• REGISTER for Joint Replacement Awareness Day on May 9th, 2020!

Surgeons, patients, and other medical professionals will talk about topics you've told are important to you. You can ask questions LIVE of the participants. Please "like" and "share" our JRAD notice on your Facebook page too!

Register and learn more in this announcement:

Watch 2019 JRAD Videos

Revision TKR 3rd Knee Replacement - Am I Bionic yet?

sarahd62

Country
United States United States
Hi All, well I hate to still be here but I just underwent my 3rd knee replacement. The right was done TKR in 2010 and no problem still going strong. The left was first done in Oct 2018, some whiz of a Dr decided a partial would work and it failed miserably within a few months. On November 19, 2019 I underwent a revision to a full replacement.
7 weeks into recovery and struggling with stiffness , straightening and pain. Would love to connect with other people to form a support group.

OP
OP
sarahd62

sarahd62

Country
Help! 7 weeks into my third knee replacement (2 in 13 months) and need companions and support. Anyone out there in a similar boat?

Helizabug

graduate
Country
Someone wiser than I will stop by soon with lots of good information and support, but I’m here to tell you that you came to the right place. BoneSmart will be very helpful in understanding what can be understood about what’s going on in your new knee.

I am a few weeks behind you. This is my first knee replacement, and, for the most part, it seems to be doing well. My ROM is coming back more slowly than most, so that is aggravating. And yesterday, out of sheer frustration, I went to the gym and overdid it massively.

I know what to do, though. As I learned here, I’m resting more, icing, and elevating.

Good luck and stick with us!

keith55

Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
I'm not really in the same boat. My 2013 left TKR is playing up with weight bearing pain and warmth. I'll be seeing the doctor to arrange an X-ray to check for loosening or is this just short term trauma?

As was said one of the team will respond on this thread soon. In the meantime the forum library has much useful information worth reading and re-reading e.g. at https://bonesmart.org/forum/view/post-surgery-information-knees.44/

sistersinhim

Country
You will notice that I have merged your two threads together as we prefer that members in recovery only have one thread.

This is for three reasons:
1. if you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts others have left you in the old threads
2. it often ends up that information is unnecessarily repeated
3. it's best if we can keep all your recovery story in one place so it's easily accessed if we need to advise you.

sistersinhim

Country
7 weeks into my third knee replacement (2 in 13 months) and need companions and support.
Welcome to the recovery side! You will find others that have had surgery around the same time as you here:
1579015049198.png

The following are our basic guidelines and should help get you started. As you read more on other members recovery threads, you’ll get a better perspective of what to expect and what not to do, especially regarding PT.

Knee Recovery: The Guidelines

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now; they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
5. Here is a week-by-week guide for Activity progression for TKRs

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling
Heel slides and how to do them properly
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Tykey

big-cheese
Hi Sarah, I'm a bit ahead of you (about 18 weeks since my second TKR). But I still remember the issues and challenges. You probably remember how it went with your first.
Had you forgotten that stiffness, straightening problems are par for the course.?
It'll all come right, if you do things on the Bonesmart way.
Not that it will be important, how's the bend going ,(,ROM)?

We are ALL your support group! Chat away!

Macknit

senior
Country
I'm just 2 days ahead of Tykey and ditto his comment that we are ALL here to support you. You can whine, sing praises, cry, and question... Wal- la someone is wonderfully available to help!

Blessings on your recovery! Read through any of the other ones for a way to gauge how you're doing...and try really hard not to compare your recovery to others! We all do naturally!

Blessings!

marieltha

graduate
Country
The left was first done in Oct 2018, some whiz of a Dr decided a partial would work and it failed miserably within a few months.
Hi, sorry you have had to endure repeated surgeries.
May I ask what you experienced with your failed PKR? Did the implant fail? Or did arthritis in the rest of the knee accelerate?
Thanks. I ask because I have 2 lateral (outside) partials and as I describe in my thread (PKR Ligament Sprain in the Good Leg), have ongoing issues with the first leg/knee.
Thanks again.

mtmtoronto

Country
Canada Canada
I've had 2 TKRs over the last 6 months (right knee in July and left knee in November). I can completely empathize with being in a constant state of recovery. Based on my 2 experiences, a) each knee heals at its own pace and b) it gets better!

I'm at the 10 week timeline for the left knee and the pain and stiffness has markedly improved.; it took about 12 weeks for my right knee to reach the same level of comfort and strength. I try and do a little more activity each day. Going down stairs is the biggest challenge. Also - I keep reminding myself that I've been through 2 major surgeries in a relatively short time period, so I'll need the time to recover and build up my muscles. All in all, I'm glad I took this adventure ride, but it takes work!

You can do this!

sondrals

senior
Country
I had my left done in August and my right done in December. Not anywhere close to being normal and feel like this is going to last forever. This group has been super helpful though.

Helizabug

graduate
Country
Yup, I’m on the long and winding road with you, too.

OP
OP
sarahd62

sarahd62

Country
Hi everyone - thanks for all the support. Question: How do I respond to individuals? There does not seem to be a reply button?

OP
OP
sarahd62

sarahd62

Country
So at my PT appointment I measured at 5degrees/127. I am Walking almost normally and can tolerate short walks. However, first thing in the morning and after sitting I am very very bent and stiff. I am still taking strong painkillers just to get over the hump. I do not remember having these issues before. I remember it getting better and staying better, this time it feels like it is better for just a couple of hours a day then reverts to not bending or straightening and lots of pain. I have to admit I am scared. After a failed surgery and a revision I am worried about another failure.

Helizabug

graduate
Country
Think of this as your story that we’re following.

You can just type your reply in the next empty box in your thread. with context in your post, we should know what you’re commenting on.

If you want to make sure readers know that you’re replying to a particular person’s comment, or several, type the ‘at sign’ which looks like @, and start typing their username, a list of possibilities will drop down and you can choose the one you’re replying to. That’s a tag, as you might know, but I’m trying to be complete.

We’re checking on your thread from time to time, so we see your responses to folks.

I find it works really well.

Helizabug

graduate
Country
Regarding your situation after sleeping or sitting for a while, it seems normal because we stiffen up, we swell, and there’s not a lot of real estate in there to accommodate everything.

Your experiences with the other surgery are probably having physical and emotional effects. Your knee might be recovering more slowly because it was more damaged by the work and failed recovery of the last surgery. And your confidence is probably battered by that experience, too.

Let this recovery tell its own story, follow its own path. And keep telling us about it.

OP
OP
sarahd62

sarahd62

Country
@Helizabug Thank you! I think that you are right in the fact I am emotionally battered by this. I am such a positive person, but the fact the last knee failed has scared me, probably making every small pain more major than it should be. I am only at 9 weeks, they had to also place a 5 inch stabilizing rod into my tibia so probably not surprising I hurt. My other knee was done in 2010 and I recently saw an old post where I was still struggling a little at 12 weeks, so I think I am just impatient. Thanks for the tips and support it means a lot.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Kmcg
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom