Fractured Neck of Femur/Pinning 3 weeks after pinning and I'm scared

Great update @MMCDOWELL ! So glad this is working for you. I am sure your post will encourage and motivate others here.

@MMCDOWELL . Im 38 fit male. just broke my hip 3 weeks ago and had the pinning surgery. iam going through the same feelings you are. im wondering is there any way you can now update me on your story to give me hope?

@zippa1913
Hoping MCDOWELL is continuing to do well...hasn't been on thread for a really long time.
You should start a thread so you can get some feedback and guidelines.
Let us know if you need help with that.

@zippa1913
I was waiting to see if you started your own thread but since you have not, I wanted to contact you.
I broke my hip in a bicycle accident almost 4 years ago.
The fracture was deemed as not displaced and they tried pinning it.
It did not work out and ended up with a replacement.
Having said that here are some details that are important.
My surgery was done about 2 and 1/2 days after the accident (the sooner the better)
I'm much older, I was 61 when I had it done
And this is the most important thing I want to communicate; I was recovering at home with no weight bearing. I think this went on for 6 weeks maybe 8.
I had x rays taken on my post surgery follow up visits and the bones were healing.
They showed me the images and pointed out "evidence of knitting" which is how they refer to bones healing.
But then I started physical therapy.
The exercise were way too aggressive and should have walked out.
On the next visit after the exercises started the x rays showed evidence of "non union" (3rd set of x rays )
An area that had been healing started to go bsd.
I can't help but think that if I had never been referred to physical therapy it may have worked
So do everything you can to make sure that if they refer you to physical therapy the therapists know what they are doing,
Or as the forum advisers always say, walking is the best exercise.
Feel free to contact me (on your own thread)

Well, I'm back. 17 weeks post op. My hip has done really well for the past several months. No real pain. Last week I began feeling a bit of pain in the back of my leg and right in the middle of my buttock. I went for what I thought would be my last Dr's visit. He said there are signs my hip is failing.

Though there wasn't much on the xray yet the pain has increased a great bit. Mental because I now know? Dr said it's not necessary immediately because I'm still walking well and not in need of any pain meds. I guess the question is, is there any other reason other than failure that can cause pain in the back of the buttock? It's at it's worse if I'm sitting. The hip never seems to hurt. I'd love any thoughts.

Hi @MCDOWELL
. I went for what I thought would be my last drs. visit. He said there are signs my hip is failing. Though there wasn't much on the xray yet the pain has increased a great bit. Mental because I now know?
I can only imagine it does make you mentally strained!:unsure:
I am sorry it appears that you will have to have another surgery at some point.
I am tagging @Josephine so she can give some input/advice.
I honestly don't have the knowledge of your procedure to be of any use but I Do hope this can get sorted and am sending you virtual hugs!:console2:

Hello @MMCDOWELL
Please will you tell us the full date of your accident and the full date of your hip pinning. Was it the left or the right hip? If you can tell us those dates, we'll put them into a signature for you, which will show at the bottom of every post you make.

Thank you. :flwrysmile: :flwrysmile:

Last week I began feeling a bit of pain in the back of my leg and right in the middle of my buttock.
Perhaps you would show me the site of this pain using this chart

aa hip-references-horz.jpg

@MMCDOWELL . Im 38 fit male. just broke my hip 3 weeks ago and had the pinning surgery.

Hi @zippa1913,

I hope your recovery has gone well and the repair remains successful. I’m also a 38 year old fit male who just broke his hip about 3 weeks ago... looks like just about one year after you. I had hip pinning surgery on 12/30/19. I’m hoping that you may still be following this forum as I’m interested to see how your recovery has gone. I didn’t really understand the severity of the injury until after my surgery. The surgeon told me of the possibility of failure of the procedure, but I was surprised by the high level of failure I’ve read about after with this type of repair. I’ve always been fairly active and I’m concerned about what my recovery may look like, as I’m sure most people are at this point. So any wisdom you or anyone else can offer is appreciated.

Hi @mikepapagolf
Sorry for your unfortunate accident that led you here.
I'm not sure if either of these members will check in but please consider starting a thread so you can get some feedback.
Here is how you do it. https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/starting-a-new-thread-and-posting.57719/
But if you need some help, let us know and we can set it up for you.

You may also find this a helpful tool to find some folks who have had hip pinned.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
GordieO
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom