3 weeks post TKR - queries and comments

Status
Not open for further replies.

kipper

Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hello - im Kipper. I am a 64 year old female and I had knee replacement 3 weeks ago and i must admit to be feeling rather left to my own devices! (Thats probably because its Christmas!)
I am signed off from the District Nurse and could have done with advice but was wary about going to an out of hours surgery over the Christmas break because of catching an infection and frankly I just didnt feel up to it.

My two main problems are pain medication and Atrial Fibrillation. I came out of hospital with Dihydracodeine and Paracetamol for pain relief. I am still taking Asprin for blood thinning but stopped the pain relief because it was giving me a problem with indigestion. I think the Fibrillation was a result of indigestion as well. i had it in the past but after catheter ablation was cured. I think I'm managing without the pain relief but i'm finding it more difficult at night.

On one of the forum posts someone mentions the importance of sleeping with the leg straight. I try but usually end up on my side with the operation knee bent. I hope this is alright. It straightens out fine n the morning!

i am looking forward to physio tomorrow. I have had only 2 visits to our local hospital to see a physio for 20 mins/10 mins and start tomorrow at a Knee Club with other people who have new knees so should be helpful. Also it is a 40 min session so It will feel more positive.

i was very happy to come across this forum - just to read other people's comments/problems/successes and I feel encouraged to hear that 3 weeks on is early days! we do expect to be up and running and it IS a major operation after all.

I think Im doing OK! I have 96 degrees knee bend - can walk around the house with/without sticks if Im careful - -the main problem has been the feeling of being left to get on with it on my own and not feeling very confident. The forum is just what I need! Thank you!
Bestest of wishes to you all

kipper

Kipper, welcome to the forum, glad it is of comfort and assistance. I think we all feel like you in the beginning. Just remember there is nothing you are feeling or going throught that someone or other on this site has not felt or gone through as well and Jo, our co-ordinator is a nurse with years and years of experience and a good friend too boot. I am sure you will do well, but you know pain medication is essential in the healing process. You will find you will do better if you keep your pain at a minimum and before the longer PT session you definitely will want to take something. Hope you are well and wish you the best of luck. Rowdy

Hi kipper. Glad to hear you're doing so well thus far. No it doesn't matter if you end up sleeping with your leg bent - important thing is that your ARE sleeping! That's great!

The dihydrocodeine is okay but not the best kind of pain killer. I would have thought that codeine phosphate would be more effective. Or diclofenac (if you can take NSAIDs like ibuprofen and such) along with the paracetomol. You do need good pain control in these early weeks. I would have a chat with your GP about it and see what he/she has to suggest.

In the meantime, do post on here as often as you want, even if just to chat. There's always somebody online. God bless you!

(In case you hadn't noticed, I'm in the UK as well!)

Thank you Rowdy66 for your welcome and sound advice! I DID make sure to take painkillers before I went to PT!

Josephine, your message also cheered me temendously - I am taking your advice and have a telephone appointment with my Dr re sorting out the painkillers.

Today I had a PT session at the Knee Club at our hospital. There were 4 of us and we had several "stations" to go around doing an exercise at each and the physio did a one to one having a look at knee and measuring its bend. Last week I had a 96 degree bend and today is is 100 degrees so must be doing it right. I feel it is worth going every week now.

One of the ladies who had her TKR op 6 weeks ago said she had come to the hospital on the bus! That gave me encouragement.

Keep the Faith
kipper :)

Well, that's not at all bad!

hi kipper wow 96 is good you should be very pleased with yourself how much physio are you getting??

Hi Gayle -
its 100 degrees bend today! Im not getting much physio at all actually. Since my operation I had 2 PT sessions - one of 20 mins and the next week I had 10 mins. Was worried it wasnt enough, especially as my sisters friend in Manchester had a one to one physio who came to her house every day for 4 weeks. I try really hard to do exercise myself, especially forcing the knee bend. Now I will have the Knee Club to go to once a week and it will be good.

Having previously said that my PT went so well this morning, now this evening Im really suffering for it and my knee is stiff and sore. I AM pleased with the knee bend - yes.

I see that you are also in UK, Gayle - How is your PT experience? Good I hope?

Keep the faith Gayle

kipper

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties