THR 30 days and still recovering <

I agree with you all, I get conflicting directions from therapist, they think I have to build strength, especially on butt muscles. But I’m still sore, quads, butt, the side by incision and ankle hurt. I have 2 more pool sessions, think I will do them, those I like, and the shut the PT down. My ankle hurts on non operated leg, my operated leg is a little shorter, maybe a quarter of a inch , do you think a lift would help

Also is the leg discrepancy causing my ankle to hurt? I thought it was from my new gait.

Hi Marvin,
It's often advised to wait 3-4 months before doing anything with LLD. At that point speak with your surgeon, or a Podiatrist, to get an exact measurement of the LLD. You may want to wait an additional month as often it's due to atrophied muscles which may strengthen as time progresses. In regard to all...have you purchased new shoes since surgery, or wearing the old? It is advised you replace the shoes you wear most often as your frequently worn pre-op shoes have the old wear pattern which could affect your gait as it changes. I'd ask my surgeon if the perceived LLD could be contributing to the sore ankle.
Have a great day!
@Marvin L

:goodpost: Ditto what Layla said! I would wait regarding a lift as it sounds like your muscles atrophied pre-op. And do get new shoes. You will be surprised how many aches and pains shoes with an old wearing pattern can create.

I love the sounds of your new plan to finish the Pool work and stop the PT.
Good for you!
Staying sore for that long can't be healthy, don't you agree?

Speaking of being in agreement, what Layla just posted above is very good advice. Especially the new shoes vs wearing worn older shoes .. and then again about seeing your OS or Podiatrist about the LLD and sore ankle.

I think you are 3 months post op now? So maybe it's time to analyze the LLD and ease your mind a bit.
Let the professionals tell you if it's time to act on it.

I hope you are enjoying the holiday weekend.. the weather couldn't be more perfect in my neck of the woods.

:walking:Happy Labor Day to you too.
:tada:

Morning @Marvin. Just got caught up on your thread. You're doing good aside the land PT. I'm 8 weeks out and my thigh is tight to my knee. I start PT tomorrow to help loosen the muscles, I don't want strength exercises yet. I go back to work next Mon and that will be enough strength exercise for now. I'm jealous of you all that have pool time. All we have here is the YMCA early morning for "adult" swimming. Leaves us working adults out for pool time. I'd be late getting to work if I did early morning. Anyway, keep on keeping on. Steady controlled pace gets us there.

Yay for new shoes! :yay: Let us know if you're feeling any different after wearing them for a few days.
I hope you're enjoying the holiday!
@Marvin L

I’m still sore, knee hurts today, that’s new, ankle still hurts. I’m mad that I did all those exercises during PT. The worse one was sitting on a chair w rollers n rolling myself w my feet back and forth about 50 feet. My shins hurt after n I think that’s what hurt my knee. I’m thinking why would she have me do that? I’m never going to be rolling around in a chair. I’m going to pool PT today. And once more next week. I’m scheduled for land PT next week and I’m going to have her measure me n see how much I’ve progressed w the range of motion. Have her give me a list of stretches n easy exercises. And shut down the PT. I can do some pool on my own , even if it’s just pool walking. And I can go to the gym n do the bike n some light exercises. This recovery can be difficult, especially when I think I can do things like I did 30 years ago. But overall my hip is so much better than before surgery. Going to go get a brace for. My ankle from drs office. And continue to be thankful for God’s goodness and his grace.

@Marvin L I tried that maneuver rolling back and forth from my desk to copier didn’t work for me just created more soreness I lift my desk up and stand when using the copier first thing in AM I do a lot of printing

I’m thinking why would she have me do that?
Most physios have a checklist of exercises. In fact many of the exercises given to new hippies have absolutely nothing to do with the hip. And in most cases the end result is just as you experienced - soreness and aches and pains. Best to stick to gentle exercise and let that hip ease into activity.

This recovery can take a year or more. You'll get there - just a bit of time and patience needed.

Maybe ask your physio for a massage rather than concentrating on exercises. Often massaging can help relieve stiffness and lets you off the exercises! The pool looks like it will really benefit you, that and walking concentrating on gait - in your own time.

Good. Morning,
I'm sorry you're experiencing new pain. Live and learn, I guess.
It seems you know why you're struggling and in an effort to move out of the ODIC quickly, you know what you need to do. Stop the offending exercises. Say NO to PT immediately when something cause strain, pain or discomfort. If you insist on going to pool therapy today, I'd take it slow and easy. Possibly you should consider skipping your pool session this week and go back to some regular rest /icing for a couple days as you recover from overdoing it. You could still take some regular walks as your exercise.

It's good you're taking this all in stride and I understand your frustration with yourself over engaging in the exercises. Look at it as a lesson learned and a minor set-back. It could be worse. These incidents show us that we can't put all of our trust in Physical Therapists. They're not infallible, as you're learning. It's best to listen to your body and thankfully you're taking the cues you're receiving. Remember this "pain is your body asking for change."
Give it the "change" it needs.
Have a great Tuesday!
@Marvin L

Think about a massage. That's the first thing I want when I go to PT today. I got massages about 9 weeks after my first hip and that really helped me alot. I do think to just ice and rest those muscles for a couple days before pool therapy and trying a massage. Take a good rest on that body. How are those new shoes working?

My pool PT went well, after I explained how sore I was , she did range of motion w massage, and showed me some easier things I can do on my own. I had a new therapist and she was sympathetic and sweet. I’m going to get my new lift, as my operated leg is a little shorter. My non operated leg, ankle hurts, got a brace for it. I’m thinking the leg discrepancy is causing my ankle pain. And hope the lift helps. Quite a journey, this recovery is. Has anybody had good outcomes with massage?

Yes, I have good results with the massages. I went in for first PT Tues and she massaged the IT Band. It was very tight and when she got done it had loosened up alot. I've got a small rubber ball like she used and have given myself massages. Hope that the lift takes care of the issues you are having with your other leg. Good luck!

Hi Marvin, Happy Three Month Anniversary!
With any luck the lift solves your issue. Is your surgeon recommending it, or are you doing it on your own?
I haven't had a massage since surgery so I'm unable to comment on that, but I'm sure others will.
Hope you have a great weekend!
@Marvin L

Last edited:
Surgeon suggested it. It’s about a quarter to half inch off, not much. I have a bigger problem now, I slept on my side 2 nites ago, for only 2 hours and I hurt my back, where the shoulder blade is n shoulder, it’s more painful than the hip ever was. I’m so bummed, mad I tried to sleep on my side. My upper body is giving me trouble now. I don’t get it, why would that hurt me so badly. I’m going to the dr this morning, see if he can do something to relieve the pain. Remember whatever pain we go through, it can be worse.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
GordieO
Recent bookmarks