THR 30 days and still recovering <

Maybe cancel the next appt and concentrate on walking and maybe the pool and still ice after exercise. If the groin pain starts going you have your answer.

Never did get TEDS, dr never recommended, swelling has gone down, and my calf that’s slightly swollen, itches, so I wear short socks. Still taking Norco occasionally, for the ankle pain. Going to foot dr next week. My hip aches, and the dang ankle keeps giving me trouble, I think it’s because my operated leg is shorter. Yesterday, I was bored so I went to the gym, only did 10 minutes on bike and some really light weights on upper body and walked in mirrored room to work on gate. Makes me stand up straight, watching myself walk , head up , chest out, shoulders back. The hunching over when walking, makes us look old. So I’m working on my posture. Have water therapy today. My range of motion is slowly getting better, it’s easier to tie my shoes. I’m getting close to touching my toes, about a inch away. When I try to cross my operated leg, it’s like it’s stuck, I assume that’s the muscles not moving. I would thing the new joint is capable of that movement? I’m healing nicely. I know I will get there. Think I’m going to delay going back to work until Oct. I’m going to make a trip to Minnesota to visit my brother n sisters. Everybody is getting older, I’m looking forward to seeing them, they are good, salt of the earth people. They all chose to stay in the area and live a calm, peaceful life. I on the other hand moved to Hollywood at 22 to become a movie star.

I on the other hand moved to Hollywood at 22 to become a movie star.

I don't know if you're kidding, or not, but this made me laugh. A spit my coffee out kind of laugh.
Hollywood, for real? Where you chasing after Jessica? Just kidding...a little humor to start the day. But you have spiked my curiosity. You certainly wouldn't have been the first to make the trek there and eventually have your hopes dashed.

I think you're doing really well and it's good to read you're planning things and looking toward a promising future with your new hip. Keep up the good work. There is still a lot of healing going on....so room for continued improvement.
Enjoy your water therapy today!
@Marvin L

Yes, I really did go to Hollywood to become a star. Didn’t work out but I tried. The highlight was playing R.P. Mcmurphy in One Flew Over The Cookoos Nest. That was the Jack Nicholson role , it was at a small theatre in W Hollywood. Fun days, great memories.
So, did pool PT yesterday, she stretched the heck out of me, hurt during and I thought I would really be hurting today but not to bad. My non operated leg, ankle still hurts. Have appt with foot dr next Tue. I think it’s from the leg discrepancy , and my gait. Hope it heals on its own and I still have a little swelling on operated leg. Seems to be going down but it’s very slow. Once I get my good sneakers on n get going it seems to get better. Actually boot ankles get better. Slight aching in thighs but it’s muscular caused from exercising. I’m continuing to heal nicely.

Good Morning and a Happy Tuesday to you! :wave:
Hmm, interesting. I'm sure it's a tough biz to break into without connections. Lots of competition. It must take a lot of patience, persistence and hard work, not to mention the rejection you'd have to deal with. Oh well, you tried and it sounds like you had some fun along the way.

Swelling can last for months, in some cases up until a year even. Not sure if you're doing so, but I'd ice prevantativly after those stretching sessions you mentioned above, especially when they cause discomfort. It's good to hear you're feeling okay today.

It isn't uncommon to feel like one leg is longer, but it is advised you wait 3-4 months before any final judgment while your muscles and body are adjusting to your new hip.

All in all I think you're doing great and you seem much more relaxed and confident in your recovery. That's a good thing! I hope you have a wonderful day. :)
@Marvin L

I’m going to cardiologist to have imaging of veins on my legs, see what’s causing the swelling. It’s getting better, he said varicose veins, but I don’t understand what that has to do with swelling. Overall, I’m pleased with where I’m at, 11 weeks already, wow how time flies n what a recovery it has been. Walking 3-5!miles daily, doing PT 2x a week, gym 2-3 times a week. Gained 12 pounds since surgery, but friends tell me I look better, I was a bit thin. Plus feeling stronger, from all of this exercise.

