THR 30 days and still recovering <

Good Morning :wave:
Love your update. It's great you're seeing progress and realizing how far you've come.
You will have some aching and discomfort since it's still early into your recovery. At least the itching is improving. :thumb: Glad to hear it.
Wishing you a great day and week!
@Marvin L

I did have posterior. Went to my first pool PT yesterday and I really liked it. She stretched both legs in the water and massaged my surgical leg and foot. Couldn’t believe how much the foot hurt. She watched me walk and said I still walk peglegged n turn my toe inward. That’s why my foot hurts. She taught me how to walk corrrectly, heal to to, but what I was doing is I wasn’t lifting my heal up. We practiced n I couldn’t believe how hard it was, I was uncoordinated, after walking w a peg leg for 3 years. I’m a bit sore today, my hamstring is sore n hip. I have a land PT on Friday, will see how that goes, I was real sore after the first initial PT. I might request doing the water, because I think that was the most helpful. 8 weeks today. My goal is to start working in 4 weeks. I’m not using cane anymore, but I think I still have a slight limp, should I continue to use the cane?

Good Afternoon!
Yes, it is recommended you use the cane until you're no longer limping and continue practicing heel-toe.
It's good to hear you enjoyed the pool and you're seemingly more confident about it all. I'll bet that helps the anxiety level stay down. Just remember it's easy to overdo in the pool so continue to take it slow. Ice whatever areas are sore today and it will most likely ease quickly as long as you're not overdoing it.
Enjoy the rest of the day!
@MartinL

Thank you, Layla. Doing pretty well this morning. Ankle still has slight swelling. Can I get rid of raised toilet yet? Will use cane until limp is completely gone. I limp when I first start walking n then it gets better. My biggest lesson is slow and steady.

Good Morning,
I definitely think you can get rid of your raised toilet seat as long as you're comfortable without.
There really isn't any timeline to my knowledge, other than following imposed restrictions.
I'm guessing the majority use it on an average until 6 weeks post op, maybe longer for some, less for some and some never use one. One more step toward no longer feeling like a patient. :happydance:
Have a good one!
@Marvin L

A little over 8 weeks, doing pretty well, this morning, when I got up, my non operated leg, the ankle hurt, what in the world caused that? Could it be from my new gait? Also, when I first start walking, have a terrible limp, seems to get better, the more I walk. Doing PT today, see how that goes.

I do think a lot of those transient pains are from our body readjusting and changing gait as you mentioned.
At least that's what my surgeon's PA told me. Usually by the time you figure out what's causing one thing, it's gone only to be replaced my another. My feelings are that unless it's escalating in intensity or frequency, try to ignore it and in a few days you'll suddenly realize it's gone. I think the limp will improve over time also, but remember to use the cane if you're limping more often than the first few steps after standing up, as you described.
Good luck with PT today. Take it slow and if it hurts, STOP.
Let us know how it goes. Happy Friday! :wave:
@MarvinL

PT yesterday was good, rode stationary bike for 5 minutes, no problem, which makes me happy, now I can go to the gym and do bike and a little light weight lifting. Will be great to just go to the gym, like I did before, for 15 years, but wasn’t able to for the last 2 years because of hip pain. And be normal, wonderful!
She also had me do a angled squats, which I was nervous about, but it went ok. And some stretches and massage.
A little sore today, hip hurt when I woke up, normal pains in ankle n butt, but not to bad.
Do water therapy again on Tue, which I really like n land on Friday. Think I do this for 6-8 weeks. Overall, this recovery is working, I’m healing well. Thank God. And Thank you Layla, you have been very helpful.

Great updates @Marvin L ! Your world is opening back up and its good for others who are struggling to read your progress. It's good to have our gaits analyzed so you can make even more progress.. I had a very sore ankle and achilles tendon, too at first. It still "talks to me" but is much improved. Glad you were shown the standard heel toe walk.. that is so important.
Have a great weekend!

