THR 30 days and still recovering <

Yes, you can still have pain if you overdo it. And it sounds as though you have through Post 175 above.
Rest and dedicated icing, along with your meds should help. It may take a few days of less activity and some TLC.

Because you tend to worry, maybe it would be best if you avoided the threads of those dealing with a complication. They are rare and if reading them has you stressed and anxious, please refrain.
Have you watched a video on THR? If not, I can post it. You may gain a better understanding. Your body is recovering from a "controlled" trauma, it takes time, so buckle up, it can be a bumpy ride at times.
@Marvin L

Check out the reality of recovery -

rps20171117_054543-jpg.71434

Please post the video, I would like to watch it. Thank you.

This recovery journey is crazy, so today I feel good, after just 1 day of taking it easy. Was really sleepy, so I slept about 8 hours and feel good. So, I’m learning slow n steady. Going to go to church this morning, a bit of walking but I will just go slow. I want to be in the presence of other believers and have one of the prayer partners pray for me and give thanks to God for his goodness. I am staying positive , believing the best, I am healing more every day. God is good.

Thank you. Of course it’s going to hurt afterwards, and for some time. I had the mini posterior, my cut is about 5 inches horizontal towards the top of butt. I’ve had very little pain there, unless that come later. I’ve been laying low, 1 15 minute walk outside , morning and evening. Minimal exercises. Tip yours, the swinging the leg. Butt tightening m push down on bed at knee. I just have some minor pain in thigh and a little intermittent groin pain, and the annoying heal pain. I think I’m doing fine, I just don’t have a reference point. Seeing dr this Thur to talk about how I’m doing. Also, I’m very sleepy most of the day, maybe it’s boredom. I hope dr says I can ride bike, I would enjoy going back to the gym, just to spend a hour somewhere. But when I think back on this journey, the improvement is amazing, the body does heal itself. God created a mind boggling miraculous body, in all of us and gave it the capacity to heal itself. I choose to give the credit to our creator, God almighty.

I watched a live video of the surgery. Oh my Lord, to dislocate the hip, it’s like a extortionist, they are very rough, no wonder we hurt, and the little cut we have, is spread open several inches , they saw, hammer, pull and poke, it’s amazing I feel as I do, at 6 weeks. Probably not the best idea to watch it on line.
6 weeks tomorrow and I’m pretty pleased where I am, just some minor pains and aches, I’m still watching what I’m doing. I see my dr on Thur, and I think I will now, start some rehab. Makes sense, now is the time for strengthening. Hoping they tell me to ride a bike. God bless everybody going through this and we will all be pain free and doing well, very soon.

Interesting I'm sure. I've never watched it. I couldn't even get through a short animated version.
Hopefully it helped you realize what we go through and why we deal with discomfort, odd sensations and pain to varying degrees. The healing process is nothing short of amazing.

You most often sound better than in earlier weeks. Less apprehensive and more confident that you'll experience a good outcome. I believe your visit with the OS and any reassurance offered there will only build on that. Good luck with your appointment. Let us know how it goes if you're interested in sharing.
Happy Six Week Anniversary, on the eve of.
@Marvin L

Well, I thought I was around the corner, but today I ran several errands , in n out of the car 4 time and some walking, have been trying to walk with no cane, and lo n behold I get groin pain and my hip aches. I just don’t get it. And when I wake up, my ankle hurts. 6 weeks today , I really thought I was better, this makes me depressed. All I want to do is eat and sleep. Eat ice cream n sleep. Anybody else having issues at 6 weeks?

6 weeks you're no where near healed. You're about half way to almost healed at which point you can still hurt pretty bad. You watched the video, it's not going to just get better suddenly.

Yes, many struggle with these things at 6 weeks post op.
Watch the video again. Cutting, bleeding, sawing, reaming hammering.

Many crave / eat ice cream too. We've laughed about it shared our favorite brand, flavors etc. It's been a topic of conversation often. It's normal.

People get depressed. It's depressing having your leg cut open and waiting for it to heal. It's boring, it's annoying. We have an article on Post Op Blues in the Recovery Guidelines because it happens, you're normal.

People have sore ankles, sore knees, sore bums, sore groin, all of it. You're ONLY six weeks out from major surgery. It takes a full year to heal, up to two years for complete healing for some I've heard. So you're in the infancy of the journey and you're doing well.

Best advice....go chill with your ice pack and your favorite ice cream. Then go to sleep because your body does it's best healing then.

And hey...by the way, what's your favorite flavor of ice cream?
@Marvin L

Pralines n cream. Have my 6 week dr appt today. Lots of questions for him. Thanks for the reassurance. B

Hello, Happy Thursday!
Wishing you all the best at your appointment today.
I hope all of your questions are answered and you're reassured by the visit.
Let us know how it goes.
@Marvin L

Did my 6 week post op, yesterday, Dr was 2 hours late, annoying but I like him. He said all the restrictions are gone, can even cross my legs, tried but I can’t, I’m way to tight. Same with bending, can’t get anywhere near my toes. Doing stairs normally, hurts. So yesterday I’m trying to do all this stuff, like I used to a couple years ago, but I couldn’t do it. And I’m a bit sore today. I’m starting PT next Thur and I going to ask about stretching and getting loose enough to tie my shoe laces. Easier said than done. I’m still going to go slow n steady this week. I can sleep on my side for about a hour but I think I need a better pillow to put in between legs. Any suggestions?

I guess I can't blame you for being annoyed. A two hour delay is a lot to expect of a patient as our time is important also. I wouldn't worry about crossing your legs, if it never happens it's most likely something you rarely, if ever, do anyway. Let these things come naturally, and they will as your body continues healing and strengthening. Try not to routinely test yourself every couple days, or even weeks, as you will most likely set yourself up for disappointment. Some of these goals are accidentally and surprisingly met when they happen spontaneously one day without any effort on your part.

I understand it's none of my business but I'm concerned about you beginning PT. Not because I'm against it, but because I'm afraid you'll push yourself, suffer setbacks, stalling your recovery and worrying yourself. You've been concerned about every ache and pain along the way needing reassurance all is well. Do you feel you'll be able to say NO to the therapist and not push yourself if something they're requesting you do hurts? PT is not a no pain, no gain situation after the major surgery of THR. Your body is healing and will be healing for months to come. You don't really need workouts right now.

My suggestion for a pillow is something I use and can't be without. It's a Body Pillow from Target, approx $10
and it's something I've grown accustomed to falling asleep with. It works great for between your legs overnight, especially if you're taller. I'm 5.6 and it works perfectly for me, would for those taller also. I'm sure you can purchase one through Amazon, WalMart, any number of places.

Hope you have a nice weekend!
@Marvin L

I got the long pillow, will try tonight, I haven’t been able to sleep on my side for several years. I’m very happy about this. As far as PT, I will make a conscious effort to not do anything that hurts. I need some help with stretching and maybe bike riding. Yes, I am overly sensitive to aches and pains, I just don’t know what to expect, what is normal and what pains could be something serious. Today I can’t help myself I kept trying to do the stairs like a big boy and it would hurt a little. Today my hip aches but my biggest concern is my ankle, I discussed w dr n he said it’s not broken, just some inflammation. It’s bad when I first get out of bed and improves quickly. I just want to be able to tie my shoes on my own, then I can’t have to ask somebody to help me everyday. I’m about 2 inches away from doing it.

Let us know how you like the body pillow.
It's alright if you're overly sensitive to aches and pains, you're not alone. We all have different pain thresholds, it's the way we're wired.

Today I can’t help myself I kept trying to do the stairs like a big boy and it would hurt a little.

Please don't keep trying over and over again right now. All you'll do is wear yourself out and feel disappointed. Wait several days, or even a week and try again. Many, many are doing steps toddler style at this point. You're very early days yet, considering all.

Try ice and elevation for your ankle daily, or nightly. Get some slip on shoes for now, you will eventually be able to tie your shoes. Please cut yourself some slack, you're doing fine.

@Marvin L

I really like the body pillow, been years since I slept on my side. Today, I feel like I’m rounding the corner. Pain is minimal, still have a slight limp but getting better. I took your advice and I’m letting things come naturally. One being the stairs, wasn’t thinking about it and was going down the stairs naturally. And getting in n out of car is so much easier. Only using cane, maybe 50 percent of the time. My biggest issue now is my ankle, hurts in the mornings and now it itches, 4 weeks ago my ankle and calf were almost twice as big than normal, swelling, now it’s almost normal, but it itches bad around my ankle area. Is that from dry skin or does the skin lose something from being so big and the going down so quickly. I don’t see anything when I look at it, but my eyes aren’t what they used to be. And of course the neurotic side of me thinks maybe I picked up some skin disease in the hospital after the THR. Anybody have any suggestions, different creams or steroid crepe. I’ve been putting ave no moisturizer on it. I live in Houston and it’s hot this time of year.
I want to thank everybody , especially Layla, you have given me a lot of comfort during the journey. And boy what a long strange trip it’s been.

Me too on the Body Pillow, when I first purchased mine it had me thinking...where has this thing been all my life? I'm ready to get another, mine is kind of losing some life and at only $10 it doesn't break the bank. I think everyone should have one. :yes:

Itchiness can happen as a result of the skin stretching when the area is swollen. Some swelling can last for months. That doesn't mean it will for sure. Try elevating and icing if you're aren't any longer. See if it helps. The ice packs may bring you some comfort from the swelling and itching. It will also keep you cool in the Houston heat. You didn't pick up a skin disease at the hospital, you're making me laugh :heehee: It wouldn't only be affecting your ankle. Keep using the Aveeno if it's bringing you relief.

Thank you for the kind words. We aim to please.
Go enjoy a treat of Pralines and Cream and then go nigh nigh. :yawn: :sleep: Your two favorite things lately....and don't forget the body pillow! :wink:
@Marvin L

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom