THR 3 weeks post op

JulieH

Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hi, I've just found this site today and after reading lots of your posts decided to join.
I had LTHR on 19 August 2021, so just gone 3 weeks past. I was diagnosed with hip dysplasia in both hips when I was 3. Surgery corrected the right but the left wouldn't do what they wanted.
After much soul searching I had the replacement, mainly because the back pain was getting worse and constant (L leg was 1.5 inches shorter than R).
Surgeon had to pack above my hip with metal to bring it level with my R, and the bone quality wasn't good. I've got a dual mobility cup, as I was adamant I intend to be active again, and he said that would help with stability. My cup was flat, so the replacement is screwed in as well.
I'm off pain killers, and more get aches and tired through waking up because of the sleeping on my back with a pillow between my legs.
I think the aching is a much because of my muscles being pulled into new positions (I was also twisted). The leg is now lengthened, which feels weird but good.
I'm mainly walking without aids (though use then at the end of the day when sore/tired) and managed to drive today, just a short distance - and emergency stop, but I don't intend to go anywhere just yet.
I've only walked around the house and garden and so am nowhere near the walking some of you guys do.
I've read the advice on the site re recovery.
What I really want to be able to do is have a bath, shave my legs ;) ; and get back to swimming - which was my exercise pre op. The walking is getting better, though an awkward g as gait but sitting at my desk to work causes stiffness across my shoulders, as does walking/ standing sometimes. I think it just how I'm holding myself. Sorry for the long essay!

Sounds like you're off to a great start. Keep on keeping on!

Welcome to BoneSmart and the other side of surgery!
What I really want to be able to do is have a bath, shave my legs ;) ; and get back to swimming - which was my exercise pre op.
You will be able to get back to all this and more. It just takes time. Your incision needs to be fully heals to get into any water. We don't want to risk an infection.

Here are your recovery guidelines:
Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
We are all different, as are the approaches to this recovery and rehab. The key is, “Find what works for YOU.“ Your doctor(s), physiotherapist(s) and BoneSmart are here to help. But you have the final decision as to what approach you use.

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of this BoneSmart philosophy for sensible post op therapy
5. Here is a week-by-week guide for Activity progression for THRs
6. Access these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Hello and welcome to BoneSmart. Thanks for joining us!

What I really want to be able to do is have a bath, shave my legs ;)

I guess showers will have to suffice for a bit. Consider an electric razor as an option for now if you can comfortably do that, or a Giraffe razor is another option you‘ll find in the Recovery Aids article below -

You're doing great. Keep it up and have a wonderful week!

Does anyone on here swim, and if so what's the earliest that you sent back to swimming please? I'm thinking initially of possibly just walking in the pool, maybe a little floating on my back. My wound is healed, but I'm still on total restrictions from a no internal rotation/ bending forward perspective.

Hi @JulieH I think that is a conversation to have with your Surgical team. They best know what they did for you when doing your THR. What might be good for one of us on the forum might not be what was best for you.

Swimming does sound lovely though and I hope you get the go ahead from your Dr. :swim:

Thanks both. I'm 4 weeks on Thursday (should probably have given my thread a different title), though I appreciate that probably isn't enough to make a difference. I don't see the surgeon again until 8 October which seems ages away, and don't have any PT sessions. I was just given a list of exercises, which broadly feature in the list that the forum seems to think not necessarily helpful. I'm very lucky though, I can do them. I'll concentrate on my walking for another week or 2.

Good idea to be patient. I think the general rule of thumb is 6 weeks? But so many things need factored in.

You can call the surgeon's office to find out their policy/recommendation on when it's safe to swim. You don't need to talk to the surgeon for that. A nurse or an office assistant can get that information.

And you really do want to find out what your surgeon's thinking is. There is no one recommendation on this.

Thanks both. I'm 4 weeks on Thursday (should probably have given my thread a different title), though I appreciate that probably isn't enough to make a difference. I don't see the surgeon again until 8 October which seems ages away, and don't have any PT sessions. I was just given a list of exercises, which broadly feature in the list that the forum seems to think not necessarily helpful. I'm very lucky though, I can do them. I'll concentrate on my walking for another week or 2.
Hi
Have you thought about using OneStep ? It’s a PT app which I’ve used for the last 6 weeks pre/post my LHR on 5th August this year. It’s been great for me !!

Hi
Have you thought about using OneStep ? It’s a PT app which I’ve used for the last 6 weeks pre/post my LHR on 5th August this year. It’s been great for me !!

I agree with all who’ve suggested you contact your surgeons office and speak with a member of his care team. My surgeon was super conservative in this regard and advised against baths, swimming pools, hot tubs, lakes etc, until I was three months post op. I haven’t heard of many other surgeons as strict as mine was, but I have read of a few here. This is simply an example of how surgeons protocol on recovery can vary greatly.
Happy Four Week Anniversary tomorrow! :)
@JulieH

I waited but mainly because of weather as we have an outdoor pool. It would be best to contact your OS and ask them the question. One thing about pool walking was I found it to be great but real easy to twist the wrong way.

One thing about pool walking was I found it to be great but real easy to twist the wrong way.

True and also easy to overdo it.

Thanks everyone, in particular re the twisting the wrong way and One-step. I'll look into it.

Well I'm 6 weeks today. I see the surgeon next Friday so find out then if I'm done with total hip restrictions. To be honest the sleeping with a pillow between my legs has got easier, and this morning when I bent my knee, it felt normal and not ridiculously tight - for the first time. Still can't actually bend it so I can touch my lower calf at the back though.
Been more sore this week but I'm putting that down to I've been doing more in terms of school runs, taking the children to their clubs and, over last weekend and the beginning of the week - a walk each day. That stopped Tuesday when I started feeling sore.
This was my last 4 day week for work and I'm back to full time next week - I was using up holiday. I'm not looking forward to that, I think the sitting at 90 degrees is contributing to being uncomfortable. On the plus side I'm off at the end of the month for a week. Just hoping work continues to let me work from home for the foreseeable.

Happy Six Week Anniversary!
I still use a pillow between my legs while side sleeping 4+ yrs post op. I find it most comfortable. Good news that your knee is feeling less tight.
I think your wise to modify your activity level while you’re feeling sore. You are most likely overdoing it. Ease back in slowly.

I wish you the best as you return to work full time and look forward to the time you’ll have off at the end of the month. it will be the prize for any discomfort you experience in the early weeks of your return. Best wishes for your visit with the surgeon next Friday. Please let us know how it goes.
A wonderful weekend to you!
@JulieH

Hi, well I saw the surgeon this morning (my current favourite person) and he's happy. We chatted and I'm to continue with total hip restrictions until the 3mth point then gradually return to normal, with ultimately no restrictions. He checked leg length and the difference is down from 1.5" to roughly 0.5cm and he says if you measure most people you'll get a 0.5cm difference. Less than a cm isn't really felt.
Review in 10mths - and I'm allowed to swim!

Woohoo! Nice update. Thanks for sharing @JulieH
It’s such a good feeling and so reassuring to get a nod from your surgeon that you’re progressing as you should.
Enjoy those swims and stay in touch! :swim:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks