TKR 3 Weeks tomorrow....

Cass1e

Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Coming back on board, prior to my right TKR, on the 17th of August 2021, having had my left knee replaced in March 2020 in the midst of covid starting up.

I feel I have recovered well, although slowly, from my first knee 17 months ago. Same hospital, same surgeon, and hoping for as much success this time round. Had my pre-op appt this morning and ready for starting my 3 isolation days from next Friday.
I am planning on refusing Physio from the start, as although I had zoom physio appts last time, I found it quite stressful trying to "keep up" with what was expected of me during those first 3 weeks prior to discovering Bonesmart.
Once I found the support offered here, I more or less, smiled sweetly at the physio screen and chose to do it gently, the Bonesmart way.... ICE, ICE, ICE and lots of rest, elevation and gentle stretches.
I will keep the door open, to access physio help, if I find I need it this time, but all been well I can manage as before.
My family are not quite so on board as they felt I should have pushed and suffered to recover much quicker and be back to normal in 6 weeks post-op!
So here I go again, can you please put me on the August list and hope nothing is cancelled before then....

Welcome back!

I‘m sorry your family thinks working hard and painfully can speed up recovery. You know that’s not true. Good for you for taking charge of your recovery and doing what’s right for you!

I‘ll go add you to the surgery list.

Best wishes! :flwrysmile:

A good physio can be very helpful but too often they take a cookie cutter approach and push you to do too much too soon.

A lot of people don't realize how involved tkr surgery is--they're used to hearing about more minor knee surgery where people are recovered more quickly. :(

I’ve just had a left hip replacement and been in a ward with 4 guys who have had TKRs - varying ages from mid 60s -80 ish - all have bounced back quickly generally - most came in for surgery on the day like me and remained in the ward for 3 or 4 days and discharged late pm.
I hope yours goes okay and you’re not too apprehensive beforehand. Finding Bonesmart.org was a good move for me, I think it’s really helped me in such a positive way. I’ve certainly been singing their praises.
Regards
Eddzuno

With me there is a balancing act between too much and not enough PT. I think the key is for me to find that sweet spot where I increase ROM and recovery speed while not overdoing it so I take a step back.

I want to do more than walk without pain - I could do that before surgery. I want to get back to some athletic activities minus long distance running which I hear can shorten lifespan of the implant.

First 2 weeks I only did very basic movement exercises given to me by my OS to do before 2 week follow up. Then after positive follow-up x-rays I started PT. I had very poor ROM out of the gate and at 2 weeks I think I was around 35 so I was worried. Now 3 weeks later at 110 when pushing it, and natural ROM is getting close to 90.

My PT has been fairly aggressive so that I require lots of icing and elevation after. This upcoming week I am calling them and telling them I will do self guided PT for the next week. I will do more "ADL exercises" with some less aggressive stretching each day. If my knee feels better and ROM is improving I'll continue to do my own PT.

Anyway, I am going into week 6 and still trying to find that perfect balance. You had a over a year to find what works best for you with knee #1 so you should be fine with knee number 2. Don't let your family push you as people have no idea how difficult this surgery is to recover from.

Tuesday's surgery cancelled this morning.
Apparently I need a cardiology appointment and echocardiogram before I am deemed fit for surgery.
Friday 13th strikes here, and i'm feeling very sorry for myself today.

@Cass1e So sorry your surgery is postponed. But it is better safe than sorry in terms of cardio issues. Did they find something unusual in the ECG results or are the just being cautious? Hope you can get this addressed quickly and get rescheduled.

I was in your position before my first THR. My doctor gave me a new med to try a month before surgery and my heart rate and BP skyrocketed (something like 115 BPM and 165/100). Even 2 weeks after going off the med, it hadn't gone down much. I was lucky that we could get everything in before the surgery but it was a whirlwind week. In the end, they found a couple of minor cardiac issues but nothing too serious. I was even able to do my second THR at a stand alone outpatient surgery center (after a conversation with the anesthesiologist). Anesthesiologist said it was to help them know what precautions to take or adjustments to make and, if higher risk, to determine whether it should be done at a hospital where there are more resources if needed.

So, please don't get too worked up about this. Most likely it will be a small delay and everyone will feel better going into surgery with the best info for a great outcome.

I started having palpitations in March and started medications to control them. My surgeon wasn’t happy to go ahead prior to having echocardiogram and further investigations.
This is a 3-4 month wait for NHS appt….or done privately on Tuesday! I thank my lucky stars I can manage to pay myself, and all been well I can be rescheduled for surgery in a months time.

SaraK-thank you for your kind words yesterday, they meant a great deal to me.

I was a little concerned about going ahead on Tuesday as I felt things were not quite right, as I have felt quite “off-colour“ recently, but hopefully these test can rule out anything serious.

”Rats” I seem to have done something wrong here and somehow separated my threads onto two different entries. I’ve worked out how to avoid that in the future, but can’t see how two combine my two threads now. Sorry.

All I was struggling to say was please take me off theAugust list, but maybe….back on the September one (fingers crossed)

I seem to have done something wrong here and somehow separated my threads onto two different entries. I’ve worked out how to avoid that in the future, but can’t see how two combine my two threads now. Sorry.
No problem, I’ll merge them for you!

I did take you off the August list, we‘ll add you to the appropriate list when you have a new date. Hugs and prayers that all will go well! :console2: :prayer:

I'll be keeping you in my thoughts and hoping for a good outcome!

Well, I went for my echocardiogram on Tuesday, all appears well, and I was booked for surgery on Sept 14th.
This date was cancelled 3 days later! And a provisional "maybe" booking for the following week, the 24th.
I have a baby Grandson due around the 11th Sept, over in Dublin, so its not possible to nip over and rush back very quickly.
Now I'm undecided, about delaying my own surgery dates, and risking been put out of waiting queues, or going ahead and finding another cancellation upsetting babies arrival. My daughter has been happily saying I should go ahead with my surgery after waiting so long for it. But these two cancellations have made her rather nervous and upset, worrying that I could miss baby and not be around to help out in the early days.
I know I won't be able to get to Ireland for quite a while post-operatively, and she could find it very difficult getting over here with a new-born and a lively 3 year old.
I am quite sure my knee knows something is amiss! It has suddenly gone from been sore and rather uncomfortable, to waking me up several times a night and not been able to walk happily for more than a few minutes!
Oh what to do for the best? Why is nothing straightforward any more.

Well the 24th surgery date has been cancelled again and now its the end of October. So I thought the baby situation was solved, we could visit, help out for those early days and come back home. Great!!

this morning I woke up with atrial fibrillation for the first time in 4 months, it didn’t settle and now I am in the local hospital trying to get myself sorted out again.

hopefully I will be kicked out by the end of the day?

I’m so sorry! I hope they fix you up and you’re home soon!

So, here I go again.
Have had my pre-op checks all done today and am hopefully going for surgery in two weeks, October 26th.
All sorted on the heart front now, a new set of medications that are working so much better, although I didn't actually realise how bad I was feeling beforehand.
Started blood thinners too, but these have to be stopped a few days before surgery.
And got to Dublin before baby arrived and managed to stay for a couple of cuddly weeks with both my grandsons.
Unfortunately the eldest one brought home, from school, a vicious cough-of course he shared it but even that has gone now.
I've started planning for my recovery and discharge from hospital, but all I can do now is to hope that there is no further problems or cancellations...fingers crossed for me

Well, looks as though my surgery may be going ahead tomorrow, the 26th. I am all set for getting to the hospital for 6.45. Fingers crossed for getting my life back to some sort of independence. I know it will take some time but I am hoping for an eventual good outcome.
Here goes…

Oh please can you put me onto the October list?

@Cass1e - Good luck with your surgery tomorrow, we are all here rooting for you.
I have advised my colleagues to add you to the October list.
Looking forward to following your recovery as I too will be shortly following in your footsteps thus having my 2nd surgery with my right knee being replaced in November xx

Last edited:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks