THR 3 weeks post op and I have regrets

Also —
I had anterior surgery, which scared the h*ll out of me, because I'd read that my condition (acetabular protrusio, coupled with osteopenia) was challenging, especially for an anterior approach.
But my surgeon is young and knowledgeable and trained in this approach, so I read orthopedic journals, asked questions, and decided to "feel the fear and do it anyway."

No restrictions, in spite of the bone graft, et. al.

Which is good, because I immediately resumed forward bends and being on my knees as far as they'd let me.

Try to stop panicking. Your fears are rational, but won't help your healing. The incidence of dislocation from anterior approach surgery is very low. Very. Low.

My surgeon and I were talking about "restrictions" at my 2-week follow-up. He said that "people will tell you this and that," and I told him that he'd told me "no restrictions" and I'd taken that to heart.

This ain't your grandma's hip replacement surgery.
:

@Scared one
A quad cane makes me feel like a senior citizen (which I am, kicking and screaming all the way).
I've made my trekking poles a fashion statement.
You can't lean on them the way you do on a cane, but they help keep you centered and upright and, in my case, prevent limping.

Hey :wave:
Just noticed I missed a special day. A belated Happy One Month Anniversary!
I hope with each passing week, you’re adjusting to the newness of it all. Hopefully your days are feeling brighter and you had a good weekend. Always remember…we’re here for you. :)
@Scared one

Thank you, I appreciate your thoughtfulness.
This Wednesday 11/10 will be 5 weeks.

Which side do you keep the cane on? My OS didn't want me to use a cane, recommended walking poles.

Which side do you keep the cane on? My OS didn't want me to use a cane, recommended walking poles.
If using one cane, it goes in your hand on your good side, opposite your replaced hip. Stride with replaced side and cane at the same time, together.

Thanks I appreciate that :)

I am 5 weeks post op today
It has gone by so slow, it feels like 5 months
I can relate. I was tearing out my hair after a month, even though I felt that I would eventually be fine.
Six weeks was a turning point for me; I hope it is for you, too.
(I'm 11 weeks post-op, using my trekking poles, otherwise still walking wonky.)

I am 5 weeks post op today
It has gone by so slow, it feels like 5 months

What I found helps in these early slumps of boredom is to plan out your day “ahead of time” it’s too easy early on to sit around if you don’t have a game plan for the day. It doesn’t need to be a daily outing, although that can be a positive experience and a good thing, but a plan for activity to occupy you physically and mentally truly helps. Time will start flying by the stronger you get and more involved in life become.
Make today a great day! :wave:

:hi: Well…another week has passed. Wondering how you’re doing at six weeks post op? Hopefully you’re feeling more confident, experiencing less pain and an improved ability to comfortably do more physically. Let us know how it’s going for you when you have time.
Happy Thursday…I hope it’s a good one.
@Scared one

Good morning…
From day one The only hip precautions I was given by my OS was don’t pivot on surgical leg and don’t put my leg behind and turn my foot me as in a yoga pose. But I chose to do all hip precautions until my 8 week post op appointment.

So in two weeks I will get X-rays and Ibqm hoping everything is healing well. At that point I will feel better and lift my own restrictions unless my OS says otherwise.

I am still using a cane. I have tried a few steps without a cane but limp too much
so I am continuing with the cane. I do feel like I am getting a little stronger each week but I am going slow and trying not to rush or overdo anything as this forum recommends.

I get pain that moves around. It is amazing how that happens. Last night my big toe on my surgical leg was having waves of pain. Today I feel some pain in the upper part of my leg when I walk .

You sound good and it seems you’re doing well! I lightly imposed restrictions on myself also, even though my surgeon didn’t :heehee: I’m one of those extra cautious types that figure what’s good for some, can‘t hurt. Sorry if I already shared this before (?) here, I didn’t go back to look.

I hope you’re practicing the heel-toe walking with the cane. It truly does help, but you have to practice it mindfully each time you walk. It made me feel stronger / steadier on my feet and more in control of my gait.

I remember those pains you mentioned above. Early on they caused a little anxiety, but each pain or odd sensation was normally short-lived and replaced by another. After a time, you just ignore them unless the same pain escalates in intensity, or frequency.

I hope the next couple weeks fly by for you. I think you’ll feel better mentally once your OS’s and your self imposed restrictions are over. Oh Happy Day! :happydance:
Thanks for sharing an update.
@Scared one

:hi:Good Morning
I hope you’re doing well and feeling better about your recovery. Wondering if you had your appointment yet? If so, how did it go….if you don’t mind sharing the news here.
If you haven’t had your appointment yet, I wish you all the best and hope the news is good and very reassuring for you.
Have a wonderful weekend!
@Scared one

I am 8 weeks and 2 days post op…

I’m not really sure what to think or what’s going on.

To be fair ….My quadricep on my surgical side has been very tight since day 1. For the first 5 weeks I didn’t “do much “ just rested.

I would say my activity has increased over the last 3 weeks but I am still using a cane. I have tried walking without it in the house every week as a tester but limped and felt pain so continued with the cane.

I had to go up and down my stairs a lot last weekend, still using the bannister for support. I did try doing one leg after another to work on my range of motion but still using the bannister for supporting my weight and my quadricep is still very tight.

My OS told me at my 8 week appointment to try doing more and try walking without the cane at home as I was only doing a few shuffle steps without a cane in the bathroom and kitchen.

OS said I could do elliptical without resistance so I did 20 minutes and it felt great, no pain

I did a few “laps” in the house without the cane and had a lot of thigh pain. I had to go
back to the cane.

so I’m not sure if it’s over did it pain or if
I have a loose stem.?

I know my activity has increased but I haven’t been able to get off the cane even at 4 or 5 weeks when I was still pretty inactive.

All I do know is that I can’t walk without a cane , I have pain and it has been this way every time I’ve tried to walk without it

The pain is in the middle of my thigh

I walk great with the cane
Very smooth , pretty good pace and no pain

Hi @Scared one If you are walking smoothly and easily with the cane, I don’t think anything is likely to be loose. Just keep using the cane until you don’t need it anymore. That time will come. It’s not something that happens at the same rate for everyone. I think its important that you do walk as much as is comfortable as that’s a good way of strengthening your musculature. Continuing with the elliptical is probably helpful too.

Hi again,
Thanks for sharing an update on your progress.
have tried walking without it in the house every week as a tester but limped and felt pain so continued with the cane.
Is it pain, or an unusual / uncomfortable sensation? Wondering what your surgeon had to say about it at your recent appointment. Was his advice to try more activity and attempts at walking without an assistive device after you described the pain to him?
I had to go up and down my stairs a lot last weekend, still using the bannister for support.
Seems very normal to me. It can take time to feel comfortable navigating stairs without relying on the bannister.
I did a few “laps” in the house without the cane and had a lot of thigh pain. I had to go
back to the cane.
Try putting less and less weight / pressure on the cane, while still holding onto it for support and security.
Walk a lap, and if successful do only one lap each day for a couple days then gradually start increasing the time you walk these laps without the cane…see how it goes.

On the chance that you’re reading / looking for threads in an effort to diagnose your pain or discomfort, I’d caution you against doing so. It’s a great temptation, but if you tend toward anxiety, doing this may only heighten it. Try to concentrate on your surgeon‘s advice and unless the pain is increasing in frequency, or intensity, it’s most likely just part of the healing process. It is still early days for you in the entire scheme of things. It will get better.
I hope you have a nice weekend!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom