vibration. Searching the Internet I put the vibration down to soft tissue tendons scraping against bone. Bit of a surprise yesterday to find that the whole ball had collapsed.

The stem is in direct contact with the cup. Last week I played tennis twice and moved 1.5 ton of stones in a wheel barrow with little discomfort. From the day of surgery it didn't feel right. The first thing i noticed was a wobble like I was standing/sliding on ice and I looked down at my foot which was obviously not moving at all. This weird sensation was with me for months.

Next memorable event was a trip to the physio where he told me to do leg raises, side on. I did this for a couple of days then heard and felt very severe vibration and noises from the hip.

I'm just talking out loud to try and make sense of how a very strong piece of metal, ceramic and plastic could be smashed without a major trauma. Whilst writing this my surgeon just called to say a revision operation will take place within 4 weeks by another surgeon. Neither he nor his colleague have seen anything like it in 30 years!

Well its good to be special and I'm grateful not to be in pain. Great forum. Thanks for the opportunity to talk.

Im just talking out loud to try and make sense of how a very strong peice of metal ceramic and platic could be smashed without a major trauma.
I would certainly be flummoxed how that happens too.

I'm glad you have a date very soon and I'm also happy you are not in pain...do baby it until then.

When you get an opportunity, could you give the dates of your two original replacements and your upcoming revision.
We will be rooting for your successful surgery and quick recovery.:friends:

make sense of how a very strong piece of metal, ceramic and plastic could be smashed without a major trauma.
The ceramic would have been the week spot. There was a time when they used to cause no end of problems by inexplicably collapsing. I so sorry it happened to you.

I suggest, when you get the opportunity, that you get the surgeon to tell you what the date of manufacture your ceramic part had. If it was an old one, you might have a case for compensation.

@RobertHip1 my gosh. what a turn of events and glad to hear it isn't necessarily painful.
Of course it's not what you had expected or planned on but you will just buckle down and get this taken care of, right? So, within 4 weeks you will start the healing process for hopefully the last time.
I am so sorry for the news that you are trying to absorb. :console2:

Thanks all. Revision will be done in 10 days! Mojo33 asked my original operation dates. They were 16 june 2017 left hip successful and 22 june 2018 right hip apparently not successful ! Any advice on the revision operation?

:wave:
So right hip revision will be on July 30th?
You will be added to the July Sparklers preop group.
I don't have any first hand knowledge, I know we have members who have very good recoveries, albeit like you...I'm sure were not happy about things not going as planned.
You can click on the revision prefix banner and it will show members.

I'm sorry you have to go through this again.
A new strong hip to match lefty...so you can get on with your life and get happy and healthy again.:tada:

What an unfortunate experience you're dealing with. I'm so sorry.
It sounds like there is a plan in place and you won't have to wait too much longer now.
We'll be here to follow your journey offering support and encouragement as you heal.
Can't wait for you to get your life back on track.
@RobertHip1

Wishing you all the best! So glad you don’t have long to wait - and that the broken implant isn’t causing pain. You’re one week ahead of me and I will be rooting for you all the way!

Has anyone had subluxation and if so can you tell me was your cup fixed in place with screw's? Also what did subluxation feel like?

Hello again @RobertHip1
Let's tag @Josephine to comment on subluxation.
Possibly others with stop by with some feedback also.
I hope you're having a good day. :wave:

Hi Josephine, thanks for the info. The ceramic head being weak would make sense. If I have had subluxation from day one then the ball partially out of the socket would be either cutting into the rim of the cup or at least have a much smaller contact area with the cup. That would put much much more stress of the ceramic perhaps more than the ceramic was designed for. I'm a physicist -cant help thinking!

So glad you have a quick revision date. What an unexpected thing to deal with so soon after replacement. Very sorry that you have to go through this again. Wishing you the best with the revision.

You got that right, Robert.

A subluxation is like half a dislocation. Like this

dislocation-subluxation.jpg

Sometimes, if the patient is lucky, the hip will slip back into the cup but that can never happen with a full dislocation.

As for the screw, those are usually required by the design of the implant. Rarely will they be used to correct an issue of this kind.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks
Back