Nice to hear your steady progress is going well. I'll be using my cane till the limp is gone. Started walking my Lucy down to next block this week. We're both out of shape since haven't walked for 3 years. Isn't fun to see ourselves slowly getting back to living?! Take care. :egypdance:

Happy Saturday, @Marvin L
You're welcome!
In mentioning you're sore today, do you mean more sore than before you started PT?
Please remember this isn't a "no pain, no gain" type of situation. Your body is healing and while I believe it's okay to do some pool walking, as long as you don't overdo, and also some stationary bike riding, I wouldn't do squats. They're not necessary and I believe strain hip, buttock and thigh muscles.

I'm happy you're doing well and can tell you're getting more comfortable with your recovery. I don't want to see you sidelined though recovering from an injury caused by an exercise you shouldn't be doing. I'm going to draw in @Jaycey who knows a lot about particular exercises and see if she has any additional precautions regarding squats.

I hope you have a wonderful weekend!

She also had me do a angled squats
Hmmmm... what approach did you have? And did you have any restrictions just post op?

I really would not recommend squats this early out. Maybe at 6 months out and then starting half squats. Squats are not only tough on a new hip. Muscles and tendons that atrophy pre-op can be over stressed doing a deep squat.

Up to you of course. But if you are sore today your hip is trying to tell you something.

I agree, no more squats, went to gym today, was really good for me emotionally. Just did 10 minutes on stationary bike and 20 minutes , light weight, upper body. Hip is a little sore, icing now. Last couple of days I’ve noticed a clicking sound. Heard it 2 times total, took me by surprise. Is that normal? Has anybody else experienced that? It didn’t hurt.

Ok, I've not experienced this but since you recently did some squats and other increased activity I would be wondering if a tendon or ligament is a wee bit inflamed and isn't gliding as smoothly over the joint. But if that were the case I would guess that you would have felt it as it moved.
I've heard others talk about hearing clicks and feeling a random thunk early on in their recovery and most seem to think it's a normal adjustment of the new joint. If it continues I would suggest paging Josephine and getting her opinion?
For now, the icing and resting a bit just may fix everything all up for you!

Hi Marvin,
I've read on the forum that these clicking popping type sounds that happen during the healing process are considered normal. As the soft tissue and muscle tightens around the joint it will ease. I've read online that a popping sensation sometimes occurs when the psoas tendon rubs against the new hip. With healing and time it will disappear. It can occur while turning the leg side to side. I wouldn't worry, especially since there's no pain involved. And I have a experienced the clicking, myself.
I think you're doing great! Keep up the good work.
@MarvinL

I’ve noticed a clicking sound.
Totally normal. Clicking, popping, clunking - lots of descriptions of this feeling. Soft tissues and muscles have not yet firmed up around the joint. In time this feeling will just fade.

Today, I am feeling the difference in leg height, operated leg feels shorter, when I asked PT, she said it’s because my new hip, is tight n makes it a little shorter. And my good leg ankle is hurting, I think it’s from the difference in height. Is this possible? Other than that, I’m healing nicely.

Nearly every new hippie feels this leg length difference. The good news is that in most cases this feeling just fades with time. Your body is adjusting to a new way of carrying yourself. Just allow a bit of time for things to balance again.

Here's an article from our Library on this: Leg length differential - LLD

Your whole body is making an adjustment to the new hip ... and learning how to move away from all the compensation in movements you made before surgery ... compensation for the weak hip. I think I remember having some knee aches and pains (minor) on my non-operated side ... Your body is still adjusting.

On hip length ... funny ... at one point I thought my operated hip was longer ... then I thought the non-operated hip was longer ... this all faded with time. Two months is still quite early.

I did squats with success starting six months after surgery ... I occasionally tried them earlier than that ... and the result was always pain in the next days ... Happened multiple times ... and I gave them up.

Good Morning Marvin :wave:
Happy Two Month Anniversary!
Time sure flies when we're having fun :happyfeet: :chuckmarch:
Hope you have a great week as you continue on the journey!
@MarvinL

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member