BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Knee Replacement & Hip Replacement
Patient Advocacy & Online Community
  1. ATTENTION: Download the new BoneSmart® app today! This FREE app is available for iOS or android phones and tablets and will allow you to connect to the forum on all of your devices. The old Tapatalk app is being discontinued so get the new app now.

Get The app HERE

Dismiss Notice

finger/thumb 3d printed dip joint & cartridge

Discussion in 'Other joint replacements discussion forum' started by Qtmspin, Nov 25, 2017.

1. Qtmspin

Qtmspin new member

United States United States
  2. Celle

Celle FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello @Qtmspin - and :welome:

Your index finger looks painful! Did you have an accident?

I'll ask @Josephine , our forum Nurse Director, to talk to you.

By the way, I've edited your post, so that the web sites you mentioned actually provide links to those sites now.

3. Josephine

Josephine FORUM ADMIN, DIRECTOR Administrator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi Qtmspin and welcome to BoneSmart!

For those who want to know, a DIP joint is the Distal Inter Phalangeal joint which is the end joint. But the middle joint is the PIP joint (Proximal Inter Phalangeal).

I've many years experience in this kind of surgery and I can tell you without reservation that that finger is never going to be suitable for a joint replacement. It's too deformed and the DIP joint has too much damage. You have to bear in mind that the phalangeal bones are minute, about the size of a bone out of the tip of a chicken wing, so working on it to received such an implant would be pretty near impossible. Even a silastic implant would be unlikely to be very successful. So the suggestion of a fusion is by far the best remedy for this situation.

finger silastic-horz.jpg

Plus the sites you have given links to are about hip and knee replacements which are not really the same.