THR 30 days and still recovering <

When I try to walk without the cane , I instinctively limp, i limped bad for the year prior to surgery. How do I learn to stop limping. I’m still sore when I wake up, my feet hurt and pains all over, not terrible but annoying. And my hip is stiff, have ice on it now. Do the teach you how to walk straight in PT?

Good Morning Marvin,
Heel-toe walking will help you lose the limp.
It takes practice as it doesn't come natural for everyone and may take longer if you formed a bad habit as your hip was deteriorating. Let your heel hit the ground first followed by toes.
It takes a concentrated effort but I believe you'll notice a difference. Give it a try.

Having pain at one month post op is not uncommon at all. Continue icing all areas of discomfort for 40-60 mins each time you ice, it will ease gradually. Elevate also. Read both articles (ICE / ELEVATE) from the Recovery Guidelines as a refresher.

Not sure if you're taking any meds but there's always Extra Strength Tylenol if you feel the need. The forum Nurse often recommends 1000 mg every 6 hrs, not to exceed 4000 mg in any 24 hr period. You must calculate into the daily 4000 mg any other products you are taking that contain Acetaminophen, not exceeding that daily limit.
Have a good one!
@Marvin L

I’m still taking Vicodin 3 times a day. When can I start stretching, my quads are real tight. And calves are tight. Do they teach you that at PT?

I’m wanting to ditch the cane but I limp, badly. It’s like I don’t have the strength in that leg, not to limp. I’m doing the heal to to. Works great with cane but not so good without. From you alls experience, how long for the limp to subside?

It can take up to a year or more to correct your gait. It really depends on how long you limped around pre-op. Continue to use your cane until you are totally confident and no longer limp. You are only just over a month out of surgery. Still early days.

It’s 5 weeks today. Amazing how much better I feel. Most of the swelling is gone, pin n needles is very minimal. Now I’m on the cane, 90 percent of the time. I try to walk without it, but I limp way to much, Guess I will use the cane until my 6 week appt next week. My hip does seem to be aching more today, is that normal? I get paranoid when something hurts more than it has. Also, still very sleepy. I looked back at my previous post and yes, the improvement is wonderful. Thank you Jesus!

I’m June 14th. It sounds like you are rounding the curve in your recovery. I have a limp too because I limped for so long before surgery. My home PT did teach me how to heel toe but it’s no real skill it’s more mind over matter. It really takes a lot of concentration. I would try to get up and move 2-3 times a day even if it’s just small distances. And go outside as it’s good for your mind. Everyone recovers at their own speed. I know once I switched from the Vicodin/Oxy to only Tylenol
I felt SO MUCH better. I’m not nearly as sleepy and feel more positive and clearheaded. But if you are in bad pain take what you need to to keep moving. You’ve come a long way. Keep up the hard work.

Lisa

Thanks, woke up at 4 today with hip aching, not taking pain meds at night. Plus the possible hurricane concerns me, I live in Houston and have been through to many, people panic, grocery stores are emptied, gas stations run out of gas. So I guess I need to go stock up, not going to be fun, can get sacker to put in my car and find a neighbor to bring it it into my 3 story town house. My heart goes out to those people in New Orleans.

Good Morning, :wave:
Sorry you're in some pain this morning. Hopefully it's eased. Now hurricanes, oh my!
Stay safe. We'll be thinking of you.
@Marvin L

Thanks, I’m sleeping a lot. Is this normal. I sleep about 8-10 hours at night and a nap or 2 for another 2-3 hrs.
I was lucky to get 6 hrs at night and never a nap. Is this because of the healing? Other than that, feeling prettying good. Just some aching in hip and some pain in groin and pelvic area. What is done at the 6 week checkup?

Hopefully you will get some reassuring xrays and you can address any concerns with your surgeon.
That energy drain is real.
Do make sure you walk about though...dont like those bed sores.:umm:

Hugs and prayers for a better day tomorrow.
:angel:

Hurricanes.. I’ve. been through too many of them..not fun. Stay safe and be prepared! Your recovery sounds great! Totally normal to need a lot of sleep!! I remember after my first hip replacement I went back to work at 6 weeks and I was exhausted!

I was just thinking, the day of my surgery, I asked the PA how many my dr was doing today and he said 4 knees and 5 hips. I can’t even believe he does that many, I wish he would do less in 1 day. But I seem to be doing well. I walk for about 20-30 minutes, 3-4 times every day. I do the home PT except for the leg lifts, they make me hurt. I’m taking the advice here. I just want it to heal for now and strengthen later. On the 18th, when I go for the 6 week check up, he tells me to start using a bike. I miss not going to the gym. It would be nice to go to the gym n do the bike a some minimal weight lifting. I’m talking 10 lb curls, some lateral pull downs, stand up flys on cables. It amazes me how quickly the body heals in a little over 5 weeks. 2 weeks ago, I was miserable. Today I ran several errands , got in n out of the car 6 times and my hip aches some but not that bad. Will ice it up tonight. I really found this forum beneficial and want to thank everybody that communicated with me. Wishing everybody a speedy recovery with minimal pain.
God bless each and everyone of you.

I was just thinking, the day of my surgery, I asked the PA how many my dr was doing today and he said 4 knees and 5 hips. I can’t even believe he does that many, I wish he would do less in 1 day.

Practice makes perfect.

You're doing great! Please don't do anything that hurts. You will get back to exercising at some point. Heal first.
Enjoy the weekend!
@Marvin L

Last edited:
I am so disappointed, I thought I was doing so good, but last night I had a pain in my thigh, a sharp pain and this morning I have a intense groin pain. It’s so hard to remember to take it easy. I walked quite a bit yesterday and also went on a lot of errands, going in n out of my tall Jeep Wrangler around 6 times yesterday. I’ve read on hear the 5-6 week part of the recovery can be difficult. What causes the thigh and groin pain? I’m going to take it easy today, ice and just take 1-2 15 minute walks or should I not walk?

I also have Jeep [emoji592][emoji16] here is a [emoji112]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Marvin,
Sadly, you may have overdone it. Keep in mind you're only five weeks post op from major surgery.
Complete healing can take up to a full year. I understand it's easy to overdo it once you're feeling better. This is where you'll need to make a conscious effort to weigh out all activity before engaging.
Please re-read and follow the Activity Progression For THR to keeep yourself in check if you feel you're pushing it. http://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/activity-progression-for-thrs.13187/

To be safe try to stay within this range at least until your current situation improves -
Weeks 6 and 7
Start taking car trips to the shops but keep them short and sweet at the start, no longer than 15-20 minutes
Take at least one 5 minute rest while you are out.

Activity: ironing, washing, meal prep but get someone else to clear up after, wash up but someone else clears the table, brings you the dirty dishes, dries and puts them away after, not you!!

Ice, rest and take any meds you're on, on schedule.
Hope you feel better soon.
@Marvin L

Well, maybe not ironing :heehee: and possibly convenient easy meals that don't take a lot of prep, or clean-up.
Hopefully you get the idea....s-l-o-w down or it will continually feel like this -> :climb:

I read on here a lot of people get thigh and groin pain. Is that a muscular thing. I just got it yesterday and today? It’s at 5 weeks. Is that because we are doing more? My heart goes out to some of these threads, I pray everybody with problems gets better. But the problem ones get me nervous, revisions, all kinds of stuff. I just need reassurance some pain is normal. 3 days ago, I had hardly no pain. Is the hip aching n thigh n groin hurting somewhat normal at this stage?

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom