THR 30 days and still recovering <

Thanks for the advice.

I was going to run a couple of errands in my Jeep Wrangler, it’s a little taller, so I have to have a step stool to back in. Got in, had the seat all the way back and inclined but couldn’t reach the lever without braking the 90 degree rule. Drove about a block and my hip and knee started hurting. Came home. Not much of a ride.

I’m so tired of asking people for help. I have a Dr appt on Monday and it’s a 30 minute drive, don’t know if I can do it. My seat slopes down in the back. I have a call into them, to see if they can fill my pain meds without going in. These rules on pain meds are silly, especially if you recently had surgery.

3 weeks out, today. Aching in hip and thigh, probably normal. Still have swelling in my calf, ankle, foot and toes. Heal hurts. When I get out of bed, feels like I’m stepping on pins n needles. Anybody know what causes that that? Still using walker, not comfortable with going to cane yet.

I appreciate reading different recovery journeys, it helps, listening to what other people are going through.

God bless all of you and a speedy recovery.

Pretty soon to be driving any vehicle @Marvin L .
My seat slopes down in the back.
I had to use a cushion on my car seat for several months post both THRs. Especially if you have bucket seats - new hips don't like them.
Still have swelling in my calf, ankle, foot and toes.
All normal - still early days for you. Rest, ice and elevate. Maybe forget about the errands for now.

Good Afternoon,
Personally, I feel you can handle a 30 minute drive to the doctor's office on Monday as you'll be almost a month post op. Unless you need to park and walk a great distance into the building and office of your OS. If that's the case, I'd find a ride and get dropped at the door.

If you do drive, don't be surprised if you're tired afterward and only want to rest for the remainder of the day. I could be wrong but I'm getting the impression you're not very active currently. I think it may benefit you to show up with a list of questions that you inquire about here. Especially raising the concerns you have surrounding your calf as you repeatedly mention it. Hopefully they'll offer you the reassurance you're seeking and you'll be able to rest easier. Wishing you a good rest of the day.
@Marvin L

Thanks, I sleep a lot, lately. 2-3 hours at a time, but 4-5 times a day. Take a 10 -15 minute walk outside. Exercises a couple times a day. Been a little sad lately. Trying to stay positive. Have been independent my entire life, I don’t like asking people for help. Is this excesses is I’ve tiredness normal? My main concern now is , my feet feel like pins and needles, has anybody else experienced this? I’m still swollen on feet and ankles, calf has gone down a lot. And my heal hurts. Is the pin n needles something to do with circulation?

Marvin,

My experience - I have never napped much. I took maybe 3-4 naps the first week. After that, I did not nap. I did go to bed a bit earlier than normal - maybe 9:30 instead of 10:30 so I was getting more sleep than normal.

At a 3 weeks, i was feeling somewhat normal - not normal as in 10 years ago - but seeing some light in the tunnel. I was elevating and icing 3-5 times a day. I was systematically cutting back on Tylenol. Between icings I would walk the house for 10-20 minutes, or walk outside for a couple of blocks.

Don’t become discouraged - do what you can do. Don’t focus on what you can’t do. Get up and walk.

Thanks. Went for a 30 minute walk outside today, was nice to be out, even though it’s hot, live in Houston..
Has anybody out there gotten the pins and needles feeling in feet, after laying down for a few hrs? Didn’t have it before surgery and would like to know why? Surgeon doesn’t give a explanation. Any feedback is appreciated.

Thanks. Went for a 30 minute walk outside today, was nice to be out, even though it’s hot, live in Houston..
Has anybody out there gotten the pins and needles feeling in feet, after laying down for a few hrs? Didn’t have it before surgery and would like to know why? Surgeon doesn’t give a explanation. Any feedback is appreciated.

It’s all due to the swelling. I’m still black and blue on the foot and slight swelling but def getting better. I had pins and needles as well and my three of my toes would go numb. I would just apply a little heat( standing on heating pad) for about 3 min and all would feel good. Also putting on compression socks before getting out of bed helped a lot!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I will try the heat, thanks. It’s 23 days for me, now, feeling down. Every morning when I take my first steps, I’m hoping it will be better, and I get this numb feeling with pins and needles, shooting up my calf and shins. I just can’t figure out what is causing this. Thank God, my hip just aches some but manageable with pain meds. The dr office won’t return my call or email. My next appt is in 2 and a half weeks. I feel so helpless and sad. I don’t know what to do? Seems like most of the threads I’m reading, everybody is so much further along than I am, and I’m happy for them. I’m not big, 5 ft 10 inches, 180 lbs. I’m taking a walk for 20

20-30 minutes outside for the last 4 days. Is this a nerve issue, I had the mini postoral approach, have a 5 inch scare on top of my butt, think that’s close to the sciatica. But I don’t know. Has anybody gone through anything like this?

Hi @Marvin L
Have you canceled the appointment with your OS for Monday? Was hoping you'd make it there to get some answers. Let's ask the forum nurse @Josephine to explain the numbness and pins and needles sensation you continue to express concern over. Hopefully she can put your mind at ease.
Wishing you comfort and peace of mind. I hope you have a nice weekend!

I had a major sciatic flare post LTHR. My first walk around the ward ended quickly as I needed to sit down fast! Pain shooting down the leg.

Have you purchased new shoes since having your THR? If you are wearing old shoes with a pre-op wearing pattern it can really aggravate the lower back and legs. We recommend purchasing at least one new pair of walking shoes post op.

How long before the sciatic pain subsided? My foot is still swollen , so I can get shoes on , mostly wear slippers, I have one pair of sneakers that have Velcro instead of laces that I can get on for my outside walks. Thanks for the feedback nn

How long before the sciatic pain subsided?
The flare itself eased within a day or so but I had ongoing back issues and worked with a physio and osteopath.

If you still have swelling in that foot that explains your pins and needles. Are you icing your foot?

Yes I’m icing, I can’t figure out if it’s a nerve issue or a circulation issue. I’ve left my surgeons assistant 2 voice mails and 2 emails and no response. I left the other assistant a voicemail today. It’s frustrating, that they don’t communicate. Surgeons or at least some just want to do the surgery and that’s it. Granted I believe my hip replacement was done well, thank God, no real issue with it, bot I didn’t have any pins and needles in my feet before surgery, so something happened during. I just want somebody to diagnose my problem and get a game plan. I’m so saddened by this, I was better off before the surgery. Please, if anybody has any encouraging words, they are greatly appreciated.
God bless everyone on here.

This is the part that stands out to me.

Neuropathy refers to damage to the peripheral nerves in the limbs. Patients with neuropathy often experience numbness, tingling, pain and weakness that starts in their feet and moves upward. Neuropathy described in this study is isolated to the limb where the hip surgery occurred -- often affecting the sciatic nerve that runs down the leg and controls strength and sensation.

A lot of people heal different. Some of us have a lot of swelling, bruising and some none. Pain comes and goes different locations. The pins and needles goes away after standing for a few minutes? I have the same thing and just had a post op appt and my doc said to keep moving and the fluid will eventually pump it’s way out and circulation will improve, and it has. I walk 1/2 mile 2X daily and so simple stretching. You don’t have pain and numbness that starts at bottom then goes up do you? Do you not go to your first post appointment you had scheduled? Though you had said on here you had one? Every day gets better:) PS I use crutches when I walk outside and a cane or trekking pole in doors when I’m not tired. Just an update since we have the same sx date:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Marvin,

The surgeon and staff first - if mine did not return my call for help, I would their number every five minutes. I’m serious. I would tell each person I was going to do this because I had not received a return call. Be clear and uncomplicated in your discussion. Demand action. If nothing heard I would call the hospital administrators office and any other ombudsman number in could find.

To the pins and needles ... they will fade. The more you walk the faster they will fade. Lay down with ice packs (I’m assuming you have silicon gel packs) and elevate for an hour. Then walk house for 10 minutes. Then repeat. Do this until you are bored to tears, then do it a couple more times.

I had bruising for at least two weeks ... it will fade, as well.

Guy to guy ... follow the instructions you are getting from the experts here ...exactly ... not sort of, but exactly. Stop thinking about it and get moving. Nothing whacky or too hard, but get moving. Listen to music and walk to the beat ... think about other stuff. Read a book. Call friends. Read the national news on washingtopost.com and nytimes.com ... get moving and smiling ... stop thinking too much.

In a week it’ll be over!

Lay down with ice packs (I’m assuming you have silicon gel packs) and elevate for an hour. Then walk house for 10 minutes. Then repeat. Do this until you are bored to tears, then do it a couple more times.
This sounds like my recovery regimen.
It is hard to know what 's permanent and what is temporary at this stage.
If you do feel that there is truly something wrong, keep reaching out to your doctor!

Healing mojo coming your way

Thank you all, I appreciate the advice. Just got up, and had pins and needles, and my calf is sore. And hip aches and stiff. Walk around the house and it gets better. It’s the weekend, so I’m going to forget about it. My son is staying with me, but he’s leaving to work, get back at 4. My problem is, I only have 1 pair of shoes that fit, due to swelling they have Velcro to tighten but I can’t reach down to tighten, so I can go for a walk outside. Guess I will just walk around the house. Today my goal is a 45 minute walk outside, still using my walker though. Today is the day the Lord has made, I will be glad and rejoice in it. Today I’m changing my outlook about this situation.
God bless, you guys and have a speedy recovery.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back