THR 30 days and still recovering <

Hi @Marvin L
What about a massage? Wonder if that would help relax your muscles?
You're right about it can always be worse, but that's cold comfort when you're hurting. I hope you find relief soon and you're able to enjoy the weekend!

Last edited:
I went to dr, the muscle in the scapula, shoulder blade is acting up, he prescribed a steroid pack, and went n had a massage. I found a great one, she gave me a Medical massage, she said my shoulder blade sticks out a little. N my operated side the shoulder is taller n I’m twisted a little when standing straight. So I cancelled my PT for next week and will start PT for my shoulder problem, will see if I can combine hip n back at same session. I’m feeling a lot better today. I’m going to work, first day today, I’m in sales, so just walk some n talk. No stress on anything. Emotionally, I’m doing so much better, human nature is to freak out, I thought oh no, now I have this pain, what’s next, but today my attitude is thank God it’s better today, and this to shall pass , just part of my personal healing journey.

Well, over 3 months, what a ride it’s been. Hip is doing well, Thank God, every day is a blessing. Getting my lift fitted tomorrow, hope that helps even things out. Hurt my scapula from sleeping on my side, go figure, treating it w steroid pack n start PT for that next week. Found a great massage lady, she thinks using a cane for over a year affected my shoulder n shoulder blade, she gave me a great medical massage, seeing her again Wed. Anybody on hear had a shoulder blade issue?

Emotionally, I’m doing so much better, human nature is to freak out, I thought oh no, now I have this pain, what’s next, but today my attitude is thank God it’s better today, and this to shall pass , just part of my personal healing journey.

You've come such a long way! I'm so very happy for you.

Sorry to hear about your shoulder blade issue. Hopefully you find speedy relief. But even if it takes some time, you've developed patience, you're being pro-active and you will get through it!
I hope you have a wonderful week!

Thank you Layla, you have been very kind, I appreciate everybody on here and pray for positive outcomes for all of you. My hip is pretty good, just have to figure out my shoulder pain. It’s my shoulder blade and shoulder that are in spasm. Don’t understand why but I know in my heart, it will get better. Have been going to a medical massage lady and going to chiropractor today. Steroid pack didn’t do anything. If anybody has any insight in shoulder issues, please respond. God bless you all.

Well, over 3 months, what a ride it’s been. Hip is doing well, Thank God, every day is a blessing. Getting my lift fitted tomorrow, hope that helps even things out. Hurt my scapula from sleeping on my side, go figure, treating it w steroid pack n start PT for that next week. Found a great massage lady, she thinks using a cane for over a year affected my shoulder n shoulder blade, she gave me a great medical massage, seeing her again Wed. Anybody on hear had a shoulder blade issue?

Hi @Marvin L I'm so happy to read that you've found yourself a good massage therapist. I would suggest that you don't let her start in too deep with her pressure- I think moderate pressure at best , will be the most helpful. If it begins to hurt be sure and give her feedback. It should always be a "good feeling hurt."
Massage therapists, just like a PT, can tend to be a little too hung ho- not always but I want you be aware.

As for the shoulder, it is a common issue, the shoulder 'winging out' can stem from tight muscles which certainly could have been aggravated by the cane. Hopefully she is addressing your neck muscles, also.

This healing stage is a full contact sport, isn't it? I hope she is addressing your ankle and foot, also.
After re-reading this, I am assuming you are scheduling for an hour.. I just listed an awful lot of body parts!

Yes, the massage did help, full hour 2 times a week. Done 4 sessions n a lot better. Was assessed for shoulder PT today. Geez, doing water for hip Thur the 2x per week for shoulder. Hip has been hurting a bit lately, right on the side at hip. What muscle is that? I’m almost 14 weeks out, do other people still have some pain this far out?

Hi @Marvin L - there's a lot going on on the lateral side of the hip.. You have your gluteal muscles inserting there and there's also the iliotibial band joining in. That is if you are meaning the upper side of your hip?
Hopefully you are icing this area after you exercise.
14 weeks isn't that far out, really. I am at 12 weeks and am currently icing away.. it still helps control some of the inflammation that's associated with healing.

Sorry to hear about the shoulder chiming in.

Well, what a long road it’s been. Shoulder is getting better, Thank God! I still have some pain in the hip area n on thigh. Pain moves around. My question is, Will I be having different pains for a while? Or is this the way it is? I mean it’s not that bad but it does still hurt , I’m about 14 weeks out. How are people doing at 4 months n 6 months?

Morning @Marvin L. I'm about 10 weeks out, 2 weeks half days at work. Next week I'll kick it up to 5-6 hrs a day as I'm able. I did do PT for two weeks twice a week. It started out well, however she would have me doing strength exercises that aggrieved the hip and lower back. I went to therapist massage and found that more helpful than PT. There will still be some traveling soreness in the body for a time, that's a given I figure. My lower back was fired up something awful until the therapist massage. I hope you get your shoulder and ankle to settle down soon. No more hip pain is a blessing, sore muscles I can work on. It's all good, even when it's not!

Hello :wave:
You're doing great, Marvin, you really are. I think random pains here and there are normal as everything balances out. First there was the sloppy gait favoring the deteriorating hip that made us sore in other places. After surgery for many there are sore arms, shoulders, wrists and hands from the walker and cane / crutches. Also sleeping in ways that are uncomfortable and not our first choice can make us stiff and achy. In addition, our gait changes once again after surgery. When you contemplate all that went on beneath the surface during surgery it's understandable we'll suffer discomfort for awhile. Thankfully it slowly eases with the passage of time. At less than four months post op you have ample time for improvement and you will continue to see progress.
Have a great weekend!
@Marvin L

Well, it’s about 14 weeks, my shoulder is better. My biggest concern now, is I have about a quarter inch leg discrepancy and I think this is causing my non operated ankle to hurt. Ankle has been bothering me for about 10 weeks. I got a lift, it goes in half of the shoe, I put it in my tennis shoe under the insole. My problem is I used it all day yesterday at work, walked about 5 miles, and my legs hurt n both ankles are hurting. I went to the place my surgeon uses, they have you stand on different size blocks n we ended up with a quarter of a inch, doesn’t sound like much, but it causes some problems. My question is, is there someplace I can go to get a better lift, that goes in the entire shoe or can buy new shoes with the lift built in? Has anybody else experienced this? I just want to get this figured out n move on with my life, without the pain. My thigh hurts, the hip area on the side, ankles, knees n back. Oh God, please I need to figure this out. Any input is greatly appreciated. Oh, by the way I had to stop PT, they were making me hurt more, I hurt less without it. I do go to gym n ride the bike for 15 minutes n do my stretches, and do some pool walking on my own.

I'm sorry, Marvin, you've been doing so well. I hate to see this holding you back. Wondering a couple things -
You mentioned using the lift all day yesterday and walking five miles.
I'm wondering if it's the first day you used the lift? If so, wondering if you overdid it?
If not, how long have you been using this particular lift and in what type of shoe?
When you mention you went to a place your surgeon uses was it a Podiatrist?

I believe stopping PT was the best decision for you if it was causing you discomfort which has improved since you've backed away. I'm happy to hear your shoulder is feeling better also.

If you could answer the questions above, I'll see if Jamie or Jaycey can advise.
Wishing you comfort and a pleasant weekend.
@Marvin L

I'm so sorry @Marvin L. I agree with Layla and am wondering if it was from wearing it all day at work, when my son has an orthotic placed in his shoe, he was instructed to ease into it, like 2 hours for a couple days then add an hour and so on.
You have to feel so frustrated and I empathize with you. Take care.

It’s a half shoe lift n I put it in tennis shoes. I’m thinking maybe I overdid it. The place I went is affiliated with the surgeons office. I think I’m going to a podiatrist next week n do this right. I’m having ankle pain , as well as both legs hurting and low back pain. I’m working today and don’t think I will wear my lift. Try to sit as much as possible. Has anybody experienced a shorter let after surgery?

Morning Marvin. One thing I've learned it's better to see ones that have the knowledge and experience that fits what I need. I'm going into my 12th week and I still have some stiffness in my knee. Mostly in the morning it hurts to put weight on it. The stiffness and pain works itself out after a few minutes. I'm not saying it's gone completely, it gets to just annoying. I deal with the back pain also, mostly at work after a couple hours. I figure it will all get worked out as the healing continues. I did "feel" that my op leg was longer for I don't how long and then it wasn't. There are those that do have a difference in leg length. Take care.

I think I’m going to a podiatrist next week n do this right

Yes, get an accurate measurement if you haven't already. I can't imagine wearing a lift one day and not the next is going to help matters either. I'd do one or the other until an accurate measurement is taken and a diagnosis received. Please stay in touch and let us know what you find out.
Have a nice weekend!

Hey Marvin :wave:
It's that time of month again...Happy Four Month Anniversary!
I hope you continue to do well and had a great week.
Wishing you a lovely weekend! :SUNsmile:
@Marvin L

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks

Latest posts

Back