THR 30 days and still recovering <

I did pool PT today. We discussed not doing pt vs doing it. She agreed the hip will heal on its own without exercise or PT but It won’t function very well. In my case my body is very tight, so I can’t put on socks or tie my shoes because my muscles are just to stiff. Therefore I need to stretch everyday and do some strengthening. Makes sense to me. The unfortunate outcome is some soreness after the stretching n exercising. I did a lot today in the pool. Trying to loosen both hips and back n neck. And tried to loosen hamstrings, quads, calves n glutes. She said I will be sore tomorrow. My question is how much soreness and pain is beneficial and when is it to much?

Hi Marvin,
I'd say it's too much if you're suffering extreme discomfort, it lasts more than 2-3 days and interferes with engaging in the normal activities of daily living. Make sure you're icing afterward.
Wishing you the best...let us know how you're feeling in a day or two.
Hope your week is a good one!
@Marvin L

@Marvin L Hi...
We are pretty much at the same week. I also am having stiffnesss problems, but just one area...the upper buttock area with stiffness in morning and that muscle hurts like all get outs to walk just out of bed....it's like a huge Charlie horse.
I saw my PCP yesterday and she also agreed it seemed to be the maximus gluteus muscle. She asked if I was doing PT. I said not really. So I also wonder about healing but not functioning very well.
Are you using Tylenol or NSAIDs?
In the morning I use my cane to walk around for about 15 minutes, then I seem good without it until I sit too long, like even 1 hr. I'm stiff again, so I decided to start doing some PT. I also have been off all pain medication such as tylenol or aspirin for about 4 weeks and decided to go back on a regimen of tylenol, with either aspirin or motrin. My OS said he never has told his patients they should not take NSAIDs because of hindering bone growth into the stem. So I experimented with some Motrin. Wow, it really helped where the Tylenol was not giving me much relief.
Ahhh.....so much confusion in the professional world of doctors.
My husband and I have been fishing almost every night and I have been using aspirin or Motrin and am able to sit for 3 hours fishing w/o pain and return home and clean them. By then it's dark and time for bed...
I don't know when my problem will improve, but for the time being I'm using over-the-counter help controlling my sore, stiff muscle. I'm over trying to be the tough guy using no meds and my PCP agreed. Also it's been 10 weeks with no NSAIDS so I think the bone has had time to get a good start growing into the implant.
Sorry for rambling on, but curious if your stiffness is painful?

I feel you, there has to be a stretch exercise for the glute. Also, maybe a massage. My butt get a little sore , but the rest of my leg is stiff. I just want to be able to touch my toes so I can put on socks n tie my shoes. I walk w no limp now, no cane. And my ankle hurts some. But overall I’m happy, healing nicely. I see my PT lady Friday and I’m going to get a list of stretches to do every morning before I get going.

@Marvin L and @Cecropia not sure if this would help either of you but figured I'd share. Have a couple of areas, one like Cecropia mentions and then just above my knee. PT suggested that I use a little heat, not on or too close to the incision, to help loosen up the muscles and stuff. She said the ice may be making it stiffer. Just a thought.
:fingersx:

@Elf1 Was thinking about trying heat.
@Marvin L Once my muscle loosens up I don't limp at all and walk quite a good pace. My family does not understand when I say you should see me when I get up in the morning. lol. My pharmacist even said it will settle down with time...
Hope your PT works for you.

I do heat, it does help. Today I’m 9 weeks, how time flies. Yesterday I went to divorce court to support a friend, she’s a good mother and a jury gave her husband sole conservatorship and he wants to take them to Qatar, 2 girls, 5 n 6, one has autism. I’m praying judge will rule in her favor. It’s a mother’s worse nightmare. But anyway, I got a Fitbit and yesterday I did over 10,000 steps, almost 5 miles and I don’t feel bad today. Just the pain in ankle, so I’m healing very nicely. Today I’m going to gym and ride bike and stretch. Maybe do some light weights, upper body. Overall I am very happy with recovery, I know there will still be ups and downs and to watch what I’m doing. This site has been helpful and I appreciate all of the sound advice.

Nine weeks already! And you're doing so well.
What a sad story about your friend. She's lucky to have your support.
Woohoo on the steps, just take it slow, especially today at the gym. Don't want to see you too ambitious too soon and then sidelined.
Have a great Wednesday!
@Marvin L

9 weeks, wow went by quickly. Doing really well, still have some aches in different parts of legs, comes n goes. It crazy, every day something hurts some, yesterday was my back, right now it’s my hamstring on my non operated leg. But over all I’m healing nicely. I’m assuming I will have aches and pains for a while longer, how many months before everything settles down and you forget you had the replacement?

Hi Marvin,
I think you'll have some discomfort for awhile. It's usually short lived, as you mentioned. Here one day, gone the next. Just roll with it unless something is escalating in frequency or intensity. You're doing well!
At just a little over two years post op....I still haven't forgotten I experienced THR. I think of it several times a day, but it's no longer in the forefront of my mind.
Have a wonderful weekend!
@Marvin L

I think my operated leg is a little shorter. And my non operated ankle is giving me trouble. It hurts , I’m going to try walking a little less today. Just when I’m doing so good, very annoying. I just don’t get it. Hip is doing well , it’s all of these other things that are so bothersome. Or is this ankle pain part of adjusting to the new gait?

:wave:
We hippys can certainly agree that this is a journey that can have definite ups and downs.
I think my operated leg is a little shorter.
I have a slight Lld when my hip flexors get tight.

I’m going to try walking a little less today.
Great to hear it. Things are still healing...and too much activity just aggravates the process. Tightness is the defense that ensues and it can be tricky...
Or is this ankle pain part of adjusting to the new gait?
Very possible.
We just ebb and flow and add things and subtract things as our body dictates.
It'll get there....unfortunately just can't be rushed.
Hope you have a good weekend. :yes:

Last edited:
(Most likely. As you get more and more mobile you are asking other parts of your body to get active. Just ease into any new activity. All this will settle in time.)
Boy ain't that the truth.

Hi Marvin, it’s been really nice to read about your progress. It’s very encouraging! I’m 5 weeks but suffered a dislocation. My surgery was a revision. I’m not allowed to do PT yet so the lack of exercise is driving me I’m used to working out and it is definitely having a negative impact on my mental well being.

Keep up the good work!

Thanks for the feedback.
Onestepatatime, you will get there, I promise. I understand it’s stressful, especially with the job hunting but let’s say the dislocation is a 4 week set back, so you will be doing well in about 6 weeks. Time goes by quickly and you are still very young. I, like you , worked out most of my life and now that I’m starting to again, it’s hard for me to not over do it. But I am trying. Hang in there, I have a good feeling about your recovery, by the time the holidays are here, you will look back at this time, with amazement and gratitude about how well you are doing.

Thank you for the uplifting post! Really appreciate it, and I will go with your good feeling about my recovery! There’s a sangria wine festival Sunday I want to go to. So many fun things are passing me by. I better behave.

Hope you have a great weekend, Marvin. :SUNsmile:
Happy Saturday! :wave:
@Marvin L

I wanted to tie my shoes so badly, I forced it yesterday and I stretched way down while sitting , I did it, ugly tie, but now my hip hurts. I’m mad at myself, I get so impatient. So a little down today, have the hip pain and my ankle on my non operated leg still hurts. Can you feel the difference in pain, whether its in the new joint or if it’s muscular?

One other thing on a more positive note, I’ve been doing the stationary bike with no problem, so I went shopping for a new bike, I have all of these great bike trails near my house. My goal is to be able to start riding in Oct, I’m not going to push it, learned my lesson with shoes.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
LeonGirl