Bilateral TKR 3 months and loving life<

From the outline of your days, it doesn't sound as if you're elevating/icing very much. At not two months post-op and with the pain you have, the majority of your time should be elevating/icing. Can you find a way to elevate at work? Did you elevate at the movies and lunch? I always mad sure I could prop my leg up at a restaurant and would only go to the movies if I could sit in a recliner. To get a good range of motion you need to get the swelling down and elevation/ice is the way that will happen.

The best extention (straightening) exercise for me was bridging it between a chair and ottoman a few times everyday. It may take a month, but this recovery is long and progress happens slowly. Using the warm water of bath is a good idea though it will take some time.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am going to do a gentle ride on the recumbent bike today
This will help with soreness/stiffness. Nice and gentle, just a few minutes at a time.
I did no hydro or exercises ( felt very guilty!)
don't feel that way, cutting back on exercise is a 'considered recovery strategy' not 'doing nothing'.

Well done on getting into a bath by the way! I couldn't believe you were doing so much so soon. I'm glad you're cutting back a bit. With a 7 year old you'll need to make a good recovery and that's not necessarily a quick one! Good luck.

Had a Foxtel binge today. Iced and elevated all day. Below is my current position!

Attachments

• IMG_20170122_200901.jpg
    IMG_20170122_200901.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 174
@Roxy35 I really appreciate your effort to completely describe your pain :swoon:because it helped me find out what's going on with my own knee.:holysheep:

@Josephine Ah! Pes Anserine and ITB pain references were spot on for me! Thank you so much for continuing on with your work on this forum. You are a godsend! :wow: (Same is true for all of the helpful forum advisors. Just didn't know how to include you all in my acknowledgment of your work.) :thankyou:

Hi everyone. It's been 3 weeks since I checked in. I'm now just over 9 weeks post op. I had 3 days of doing nothing other than ADL after all of the previous advice (3 weeks ago) and unfortunately for me it made me worse.

On the Monday I attempted to ride my recumbent bike and screamed in pain when I tried a revolution. I went to work and left after 2 hours and drove straight to hydro which I hadn't done for a few days. It felt amazing and "lubricated" my knees again straight away. The next morning I could ride the bike again. The pain persisted in my left leg and to be honest today is the first day I haven't felt it.

In the last 3 weeks I am slowly building up work day, I'm doing about 4 hours, 3 days a week. I'm back to doing hydro/pool 5 days a week and walking around my block most days. I rarely use aids but do if I feel I'm tired. Afternoons I am shattered so structure my morning to achieve what ever needs to be done.

I went away to an Island for a 4 day weekend. I fished standing up for the first time in years! I walked on the beach and did my hydro exercises in the sea.

I started swimming laps as part of my pool exercise this week. It feels good to be doing something that benefits all over my body rather than just focusing on my legs. Did 16 laps the other day but only managed 10 today but not from knee pain just from lack of fitness!

I continue to have brain fog which affects everything! I am so slow to do things, don't concentrate well at work and struggle with my memory. Fatigue in the afternoons is all consuming and can't be ignored. I had a good cry I think mainly from frustration and impatience a couple of days ago, but progress is happening!

I'm going out to a couple of shows tonight. I'm not fearing that they are in different venues 5 minutes apart. That has not happened for years! I'll probably take one crutch just so people don't bump me.

Thanks again for being "here" with me.

Hi everyone
I had a very emotional day yesterday. I have been feeling really frustrated at how long this process takes. I think my headspace is struggling with the fact that every decision I make has to cross check with what my knees may need first.
My PT told me last week when I expressed my growing frustration that she warned me it takes 9 months to feel normal again.
Yesterday I had a bath and for the first time couldn't get out. I don't know why. I just sat their and cried and cried and cried. I think I needed that as its been building for a few weeks. Eventually I managed to get out but it just reminded me how this is such a roller coaster ride.

A good cry sometimes is very therapeutic. Full recovery can take up to a year but you'll slowly get better on your knees schedules. ( you've got two you have to listen to so you're outnumbered!:heehee:).

Just think where you were the day after surgery. You are doing much better now. In a few months you'll look back to now and you will see that you've again made good progress. Hang in there.

I tell people that tears are healing. That good cry in the bath probably did you the world of good.

For future reference for anyone contemplating taking a bath, do try a dry run first. It's much better to be rescued while you are dry and fully clothed than when you're wet and naked.

To get out of my bath, I have to turn over onto my tummy and gradually walk my hands back towards my feet. I guess it must look a bit like an elephant - not elegant at all, but quite effective.

Thanks @Celle and @newlybionic. I have been having baths for weeks now so not sure what yesterday's struggle was all about.
I know I am making progress but I really had no idea it would be this all consuming.

It's a rare person that goes into this surgery with full knowledge. A lot of it IMO is that the surgeons don't give the patients the full picture before surgery. I remember going back to my original OS after a few months because I was still in pain. He told me then it could take up to a year to heal. He then went next door and through the very thin walls told someone contemplating TKR that they would be back to normal in 4 to 6 weeks. I almost went to that exam room to let the woman know that's not the full truth.

FB_IMG_1488354312607.jpg
Hi everyone
3 month anniversary today and I'm loving life! Things have changed dramatically in the last 2 weeks. My fog has cleared, my energy levels have improved and I'm doing activities I haven't done for years. The constant chronic pain I lived in for 10 years or more has been replaced by subtle aches and some night pain. I am still on pain meds though so of course they are helping.
My last weekend we spent at a beach resort, fishing, swimming, playing with the local wildlife. Life is good, I am so pleased I have had this surgery.
I hope you don't mind if I share some photographs.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would also love if someone could change my thread title to 3 months and loving life. Thank you.

FB_IMG_1488354285709.jpg

I'm the one diving for the ball. So good to be doing family activities again.

Hi everyone
It's my knees 1 year birthday today. What a ride!
My life is soooo different now. I can actually walk, stand in lines, go shopping, chat to people without needing to find a seat, go fishing without a chair. Just such simple things.
I take no medications at all, I would say I have no pain but I do still have scar tenderness and some swelling below my knees.
I still have a bit of a struggle getting off my couch and out of the bath but they are the only things that I have to 'think" about.
I asked what type of prosthetic I had today as I had no idea.
I have smith and nephew prosthetics made from Oxidized Zirconium and XLPE. They were done with Visionaire which is a customised cutting system made from 3d MRI's. It means nothing to me but is nice to know.
I'm a little confused that I haven't lost any weight as my activity levels are back to where they were 10 plus years ago.
My surgeon told me today I am 1000 percent better than he expected based on the severity of the starting point (they should have been replaced many years earlier but I'm not even 50 yet!).

So pleased I did it. Was very hard with the fatigue and meds and brain fog etc. But so very, very, very worth it.
They say life begins at 40. Mine has certainly started again at 47.
Thanks great people.

Roxy35,
Thanks for the update, wonderful to hear how well you are doing. Your knee will continue to heal over time. The scar tenderness and mild swelling should resolve given enough time.
:yay:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member