3 weeks post THR

Status
Not open for further replies.

Janet

Had Right THR on 11/20 and I'm shocked to say that I feel pretty darned good!
Was discharged on 11/24, then bounced back to the ER on 11/26 with some kind of stomach virus that got me admitted for another 3 days. Before that 2nd admission I was sure that I should just be put out of my misery, but now I'm sure that was just the illness talking. I can walk fairly normally unaided around my house. I can play with the dog. I can get up and down the stairs with no pain and relative ease. I use the pain meds for "Overdunit" days when I practice the PT a bitt overzealously, but only because I'm going stir crazy being housebound. 24dozen batches of Christmas cookies later, I can finally says that I'm glad I did this.
Just wanted to let anyone know that there really IS light at the end of the tunnel!

Thats Great! Its Good To Hear Such Great Results.i Had Mine 11/26 And Although I Feel Pretty Good I'm Having Pain @ Night And Have Knee And Calf Pain Pretty Bad.when You Remarked That You Walk "unaided" Do You Mean No Cane Or Anything?i Believe You Have Inspired Me.best Of Luck.

I had my left hip done in January and the right one in September. I don't even notice the left hip now! At three weeks I was getting around great, using a walker at home and crutches when I went out. I could drive at four weeks and went back to work both times at five on one crutch and had no problems. The best thing is I can sleep through the night for the first time in years. It's worth the surgery for that alone! I do have one concern however and I'd like to find out if anyone else has the same. As I said, my right hip surgery was in mid-Septmeber. It is now mid-December and about three weeks ago my right femur began to be very painful when I walk. My surgeon said it was nothing to be concerned about, and that the winter weather probably had something to do with it. Also, I wore a pair of 2" heels for a couple of days...bad plan. I'd like to know if any other post-surgery patients have pain in the femur-not the hip-and how long it lasted.

I'm two weeks out from my THR and feeling better each day. I use a cane from time to time, but I am able to walk slowly under my own power. It is walking and the PT that make all the difference. I try to walk about a half mile a day and I am working up to a mile by week three. I have stiffness and some soreness in the hip, but that is normal.

Good luck to all who are recovering and best wishes to all who are waiting for their surgery. The waiting is far harder than the recovery!

PT109

Jolly good , pt! Hope 2008 is ace for you - you've earned it!

Great news! Thanks for posting. I'm 35 yr old active female. I'm scheduled for THR @ Left hip 14 Jan 08. I'm encoraged to hear your recovery. During my pre-op appointment the Dr and his nurse said "no driving" for 6-8 weeks! Not even as a passenger. I was a little shocked at this. Really? not even as a passenger? That's seems really long...considering I've read that most people have returned to work within weeks.

What are your thoughts?

~Ginny

Different surgeons have different ideas and experience. Also the prosthesis and surgical approach makes a difference as well. Two things about cars matter, the position you sit and getting in and out of the vehicle. Both can a recipe for dislocation.

6-8 weeks of no driving or no sitting as a passenger in a car does seem a bit unusual to me. It sounds as if your surgeon is taking a very conservative approach to recovery. But, when you select a surgeon, you also agree to follow his or her recommendations. The important thing is that the operation is a success and you get back to a normal, pain free life.
For me, my recovery has included very aggressive physical therapy starting the day of surgery. I was out of bed and walking the evening of my operation. I knew this going into the surgery and that was what I wanted -- to get back in shape as fast as possible. So, I selected a surgeon whose approach was aggressive and yet careful. I have not been disappointed.
You will do fine. Attitude is everything in recovery. When I had my right hip done last May, I was feeling pretty good by day 8. This time around, it took two full weeks before I started to really feel better. The first days are the hardest, but they are well worth it when you realize that the pain from the hip is gone. Do the physical therapy religiously; that will make a big difference in how quickly you bounce back. Good luck!

PT109

Well he did say I would be up walking and doing PT withint 24 hours of surgery...and I do have to drive home from the hospital..which is 4 hours from here. (i'm having surgery at University Birmingham, AL and I live on the gulf coast of Florida). I'll just take it easy. This time next week I'll be walking in the hospital. Scary. I'd just go and do it tomorrow if I could..the waiting is so agonizing.
i'll keep everyone posted. Thanks for the encouragement.

Ginny

Well he did say I would be up walking and doing PT withint 24 hours of surgery...and I do have to drive home from the hospital..which is 4 hours from here.

Not driving yourself, I hope!
ai21.photobucket.com_albums_b286_flagady15_smilies_smilieyikes.jpg

That would be a big no-no!

But on the serious side, yes, of course you have to do that, but I hope you will sit reclined and be very careful as you get in and out of the car.

It will all be over soon, my dear. Just keep us posted on your progress.

I've never heard of anyone having to wait 8 weeks to be able to drive! I know that there is more concern with the right hip since you have to be able to hit the brakes for a panic stop if needed. I was able to drive at 4 weeks after both surgeries and had no problems with braking or accelerating. Getting in and out of my little Honda was tough and I am always very careful there. I almost bought a new car before my first surgery just to get one that was taller, but it turned out to not be neccessary. I suggest that if you are feeling good and are moving around well at 4 -5 weeks that you ask your surgeon about giving driving a try. It sure feels good to get out after sitting around the house for weeks!

My parents are flying in on Saturday and we'll drive up to Birmingham Sunday. (Surg. sched. for 1/14/08). I discussed the driving home issue with my Dr. when we met for the first time.

I'll be sure to post here upon my return.

~Ginny

Waiting is the hardest part. Get your house in order. Make sure you have a recliner chair. It helps to keep your feet up so the swelling goes down after surgery. I actually slept in the recliner after I came home. It was more comfortable than my bed. Make sure you have your grabber so that you can get yourself dressed and be able to reach for items you need. I cooked and froze some meals as well. It made meal time much easier at first. Rely on your friends to help out. Line them up in advance to run errands and help out when needed. I also found it helpful to set aside some little projects I wanted to do after I came home so that I had that to look forward to. A new needlepoint, some sewing, an art project, a new book to read - whatever you look forward to doing. I also mapped out a walking route and checked mileage so that I would know how far I had gone each day. When I go out walking now, I know exactly how far I am going, so I try and increase it a bit each day. You can do all of this before surgery, and it will help to set you up for success afterwards. I am exactly three weeks post op and I am off to the store, walking every day, doing house keeping, enjoying my family and friends, and feeling SOOOOO much better than before surgery. You have all this to look forward to, and i know you'll do great.

PT 109

The best thing I did after my surgery was to get a hospital bed for my home. My insurance even paid for it! I had it for one month and it was a godsend. You can get in and out easier, keep your feet up and sleep more comfortably. I have never slept on my back and that was difficult for me after the firsts surgery (I've had both hips done this year) when I didn't have the bed. They set it up in my living room right in front of the TV and I kept my books and art projects right there as well. I had a PT that came to my home and I kept up with the exercises and walking. That's the really important part. The more you move the faster you get better. Good luck with your surgery and let us all know how you are doing. I have found this forum very helpful and have learned a lot here. Mostly, it gives me peace of mind to know what others are exeriencing.

wow - sounds so good - you're not very old are you? My Dad is 79, in pretty good health (managable anyway) and starting to look for info about THR... would you recommend it?

I am 62 and active. Is your dad a healthy 79 and does he stay active? So much of the recovery has to do with rebuilding muscle tone and stamina. There are joint replacement programs at many hospitals now, and they run sessions for people thinking about hip and knee replacement. Your dad should talk to a doctor if he is thinking about it, and get some information from the doc on his health and whether or not hip replacement is a good idea for him. Good luck to him!

I can't recommend hip replacement too strongly, for anyone able to do the rehab. For me, after having both THRs this past year 9 months apart, it's been nearly a miracle. I am pain-free (in my hips anyway) and able to do things I could not do for years. I am very young for this (56) but arthritis is a family curse for us. My 48-year-old sister is having her first THR next month. A good surgeon is very important so do your homework there. You can go online to check the background of any doctor. This chatroom is very helpful too. I have gotten a lot out of reading about the experiences of others going through this. I would have one other recommendation. The combination of Cumadin and Codeine can "plug you up" very badly and very quickly. After my first surgery I had a dreadful experience that required a trip back to the hospital. It was the worst part of the entire experience. Ask your doctor about help with that. My hospital had a class for people about to go through joint replacement. It was very informative and we got to see the actual parts they were going to put in. Very cool. All in all, it was no big deal! Not that painful, didn't take all that long off of work (5 weeks each time). Go for it! Best of luck.

I am a 38 y/o male that had my hip replaced back in October of 2007 and I can give you my experience. I was in the hospitaL for two and half days and went home to recover I used a walker for about a week and then to a cane after that for about two more weeks. the recovery was quick. the thrid day after surgery was the worst and after that I progressed for the better everyday. The hard part was the limitations. I do recomend going to therapy. I did not and it was hard to figure out what was safe to do and what not to do and still be safe. I had metal on plastic/metal. I asked for the ceramic but was told that ceramic can break even though it was avery low percentage but if it did happen you can never get all the fragments out of your body and the probability of having issues after were almost for sure. It has been just over three months and I have gone back to pretty much normal activities other than the normal no running or jumping. I feel great and I am back to work lifting 40lb bags of product with no issues. As far as the driving thing I was driving (against Dr's orders) by the third week more because I was bored of sitting at home. Short drives and being very careful how I got in and out of my truck. One more hip to go (they want it done now and I want it done in May so I can enjoy the summer) and I should be a new man :)

Buda

What a wonderful thread this is! Makes me feel cheerful just reading it!

I have a great remedy for 'getting plugged up'! Take 3,000 - 4,000 mg Vit C daily (1500 in am, 1500 @ pm) consistently X1week - you will surely notice the amazing effects! No kidding... A long time ago I breast fed my 1st baby @ Christmas time, he pooped every diaper - till I stopped eating so many Christmas oranges!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom