THR 3 weeks out

Suesf88

Country
United States United States
HD surgery on right hip 3 weeks ago. Doing great but I think I over did it and have a pain which feels like it’s in the joint. Feeling frustrated since I feel like I’m going backwards!! Has anyone overdone it and had to step back on everything????

Not sue what you mean by HD surgery @Suesf88 but almost all of us here have joined the ODIC (over did it club) at one time or another. For myself 3 weeks was a real danger zone because I was starting to feel so much better. Unfortunately our hips don't seem to tell us we are doing too much at the time, but that night or the next day they speak up loud and clear.:censored: One of your best friend now and for a while yet is icing 45-60 minutes at a time frequently. :ice::ice: One of the moderators will be along soon to share the BoneSmart guidelines with you. Stop by frequently there are a lot of experienced folks on the site and it's a great place to get advice or just get a rant off your chest to folks who understand and sympathize.

Thanks...I’m just worried I did damage. I do ice regularly!!

Oh. Sorry HD was suppose to say Had

Hello @Suesf88 - and :welome:

Please will you tell us the full date of your hip surgery and what sort of surgery it was, so we can make a signature for you? Knowing the exact date will help us to advise you appropriately in the future.
Thank you.:flwrysmile:

Hips actually don't need a lot of exercise or activity, but they do need gentle treatment and time to heal.

There is no deadline you have to meet.
Recovery takes quite a long time - as long as a full year for some people - so there's no need to rush. You'll be able to do almost everything long before a year is up.

Here are the recovery guidelines we give to everyone with a new hip:

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

6. Access these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in the majority of BoneSmart’s forums, we ask that each member have only One Recovery Thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review the member’s history before providing advice, so please post any updates or questions you have right here in this thread.

I think it's very unlikely you did any damage, the replacements themselves are pretty tough. The soft tissue around that area though has been very traumatized. Someone on the boards compared it to being hit by a car in a sterile environment. :yikes: It's amazing what all they do to us during surgery, there are videos available if you are brave enough to watch them I haven't been yet!

My surgery was March 4th 2020. I had a posterior hip replacement.

Hello and Welcome to BoneSmart! Thanks for joining us.

Not quite sure what you did that has you feeling as though you’ve overdone it. Could you please explain your current activity level and what type of pain / discomfort you’re dealing with? Maybe we can help by offering suggestions through our own experiences.

Please familiarize yourself with the Recovery Guidelines, Celle, left you above and pay special attention to the article on ICE. If followed, it should bring you relief.

The ACTIVITY PROGRESSION FOR THR which you’ll fine under Number 5 is a rough gauge you may want to consider following in these early weeks. The suggested level of activity should keep you in the safe zone during the first couple months of recovery.

Be safe and stay well. A great weekend to you!
@Suesf88

For me at 3 weeks it wouldn't have taken much to over do it. 3 weeks is very early on with my first I over did it at 3 mos. It takes a while to get over the trauma of this surgery.

I actually drove to the bank and went up and down the stairs too many times!! I’m stubborn and thick headed!! I’m so independent that I went too far!! I really regret it!! That was on Tuesday and Wednesday. I am just very sore in the joint area. I do get a lot of relief with ice and I don’t have pain at rest. Not sure if I shoul continue with my walking or wait til soreness is gone.

Hello and Happy Saturday! :wave:
You’re in what we refer to around here as the ODIC. The Over Did It Club.
Many of us learn our limitations the hard way so you’re in good company here. I’d lay low for a couple of days and ice all areas of pain or discomfort several times per day, no less than 45-60 minutes each session. Once you’re feeling good again, slowly begin engaging while being mindful not to overdo it.
Wishing you comfort and a pleasant weekend.
Take care, be safe, stay well!
@Suesf88

@Suesf88 Please remember this is very major surgery. You are not going to get back to any kind of normal activity for quite awhile. Trying to push through is only going to set you back. Read the article Celle left you about how long does healing take. Soft tissues and muscles are in trauma. Rest, ice and elevate and don't push. You are in recovery - not in training.

Yes...I know!! Felt good and pushed it alittle!! I learned my lesson! Today I’m feeling much better. Slow and steady!

I am in the exact situation. I had an anterior total hip replacement on March 10, 2020. I did incredible after surgery and very little pain. I walked the night of without a walker. Was amazed. Now 4 weeks later I started having this pain and burning sensation and couldn't keep in one position for more than a couple minutes. I've been freaking out all night. My phone had different search results and this site was not listed. I only found it when I scared myself enough to get computer. I feel much relieved seeing this thread, though after what read before still calling doctor monday. I have been walking a quarter of a mile twice a day and still was getting 5k+ steps in. I did organize my home office yesterday morning and while thought that could be in, my mind decided to go elsewhere. What a great site.

Always best to have Dr check it!!! My pain took a good two days of rest and ice to feel better! Good Luck at appointment! I have my first post op tomorrow!!

Hello and Happy Sunday!
Wishing you all the best at your appointment tomorrow. Let us know how it goes, if you care to share.
A great day to you! :SUNsmile:
@Suesf88

@Suesf88 Please excuse this minor derail as we invite Anlea to formally join us.

Hello @Anlea :wave:
Welcome to BoneSmart. We’re happy you found us and would like to leave our Recovery Guidelines for you which you will find beneficial at only 19 days post op.
Once you start a thread we’ll be able to offer advice, encouragement and support tailored to your personal issues and recovery. Following are instructions on starting your own thread. https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/starting-a-new-thread-and-posting.57719/

Please join us! :) We hope to hear from you soon.

I've often noticed that those most prone to overdoing are those that have a smooth, easy start. It's so hard to self monitor when you are feeling good and anxious to get back to your previous active life. Best advice----go slow to go fast. You won't regret it. And if you do overdo, just do a reset. Go back to doing the same things you were doing the first week or so---ice, rest, pain meds, etc. and typically you will settle things down. Good luck.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back