Hi..you are 5 days ahead of me wanted to share I am still swelled in calf area and behind knee I can feel it when stepping into tub skin is tight and my hip aches and is still tender around incision I’m still having the occasional pop ups of muscle pains in thigh and buttocks. I haven’t attempted to sleep on the side there were a few times I turned in my sleep and the pain awoke me lol
My feet or ankles never bothered me from either surgery but the shins will pop up here and there
I find it difficult to stand up after sitting for an hour then once I walk it out I do ok..same for getting out of car I learned veryyyy fast bending forward to pick up something oh boy that puts me in another universe LOL .. hang in there you seem to be healing nicely.. my left hip is 13 weeks out and I get soreness on left of thigh very minimal and still tight and numb around incision ... my surgeries were 4 weeks apart and I have been healing so much differently at a difference pace Water therapy is wonderful hang in there you are doing fabulous!

Thanks, it seems everyday it’s something else. I slept on my side for about a hour this morning and my thigh hurts, so strange , it’s didnt hurt when I got up to pee during the night. I did very little exercising yesterday, just a few stretches, thinking I needed a little break but it didn’t help. I haven’t had the thighs pain before. I’m going to PT in a few hours, will see what she suggests. Anyway, I will look at the big picture, I’m healing nicely. And to be patient. Slow and steady. Getting close to 3 months post op. Was hoping would be pain free by now. How do other people feel at 3 months out?

Good Morning Marvin,
This could go on for a while. There's no magic number of weeks, or months until you're pain free. You could have pushed something in PT without even realizing. So I'd be careful today and recommend you always ice afterward.
Following is a list of the June 2019 surgeries. You can type anyone's screen name into the SEARCH bar at the top of the page and their thread should come up is you want to see how others are doing who experienced surgery around the time you did.
https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/welcome-to-the-june-sunbeams-2019-hip-recovery-club.54975/

We're cautioned not to compare, but it seems we all do. Just keep in mind, you don't know what condition any one member came into THR in. Varying degrees of pain, immobility, disease progression. Also, some are dealing with pre-existing health conditions which can play into recovery. So read with those things in mind.
Have a great Thursday!
@Marvin L

Had imaging done on legs and everything is fine. So it’s getting blood. My biggest complaint now is the itching in the ankle area and the swelling. Is seems to be going down but there still is some minor swelling. And my left leg is a little shorter which causes my non operated ankle to hurt. I’m going to a foot dr next week to check it out. I’m hoping it’s just adjusting to the new gait. But looking at the big picture, I’m doing well, healing nicely and am thankful for my good health. There are so many people that have very serious issues. Remaining thankful of my recovery.

Thank you, BoneSmart, you all have been very helpful during this recovery. Has anybody flown with swollen ankle, if so, did it get more swollen. It’s about a 4 hr flight.

Happy Monday, Marvin
I'm sure some will stop by with their opinions on flying or share their experiences.

Following is an article from the BoneSmart Library on flying in case you haven't read it:
http://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/flying-soon-after-surgery.13054/

I can't imagine you'd be much more worse off after a flight at this point. It is normal for to experience gravitational edema while flying, but with regular ankle pumps while sitting and a walk or two about the cabin, withought annoying the flight crew, I'd imagine any additional swelling will dissipate once on terra firma again.

Good luck and enjoy your vacay!
@Marvin L

They abruptly stopped my pool PT, which is annoying, was the only thing I thought was helping. They want me to do land only. Makes no sense to me. So I will go one more time and then just do at home. PT was helpful but I didn’t reach all of my goals. I wanted to walk w no limp, which I have achieved. And put my socks on n tie my shoes. I can barely tie my shoes but cant put socks on without sock helper. I’m still pretty sore in the mornings, from exercising. I’m seeing my dr on Thur, for 3 month check up. Hoping he will clear me, and I will be on my own. Will continue to stretch n light workouts at gym. I’m happy about my recovery. I’m finally better than before. At least hip is. Still have ankle problem n minor swelling. But overall, I’m healing nicely. N it’s time to go back to work next month.

You'll find gradual improvement over the upcoming months. You'll suddenly realize you did "something" with ease that you may have struggled with on your decline, or in early recovery. It's good to read you're comfortable and happy with your recovery. Let us know how your three month post op goes. Until then....enjoy!
@Marvin L

Saw my surgeon yesterday for 3 month follow up. Said X-ray looked fine, but my operated leg is a little shorter, maybe a quarter of a inch. Said it should get better, muscles are still tight on operated leg. Going to do PP for a few more weeks , pool 1x n land 1x a week. At PT yesterday she said my glutes are week so she exercised my a lot. So, I’m pretty sore today. I also walked 6 miles yesterday, didn’t mean to, just started walking n kept going. She told me the butt is the largest muscle in the body n I don’t have much of one. Was told that walking doesn’t strengthen butt, need the do squats or lunges. Dang they are hard. I go up n down from a chair, 3 sets of 10. My question is, how do people recover without strengthening? My preference is to quit PP but I’m seeing some improvement with range of motion, she did measurements. I can tie my shoes n I’m about a inch away from doing socks. Can walk without limp. Maybe I will continue PT until I can put on my socks.

Good Morning and a Happy Friday to you.
It's encouraging to read your x-ray appears as it should. I'm concerned with PT over working you. I wouldn't allow it. You're recovering from a major surgery, you don't need to be put through workouts.
My understanding through, Josephine, is that Squats and Lunges should be avoided as they strain the hip, buttock and thigh muscles. I'm tagging @Jaycey to weigh in with any additional comments regarding the therapy you're engaging in. It sounds like you've overdone it in mentioning you're sore today. I'd take a breather from it all with some rest and ice before moving forward.
I hope you have a nice holiday weekend. :wave:
@Marvin L

I am in agreement with Layla. But if you feel compelled to do the PT then maybe only do 1/2 of the reps that they recommend? I was sent to PT with my first hip, mainly for my upper body issues and that's how I got around the hip exercises, I cut everything in half or more.
After all, isn't that what this world is about these days, compromise?
Somewhere along the line, maybe 8 months post op, my gluteals regained their tone. I am thinking it was due to the increase of ADL.
There's another member on this site, she opted for PT with her first hip and developed some nagging tendonitis, etc. So, with the second hip she decided to take the bonesmart way to her recovery and is doing very well.
Maybe read her recovery threads? @Bfam85

My friend - your body is trying to tell you something. Please listen now before it is too late. All this exercise is making you sore. And no - that's not a good thing. Keep it up and you may get into a chronic pain situation. You do not build muscle strength post op by pushing through the pain.
how do people recover without strengthening?
ADLs and walking - and not to excess. You muscles atrophied pre-op while you were trying to stay off that sore hip. Strength will come from using them again. But everything is still recovering from major trauma. Slow and steady will get you there in much better shape.

Hi @Marvin L ... yes, I totally understand your concern about how can you get better if you don't exercise your weakened/atrophied muscles....I can tell you, I did both ways; I worked them out too soon with my first hip and paid for it in healing time from exercise. This time with hip number 2, in addition to stretching, I just walked as my recovery. My hips love walking; everything feels better afterwards, not sore, stiff, painful or swollen. I also disclose to you that my walks are not 1 or 2 mile walks, maybe 1/2 to one mile right now. As I stretch each morning, I am finding my ROM to get better and better. No time limits on it anymore. It will all come back.

There will be plenty of time to exercise everything. As a matter of fact, I just came back from the gym and had a very enjoyable workout of upper body and bike. I still err on the side of caution. Time is the healer; you won't regret it. You won't get weaker or more feeble! You will be thrilled you took your time. HTH

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom