THR 3 weeks in RTHR

Hipsway

Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
hi there! I joined the forum this morning, I have been reading for a few weeks now as I had THR (right hip, anterior approach) on 22nd August here in the UK. The op itself went really well and I was discharged the following day.
The first week to ten days were difficult, especially sleep but that seems to have gotten a lot easier this last week. Most things have. I did got to see a PT this week who gave me some exercises but nothing too strenuous.
This last week I have been walking in the house unaided, I use one crutch for support when I am outside mainly for fear of falling (though I have tripped over it a couple of times lol). I have two flights of stairs up to my flat but I have been using the handrail, finding now I can go up and down pretty much as normal. Here in the UK we are not allowed to drive for 6 weeks but I feel as though I could easily drive, particularly as its my right and not left hip so clutch control wouldn’t be a problem.
All in all, I am delighted with the way things are going and I wanted to share that. Yesterday I got the bus into town by myself, had a good wander round the shops and even got my hair done. All without that horrible, crippling, bone grinding pain that was making life so difficult before. I Actually felt quite emotional!
Thanks for listening, looking forward to being part of the community

Hi @Hipsway and :welome: to Bonesmart.
I'm glad your surgery is done and your recovery is going so well.
Getting rid of that horrid hip pain IS amazing and I, too, was euphoric (once I got through those toughest weeks) to know I would be back to my life.
Slow and steady is the best way so you don't set yourself back.
I'll leave you our recovery guidelines and you will find lots of great information there to help you on this journey
Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary​
2. Control discomfort
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT​
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

6. Access to these pages on the website

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Thank you so much mojo. The first couple of weeks were certainly tough. Constipation (bleug) sleep all over the place, swelling, bruising etc. But the difference I can see in just a week might be encouraging to those still in the early days. I just kept telling myself that everything I was going through was temporary and inevitable post op. Now I feel so excited and hopeful for a pain free future thanks to the skill of the surgeon and the excellent care I received. Don’t worry, I won’t push myself too hard, I'm listening to my body and not rushing recovery, I am also glad to have found this forum it has certainly helped me through the tough times reading everyone’s posts.

Hello and Welcome to BoneSmart! Thanks for joining us.
At three weeks post op you hopefully have the worst behind you now. Using the crutch out in public in these early weeks is wise as it’s a clear signal for others to give you space.

Yesterday I got the bus into town by myself, had a good wander round the shops and even got my hair done. All without that horrible, crippling, bone grinding pain that was making life so difficult before. I Actually felt quite emotional!

Awesome progress! It is emotional to be able to do the things once again that became so difficult as your hip deteriorated. It’s like a re-birth, a second chance. It’s miraculous and something I’m still thankful for, but nothing beats that high in those early weeks of realization the the surgery really is a life changer. Enjoy and have a lovely week!
Hope to see you here again soon. :wave:

thanks Layla. It’s funny I remember thinking before the op that surely one procedure couldn’t fix it all. I had a lot of referred pain in my knee, the pain across my lower back was excruciating at times. Couldn’t imagine in my head they could fix it, and they have! I feel very, very fortunate

I can relate. I had issues with my lower back, which I assumed was related...to my back.
Thankfully, once I had my hip replaced, my back hasn’t bothered me.
Have a great week! :SUNsmile:
@Hipsway

Today was halfway through week 4 and boy was I tired! I had a good 8 hours sleep last night but in spite of that I had no energy and just felt drained. I didn’t overdo it yesterday but the day before I may have stretched myself a bit with the walking. Is this lack of energy normal at this stage? Haven’t really felt it up till now.

Hip replacement is a major surgery. You will have these “energy drain” days off and on through your recovery for a while. It’s kinda like a roller coaster but they eventually even out to where you feel more like yourself. That varies with everyone. It’s all normal. Just remember our hips are in charge of their recoveries and are happy to remind us of when we’ve pushed too hard. Lol. Rest when your body tells you to and you’ll get there with flying colors. Blessings for continued good healing. ❤️

Thanks Hip4life! I do feel better today. I did have weird knee pain that woke me up a few times last night. All part of the process I guess! I am going shopping with. My daughter today at A local mall, going to use one of their wheelchairs as it’s a massive place and I am not taking any chances!

Hope you had fun shopping, so nice to get out and feel good again. Smart move on using the wheelchair to be safe and not overdo.

That info About energy drain was really helpful, thank you. Feeling good today, knee pain seems to have gone. The wheelchair was a godsend yesterday but I have to say I am so grateful to be a temporary user. It was an eye opener to experience first hand how people in a busy shopping centre don’t actually seem to see wheelchair users!

It was an eye opener to experience first hand how people in a busy shopping centre don’t actually seem to see wheelchair users!

This surgery has a way of making us appreciate much we took for granted. At least I felt that way. Nice to read you’re having a good day and your knee is better. Hope you enjoyed getting out yesterday.

Have a lovely weekend! :)

:hi: Happy One Month Anniversary @Hipsway
Hope you had a great weekend and you enjoy the week we’re in. Stay in touch as time allows, we love to read updates.
Take good care!

7 weeks on, progressing nicely. Walking unaided ( still a slight limp), little or no pain relief needed. I’m really feeling more or less back to myself. Love my new hip, love being able to walk without pain. I can do most things, I even had a bath today stepped right in and right back out again. Bliss

Hello @Hipsway
What a wonderful update. Thank you so much for sharing.
I can imagine how you loved the bath.:bath: so relaxing.
I have a tip for the limp -
Try heel-toe walking when you're limping.
This involves striking the ground with your heel first, then rolling through your heel to your toe, and pushing out of the step with your toe.
It takes a concentrated effort, but I believe you'll notice a difference. Give it a try.
Have a great weekend!

Wonderful update. It does take time and concentration to break the limping habit. The heel/toe walking Layla mentioned really works. I actually had to say it out loud at first to make sure I was doing it and then in my head. I found for a while that if I hurried or got off my normal pace I would limp and had to stop and start over with heel/toe to correct myself.

Have a wonderful day.

Happy Two Month Anniversary!
I hope all continues to go well for you.
Please stop by and update once in awhile. We’d love to hear how you’re progressing.
Here’s to happiness and continued healing!
@Hipsway

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member