Lounge Doctor

TKR 39 yr old had tkr April 12

Texan39

Country
United States United States
Coming up on 4 weeks, just curious if muscle spasming and trouble getting sleep is normal. This is my 10th knee surgery and is by far the hardest. Also noticed that the knee cap doesn’t catch like it did pre surgery so I know it’s worth it already but dag gum it’s painful.

sistersinhim

Country
Hello @Texan39. Welcome to Bonesmart! Please tell us which knee it was. Also, please tell us the dates of all your previous knee surgeries, what they were, and which knee had each surgery. Knowing these things will help us to be able to advise you better.

Unfortunately, pain and poor sleep are normal after this surgery. I've had 12 knee surgeries and I agree with you, the tkr is the most painful. The recovery also is much longer than any other knee surgery, at least a year for most people.

Each person is different as is their recovery. Most find that the Bonesmart approach works best for them, but others find that a more aggressive therapy helps them more. It's your recovery and your choice on how you recover. As you read more on other members' recovery threads, you’ll get a better perspective of what to expect. The following are our basic guidelines and should help get you started.

Knee Recovery: The Guidelines

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax and let it. Don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now; they are almost certainly only temporary.
2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when the pain starts!)​
3. Do what you want to do BUT...
a. If it hurts, don't do it, and don't allow anyone to hurt you.
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again for a few weeks.
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
5. Here is a week-by-week guide for Activity progression for TKRs

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling
Heel slides and how to do them properly
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Celle

Country
New Zealand New Zealand
Hi @Texan39 and welcome to recovery.

As sistersinhim said, post-op pain and sleep disturbance are common after a knee replacement.

Deal with the pain by taking your medications on a regular schedule. Ice helps a lot with pain control, too.

As for sleep, this is the time to take daytime naps. They make up for the sleep you lose at night. There's an article about poor sleeping in the Recovery Guidelines in the post above.
Sleep where you can, when you can, and how you can.

Sisterpat

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
Yep, Texan, it’s a rough ride! Sleep is a challenge for sure. I have been spending my nights on the recliner since I’m still not comfortable in bed. I catch some sleep that way. Like the moderators have suggested, try to catch naps whenever you can. For most people, it takes a long while to sleep well through the night.
Welcome, and tell us your story.

New

Active Antibacterial

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Piratequeen
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom