THR 30 days and still recovering <

Guy to guy ... follow the instructions you are getting from the experts here ...exactly ... not sort of, but exactly. Stop thinking about it and get moving. Nothing whacky or too hard, but get moving. Listen to music and walk to the beat ... think about other stuff. Read a book. Call friends. Read the national news on washingtopost.com and nytimes.com ... get moving and smiling ... stop thinking too much!

Gotta love this guy, he doesn't mince words. :heehee:

Today is the day the Lord has made, I will be glad and rejoice in it. Today I’m changing my outlook about this situation.

Praise the Lord! Now you're talking :egypdance:

I hope you have a wonderful day!
@Marvin L

Thank you. Just took a hour walk outside w walker. Felt good. Little aches and pains, I assume there will be some of that, adjusting to the new gait. Anybody know when the 90 degreee rule is over? Can’t tie shoes, or even put the Velcro on the one pair I’m using. My energy is coming back, walking some with cane from living room to kitchen. I believe my hip is coming along nicely, just some aches but I’m would think that normal? Amazing how much better I feel emotionally, go outside and giving this whole healing process to God. I’m thanking him for the small steps of healing. Hope everybody has a nice weekend.

Can’t tie shoes, or even put the Velcro on the one pair I’m using
I wonder if this grabber would work to put the Velcro in place? It’s incredibly versatile and it just might work. I use it for tons of things. They also make a 18” one which I use to help put on my clothes.

Yes, @gertie is right! I have been using my grabber to fasten the Velcro straps of my shoes - works perfectly! It's so much more than just a "grabber"!

Yay....you got out and liked it! :happydance:

Little aches and pains are normal. The busier you stay, within reason, the less you'll be bothered by these aches and pains which are most often fleeting anyway. Usually one is replaced by another in early recovery which is where you are now.

Try ceezee's great idea of the grabber for fastening Velcro.

Here is an article on 90 degree restriction -
http://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/dislocation-risk-and-90-degree-rule.10181/

Not all surgeon's impose restrictions. Mine didn't. I was cautioned to move slowly and cautiously. IF anything hurt, STOP. As weeks pass you're become more and more comfortable just moving naturally.
You. Can. Do. This.

Thanks for the advice. This morning was tough. This pain when I get out of bed is really troubling. I take my first step, my foot hurts, pin and needles starts at bottom of feet, then to the foot, ankle and up the calf and shins. I have left 4 emails and 3 voicemails over the last week to my PA and no response. Left one to the other assistant as well. Ever since I left the hospital, I’ve been on my own, this forum has given me some good advice but not the dr office. The surgeon, just does the surgery and then your on your own, if I had known that I wouldn’t have any support, i would of found a different surgeon. My email this morning, I begged him for some help. I think I need some imaging, tests, a physical exam. A diagnosis of some sort. Or a referral. I am thinking it’s either nerve damage or a circulation problem. What do I do? Would a X-ray help? Is something broken or injured from the dislocating of my hip. Wednesday will be a month. I need help. Any suggestions are appreciated. I think the hip is good but what do I know?

Hi Marvin,
I'm sorry you continue to struggle and suffer pain. I'm sure it's concerning.
When is your post op appointment? Or did you already have it?

Is your surgeon's practice large enough that they have a Quick Walk In Clinic, or Urgent Care, for after hours, weekends or emergencies?

If I were you and called leaving multiple messages via email and VM, I'd show up when they open tomorrow morning to get the attention you deserve. I'd tell them you have all day and don't intend to leave until you see you surgeon, his PA, or another surgeon or PA.

Wishing you comfort and relief.
@MarvinL

Thanks I will do that. I had my incision a week afte. N I have one the 6 week on the 18th.
Now I’m a little paranoid, is some aching in the hip area normal at this stage? After exercising and walking ?

Yes, it can happen. Ice any areas of discomfort for 40-60 minutes, no less.

What exercises are you doing?

You really don't need to be doing any exercises at this point, aside from walking.
I'd stop all exercises and go outside and walk for 20-30 minutes at least once a day.
Twice a day if you feel up to it.

What are you taking for pain relief?
@Marvin L

I’m taking hydrocodone. I’m stopping the exercises. Was just doing the list they gave me. Swinging the leg. Tip toes. Butt squeeze. Ankle pumps. Leg lift.
PA finally emailed me. My surgeon is on vacation. He’s trying to find me another dr to meet with.

Marvin,
Please do stop those exercises for now. Its unecessary and is most likely causing the discomfort you're experiencing. Ice / Elevate / Walk. Besides eating and sleeping that's all you need to be doing at this point.
Hopefully you made it outdoors for a walk or two today. It will help your mental outlook which is an important piece in this whole process.
Wishing you a relaxing evening.
@Marvin L

Thanks. I’m going to a dr today , it’s a 30-45 minute drive. I was going to drive but I got scared so I have a friend driving me. In my Jeep. It’s doesnt have any electric seats so I can’t bend over to adjust the seat. This morning, I still have the pin and needles when I wake up and now my heal hurts so bad, it wakes me up. Anybody else have heal pain? Think it might be from the swelling and the blood going to the heal, while laying on my back. It’s very painful, I’m getting discouraged and sad about this recovery.

I’m almost 4 weeks out, can I sleep on my side yet? If so what do I do with pillow? Any videos?

Marvin,
Many aren't sleeping on their side at four weeks out. I wasn't, simply because I was anxious about trying.
You'll know when the time is right. Read the article. Mojo, left you.

I'm happy to hear you're going to the doctor today. I hope you get some answers and reassurance so you can relax. Let us know how it goes.
@Marvin L

Just got back from dr office. Took xrays of hip and foot. He sail hip looks great and foot is fine. I have edema from poor circulation. He said most people have some swelling, at a month out. Suggested I talk to my GP, or my cardiologist. I will in about a week. He said to do the same thing you suggest here, elevate feet above heart. Start wearing the socks and ice. Do some ankle pumps and leg slides before I get out of bed. I feel better, just by talking to the dr. The hip is good, that’s the main thing, he said yes there will be pains for a while longer. This really is quite a journey, physically, as well as emotionally. We just need to be patient and trust that God has us covered. He designed this amazing body that has the capacity to heal.
God bless everyone one of you all.

What does everybody do with pillows when sleeping? Is it ok to put behind the knees? If my legs are straight, my knees hurt. Any suggestions using multiple pillows?

Yes, a pillow under your knees will help ease any lower back pressure as well.

Is you are still having pain in your heels try folding a towel and putting it just at your ankles so that your heels aren't touching the bed when you are back sleeping.

Hello Marvin,
Good to hear you had x-rays and that your hip and foot look okay. It's great you received some reassurance, hopefully you can rest easier now. Recovery can be an emotional journey for some. If you apply your doctor's and our advice on icing / elevating and wearing the TEDS as directed, I'm sure you'll notice the pain and swelling slowly dissipating. At not even a month post op you're in the very early days of the healing process.
Best thing to do at this point, is chill :ice: Consider getting out for a walk and enjoy the day! :SUNsmile:
@Marvin L

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks